PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Focus waxing

Jomax
02-16-2012, 09:44 AM
I just bought a 2012 focus with the Tri coat pearl white. Paint for cars in AZ get tested, what's steps should I take with the new paint? It's got minor swirl marks I want to remove, most likely going to use #205. For ultimate protection I was thinking #21 Meguairs paint sealant. Kind've new to all this so all opinions are welcome, I plan to keep this car for a long time. Thanks
( trying searching for a thread like this with no luck)

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

shoeless89
02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
M205 might not remove all the swirls since its a finishing polish. If not I would bump it up to a medium polish like Menzerna Power Finish or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Hopefully that's not needed though since its a new car. If you want the best protection possible IMO I would Opti-coat it. Are you doing all this by hand or machine?

Jomax
02-16-2012, 11:20 AM
I was going to buy a flexDA for my truck since its so big, but now that I have the car I'm going to buy a porter cable 7424xp and later on get the flex wen money allows and I think it's good to have two machines anyways. Maybe I shouldn't really say swirl marks more like being washed my a brush at the dealer kind of scratches. So optium is better then Meguiars I posted above?

Jomax
02-16-2012, 11:23 AM
M205 might not remove all the swirls since its a finishing polish. If not I would bump it up to a medium polish like Menzerna Power Finish or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Hopefully that's not needed though since its a new car. If you want the best protection possible IMO I would Opti-coat it. Are you doing all this by hand or machine?

Just read about opti coat. It's permanent??

shoeless89
02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Optimum and Meguiar's are both fantastic companies. Opinions about who's polish, compound, etc. is beter will differ widely. But M21 is a sealant and Optimum Opti-coat is a coating. One of the newest type of products to the detailing world. It last for ~2 years vs M21's ~6months. It also protects better against swirls, bird droppings, etc. Search the form for it and you'll find a wealth of knowledge about it.

shoeless89
02-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Just read about opti coat. It's permanent??

It's more of semi-permanent. If you use a polish you'll remove it and it will eventually wear off.

Jomax
02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Only thing I worry about is how to prepare the surface. So for two years I do nothing but wash and no scratches?

embolism
02-16-2012, 01:01 PM
it can still be scratched if you do not wash/dry properly

Jomax
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I two bucket wash my truck with a MF sponge and dry with an absorber. Before washing I rinse really good and areas where it's dirty are washed last. Sounds like a good technique???

duck_commander
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
i follow the same method you do... however, i've gotten away from the "Absorber" and now use Waffle Weave MF towels... i purchased the largest one they make, and the medium sized one as well... They are more than enough to dry my Super Crew F150...

mwoolfso
02-16-2012, 04:21 PM
It's more of semi-permanent. If you use a polish you'll remove it and it will eventually wear off.

With all due respect by that definition then clear coat is semi-permanent. I have always considered Opti-coat as permanent a layer as clear-coat; whereas a product like CQuartz due to its long durability arguably would be considered semi-permanent.

Danube
02-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I'd like to try opti coat asap .. looks promising.