PDA

View Full Version : Rain beading........

ssnobrakes
02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
I usually have 1-2 coats of WG 3.0 sealant and a coat of Pinnacle spray wax on my car and the rain beads are usually very large drops. Yesterday I did a good wipe down with CG's p40 carnuba detailing spray and it rained last night and this morning. The car is now covered with very small rain beads. Is the size of the rain bead any indication of protection? Why would the bead size change and does it matter? Is there any preference to a hard core detailer?...............I hope this question isnt too stupid.........Thanks in advance

BrandonJ
02-16-2012, 03:38 PM
im curious to see if others chime in. i got larger beads using liquid souverian and klasse sealant. tried the wolfgang 3.0 sealant and now they are very very small.

Chris's FX4
02-16-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm curious to this as well.

Most of the beads from my WGDGPS are small, but do very from time to time depending on how much rain there is.

Stang Man
02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
It may depend a little bit on the rain, too. Hard rain you'll end up with big beads, drizzle or "dew" in the morning may leave you with small beads.

I love watching then roll off the car as you drive :)

Ted S.
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Don't care for beading as the rain here is at a pH in-between four and five. I like the water to shed off really good!

I would assume, and this is a long-shot, that larger beads indicate a wax with a higher hydrophobic capacity, but does not necessarily indicate better protection against other stochastic externalities.:props:

rider9195
02-16-2012, 04:00 PM
My car beads differently every time it rains. It all depends on when was the last time you washed your car, what soap did you use, any spray waxes/detailers, how dirty is your car now, the list goes on. As long the water doesn't pool on my car, I'm happy.

TRILLIS
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Does anyone believe water beading contributes to water spotting?

Should I be looking for a product that sheets water rather than beads?

Which product best achieves this?

Thanx in advance
CHEERS

rider9195
02-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Does anyone believe water beading contributes to water spotting?

Should I be looking for a product that sheets water rather than beads?

Which product best achieves this?

Thanx in advance
CHEERS

Most products sheet and bead water well. Some just do it better than others. As long as you have a couple good coats of sealant and wax on your paint you'll be fine from water spotting. I haven't washed my car since the beginning of December due to the weather and I can guarantee that there will be now hard water spots etched in. Just lots of dirt!

ssnobrakes
02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
I just found it interesting that I used a new, different product and the rain bead size is much smaller. I guess there are alot of factors like duration of rain, how hard it rains, the temperature, barametric pressure, etc.........

sparty
02-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I will chime in, as it is raining here today. This morning, on the way to work, I stopped for gas and the rain was heavy (large drops). The beading on my car was larger sized beads with some run-off. On the way home from work we had a drizzle/light rain. I stopped at the bank. Upon coming out of the bank, my beads were extremely small and no run-off. My car was washed and then treated with Blackfire WDPS.

So, I experienced two different forms of beading in the same day with the same product.

I think that may answer many questions. The type of rain seems to directly affect the size of the beading with the same product.

-Sparty