PDA

View Full Version : opti-coat 2 vs. eggs

Pages : [1] 2

pixelmonkey
02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
had a good question asked earlier this week.

was talking about my truck that was actually the worst it's looked in months after a recent round of snow and ice.

the conversation led to cost of waxes and types, and then opti-coat 2 was mentioned. I was then asked a question I couldnt answer!

how well would opti-coat 2 (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html) would stand up to a halloween egging.

thoughts? vendor thoughts?
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

Setec Astronomy
02-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Not going to stand up to eggshells any better than the substrate (your CC) underneath it.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Wont stand a chance against eggings.... One of my customers was unfortunately my real world test bed

Hoytman
02-16-2012, 11:34 AM
There's a product used by the DOT to spray on the new highly reflective road signs to remove the eggs. It's the only thing I've ever seen remove the stains completely. I've got a call in to retrieve the name of this product. As soon as I hear something I'll post the name of the product.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
There's a product used by the DOT to spray on the new highly reflective road signs to remove the eggs. It's the only thing I've ever seen remove the stains completely. I've got a call in to retrieve the name of this product. As soon as I hear something I'll post the name of the product.

It's not the stains that are most problematic but rather the fracturing of the clear coat from the impact of the shells that manifests itself in an obital patter

Hoytman
02-16-2012, 12:47 PM
It's not the stains that are most problematic but rather the fracturing of the clear coat from the impact of the shells that manifests itself in an obital patter

That may be. I've never had to deal eggs on paint, only on the new fangled reflection material on new road signs.

The product is called SOS, and SOS II (2) from State Industrial in Cleveland. It works to also remove graffiti from cars and buildings, sidewalks, marker stains, and works great on egg stains.

My friend just called me with the info off of the can, but I was unsuccessful in finding it in a search. I can buy it from my friend.

Stang Man
02-16-2012, 03:53 PM
I never thought about the shell causing issues, too.

Had the Z28 hit a couple years ago, found it just after it happened at a friend's house, so I used Dawn and my bare hands to ensure the yolk and whites were all removed.

I never actually checked for paint marks since I rinsed it off so quick, come to think of it I think the egg hit the glass and the insides splattered everywhere.

F*** I hate people, sometimes :(

LegacyGT
02-16-2012, 04:56 PM
It makes some kinda strange circular pock mark patterns. I saw a car that had a bunch recently, I need to get pictures of it.

supercharged
02-22-2012, 02:59 AM
there is only one way to find out...

TRILLIS
02-22-2012, 07:06 AM

Totally agree:The look on a customers face when you explain this is bad enough. It's unbelievable the damage an egg can do. Once you see this fracturing it will become your worst nightmare to have it done to your own ride.Would be good if somebody could post a pic.
CHEERS

skay944
02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
If the egg is a direct hit on the paint you will see chips in the paint in a circular pattern - had an audi that egged a few years back. I was able to buff out the egg where it discolored the paint but the chips were down to the primer. I tried touching it up but to make it right the panel had to be repainted.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-22-2012, 09:40 AM
If the egg is a direct hit on the paint you will see chips in the paint in a circular pattern - had an audi that egged a few years back. I was able to buff out the egg where it discolored the paint but the chips were down to the primer. I tried touching it up but to make it right the panel had to be repainted.

Classic egging damage!

Mustang81
02-22-2012, 10:10 AM
What the heck is wrong with people that they think it's funny to cause so much damage to somebody's personal property?

Setec Astronomy
02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
What the heck is wrong with people that they think it's funny to cause so much damage to somebody's personal property?

I don't think most people that throw eggs realize how it chips the paint, or would notice...I think most owners really won't see the damage as we do, just like they don't see swirls.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
I don't think most people that throw eggs realize how it chips the paint, or would notice...

I would say that people that go and egg someones car don't really care what damage it causes....

I think most owners really won't see the damage as we do, just like they don't see swirls.

This is much more noticeable than swirls....