PDA

View Full Version : First detailing attempt review

jeepnxj3
02-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Well after months of gathering product and patiently waiting to have access to a place I can do all the work, I started my full detail yesterday on my Acura. I enjoyed using all my new washing products:

P21S Total Auto Wash: This stuff worked fantastic, safely cleaning smaller painted areas (gas door, around exhaust, grilles, cracks, and crevices). I will be buying more!

CG Wash and Clear: I loved the smell of this, very fresh and clean! Worked great to help strip all of the Collinite 845 that was left over. It worked very well in the foam gun.

Sonax Wheel Cleaner: Worked great but I accidentally rinsed the wheels off before hand which didn't allow the product to fully dissolve all the contaminants. A little scrubbing helped it along.

Got everything cleaned and then clayed.

Then I started polishing. Let's just say I have A LOT of learning to do. M105 takes some practice but I think I finally found my groove. I was using way too much product at first and it ended up everywhere as most have experienced. I was still playing with product and pads at this point and it was getting late. I stopped without any real progress but did have some knowledge to start tackling it today.

This morning I started fresh and made some head way, finishing 105 on the hood and moving to the driver's door. In the middle of the driver's door, my griot's ROP just stopped. It wasn't hot and I wasn't using too much pressure. I tried a different plug and messed around with the cord but no luck. It did start sparking internally after a few minutes and that's when I admitted defeat. I still have no idea what happened to it but Autogeek was quick to send me another one out today.

So I have a partially detailed vehicle that won't be able to be polished out again for another couple months. It's upsetting that I have all the products I need but can't do anything with them (I have to drive down to my parent's house in order to have the area and garage to properly do the detailing since I live in an apartment complex). I just rewashed it to get all the dried m105 off and just threw a coat of Collinite 845 on it to keep it protected until next time.

It wash a fun experience, sometimes frustrating with the m105, but I can't wait to start again next time. I think I will order some 5.5" pads though as the 6" pads, although easily turned by the Griots machine, were rather large and harder to use in the tighter areas that were too big for my 4" pads. Also, one of my 4" LC hydrotech pads appeared to crap out on me. I was in the middle of using it and then it all of the sudden expanded out to almost double its size while the polisher was on. I turned it off and inspected the pad and noticed that it was now indented in the center of the pad. There is no structure in the middle and can easily be pressed down...? Any ideas what might have happened?

embolism
02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
apparently, hydrotechs need to be swapped out frequently, like every other panel, otherwise they don't last long.

Most of the time, it's the 5.5 inch pads doing it. Never heard of it happening with the 4 inch pads but I guess it makes sense.

I've only ever used LC flats and can get away with using 2-3 per step on a car. Don't think you want to try that with hydrotechs...

also never heard of a gg6 crapping out on first use. PCs, yes but never a gg. Can anyone comment on the setting of the brushes theory? I can't seem to find it but I know I read something about breaking in a DA when you first get it.

SC sid
02-16-2012, 05:40 PM
pics would help

jeepnxj3
02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Here are some pictures of the pad in question:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7049/6889080681_b79a1d2301_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7062/6889079829_598bcbdf3d_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7194/6889078253_3cfed87f22_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7177/6889078963_383e37c310_z.jpg

I have heard that the hydro-techs were not work horses but this was just ridiculous how short it lasted...

Setec Astronomy
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
You overheated that pad. Be careful with the 4" pads, you can not only overheat the pad/backing plate, you can also overheat the paint on the car, especially if you are working on a plastic panel like bumper covers or lower skirting.

jeepnxj3
02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
You overheated that pad. Be careful with the 4" pads, you can not only overheat the pad/backing plate, you can also overheat the paint on the car, especially if you are working on a plastic panel like bumper covers or lower skirting.

I was thinking that could have been the case after doing some digging. Are there any precautions I can take to prevent that from happening? Or do I just not use it as much and take breaks in between uses?

tw33k2514
02-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Less product (probably, i wasn't there...), less pressure, clean pad after every 1-2 panels.

jeepnxj3
02-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Less product (probably, i wasn't there...), less pressure, clean pad after every 1-2 panels.

Too much product very well could have caused its demise. I learned about using too much product a lot yesterday. :doh:

ExoticAutoDetai
02-17-2012, 02:02 AM
You can also have a spray bottle of water near a spray a mist of it once in a while to keep it from heating to much. I have seen some use IPA instead of water not sure if thats fine too or shouldn't be done and only water.