PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else buy products just because they can?

Pages : [1] 2

Gungho_15
02-16-2012, 12:16 AM
I had a some buddies over today after I got back from the border with some new goodies. They asked me why I keep buying stuff because I have a TON of it. I simply said because I can and I like it. I seem to just buy things for fun. I do use some, but I find myself weekly buying more stuff...lol
Anyone else the same way? Its quite an addiction!

timaishu
02-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Are you referring to stuff in general or car car products?

Gungho_15
02-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Sorry, thats a great question. I should have clarified better. I meant car stuff. Like waxes, soaps, qd's, detailing stuff in general.

feslope
02-16-2012, 12:27 AM
I could just about open my own store.

glen e
02-16-2012, 12:32 AM
me too....i'm slowing though......

rakkvet
02-16-2012, 12:43 AM
I have quite a collection built up myself. I like trying new stuff.

tw33k2514
02-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Got over that a long time ago. I am very meticulous with my purchases.

NFA
02-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Detailing supplies/tools is cheap compared to other hobbies that I am into. Even with the super duper premium 1k+ dollar waxes out there is a drop in the bucket compared to gun or photography (my other 2 hobbies) related gear.

timaishu
02-16-2012, 01:21 AM
I dont make purchases like that anymore. I kind of did when I first started getting into detailing before I found this website. But now I only purchase when a product runs out. I hate having multiple products that do the same thing.

FUNX650
02-16-2012, 01:47 AM
OP's Question: Re: Anybody else buy products just because they can?

My Answer: No, I don't

Why not?...You may ask.

1.) Buy what thou hast no need of and ere long thou shalt sell thy necessities. ~ Benjamin Franklin

2.) Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities. ~ Mark Twain

3.) One of the greatest necessities is to discover creative solitude. ~ Carl Sandburg

There's plenty more like these...Too many to list...Too much broadband-width necessitated!

:)

Bob

Chris H
02-16-2012, 02:33 AM
I buy every other month and every new product I receive (usually many because ever order is >$100); I relieve my stress by making my car shine

Rix6
02-16-2012, 04:09 AM
OP's Question: Re: Anybody else buy products just because they can?

My Answer: No, I don't

Why not?...You may ask.

1.) Buy what thou hast no need of and ere long thou shalt sell thy necessities. ~ Benjamin Franklin

2.) Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities. ~ Mark Twain

3.) One of the greatest necessities is to discover creative solitude. ~ Carl Sandburg

There's plenty more like these...Too many to list...Too much broadband-width necessitated!

:)

Bob

Gotta love Sam Clemens!

tuscarora dave
02-16-2012, 04:52 AM
Got over that a long time ago. I am very meticulous with my purchases.
:iagree:I have narrowed down my product selection to a few great products that work well on almost all the jobs I do. I'm in this to make money and not just to spend it. I did however use to buy the flavor of the month getting sucked in by the great AG marketing machine but I got over it.

Vegas Transplant
02-16-2012, 10:22 AM
The short version: No. My market is primarily DD- mainly 1 & 2 step.

The long version: I have an affinity for Nicona, Dan Post, And Lucchess. Not to mention Resistol and Stetson. Every new detail purchase is well researched.

My decision to pull the trigger or not is decided not only by need, but by whether the product will induce potential new clients sales.

Solutions Finish fits into this category especially,as I believe the return (new client details and maintenence washes) will greatly surpass the initial $125 investment.

My $200 investment in loose and spiral sewn wheels, rake, and various greaseless compounds not only paid for itself on one 9 hour job, I have enough product to last me for the foreseeable future.

I am greatful to all the AGO-ers out there that post their dissatisfaction with products such as Fog Fight. Mainly, not the issue of wasting money,but that of losing valuable time( trying to correct the issues) and of customer complaints.

As I educate myself, I also educate my customers. I have those who use to insist on certain carnaubas lsp's, that now go with sealant/spray wax, along with scheduled maintenence package.

Hoytman
02-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Gotta love Sam Clemens!

I didn't no Rick Santorum was a member of this forum...hehehe. Check out the avatar...looks like Ricky to me.