PDA

View Full Version : Extractor: How important is heat?

ScubaCougr
02-15-2012, 09:41 PM
My spray, brush, extract with wet vac method has worked well, but lots of interiors this month has me thinking an extractor might save time and be easier on me. I'm part time and mobile, working 6-10 jobs a month, one per day.

Getting conflicting advice on how important heat is. Some say modern chemicals (including Folex) can break up almost anything making heat nonessential. I'm not sure and trying to decide between:

1. Mytee Tempo Spotter. Like the cost and size. More power lift and capacity than the Bissell LGM. Lack of heat is a question.

2. Mytee Lite II. Same power and lift, Heat option (how often will that be needed?), but twice the capacity I need and twice what I can afford right now.

Anyone used both heat & non-heat pro-style extractors? General thoughts?

proudpoppa
02-15-2012, 09:53 PM
What about the aztec hot rod? Seems like a nifty little machine, plus it has a heating element versus in-line heat which i prefer but that's just me. Also, i wouldnt have an extractor without heat.

toycar18
02-15-2012, 09:57 PM
My spray, brush, extract with wet vac method has worked well, but lots of interiors this month has me thinking an extractor might save time and be easier on me. I'm part time and mobile, working 6-10 jobs a month, one per day.

Getting conflicting advice on how important heat is. Some say modern chemicals (including Folex) can break up almost anything making heat nonessential. I'm not sure and trying to decide between:

1. Mytee Tempo Spotter. Like the cost and size. More power lift and capacity than the Bissell LGM. Lack of heat is a question.

2. Mytee Lite II. Same power and lift, Heat option (how often will that be needed?), but twice the capacity I need and twice what I can afford right now.

Anyone used both heat & non-heat pro-style extractors? General thoughts?

You can always fill with the customers hot water if the area being cleaned is very dirty. Heat makes cleaning agents more active and therefore more effective. It also will help you to clean a bit faster, rinse chems easier and dry faster.

I wouldn't even consider the Mytee Tempo because of its low psi. I am a professional carpet cleaner and when I clean a vehicle I set my truckmount psi to 250 to 500psi. This allows me to flush water faster through the carpet/upholstery. The more water you flush the easier it is to get it clean faster. Tempo has 55 psi and Lite has 120psi

The is a HUGE difference between the two. Save you money and do it right the FIRST time get the mytee lite. Also the Mytee lite is a much better machine than the aztec.

Kristopher1129
02-15-2012, 10:24 PM
What about the aztec hot rod? Seems like a nifty little machine, plus it has a heating element versus in-line heat which i prefer but that's just me. Also, i wouldnt have an extractor without heat.

The Mytee compared to the Hot Rod is a BIG difference. I own the Lite II, and the Hot Rod. I barely touch the Hot Rod...it just sits there.

The Hot Rod lacks in power. Sure, it has the heating element...but it doesn't make a difference except for you have to wait for it to heat up.

I'd go with the Mytee Lite II all day.

shoeless89
02-15-2012, 10:58 PM
The only other extractor I've used is the LGM but I got the Mytee Lite II and I LOVE it. I don't know how it could get much better.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Jomax
02-15-2012, 11:21 PM
I own a rug doctor, it works okay.. Doesn't make heat though

tcfatboys
02-15-2012, 11:32 PM
There are a ton of different brands out there. Mytee is good, but for sure you can get your hands on other brands as well.

if you want plenty of suction go with 2-3stage vacuums / a 2000 in line heater / for auto detail 200Psi is more than enough.

heat / is one of the most important factors in any cleaning / better drying times also.

if you don't want the use of two cords at the same time / then go for just one cord instead of the 2-3stage that has two separate cords.

I have a Sniper Sandia with 2-3stage vacuums with 200psi and 2000 in line heater. man it just works more than fine.

rakkvet
02-15-2012, 11:50 PM
I am also a certified carpet cleaning technician. We have an acronym we use that describes the 4 key elements in carpet cleaning.

C.H.A.T.:Chemicals, Heat, Agitation and Time.

Using Chemicals with a higher ph will lower the cleaning time. (But if the chemicals are not agitated soon enough and extracted damage could result)

Heat Increases the rate of reaction and also aids in the rinsing process. Thus, decreasing cleaning time.

Agitation:

Think of agitation like this: Imagine washing your hair by putting shampoo on and then rinsing it with hot water and then drying it off. Did your hair get clean? Did all the shampoo rinse off? If you have a lot of hair did any of the shampoo get to the lower layers of your hair or scalp? The answer at best is maybe; but, more likely, not much. That's why we scrub our hair and scalp with our fingers.
Thats why it is a great idea to spray the carpet cleaning chemicals and scrub them with a slightly stiff bristled brush and then extract your carpets.

Time: The longer you can let the chemical work on the carpet and still stay damp is best.

Of course there is more to it than this. But your original question asked if heat works best. I say that an in line heater or bucket heater that can heat the water up pretty high is where you will notice the most impact. You can also clean carpets and furniture with cold water. Just make sure you agitate it more and rinse more thoroughly.

It is worth mention that using some carpet specific cleaning chemicals with high ph's must be rinsed with a chemical that will neutralize the prespray chemical. If you just leave a chemical on the carpet and don't rinse it or neutralize it the chemical itself will still be active in the carpet and attract more to the carpet fibers.

There is a lot to learn about carpet cleaning. There is a lot to learn about cleaning vehicle carpets. There is a lot to learn about spot and stain removal. There is a lot to learn about odor elimination.

If you really want to take your detailing to the next level you should consider taking a carpet cleaning course.

There is no single magic solution that will remove all of the following: animal urine, coffee, bubble gum, ink, tar and God forbid, red drink stains. OxyCleaners and Resolvers and whatever else is out there over the counter may not be helping as much as you think.

Let me know if you have any spot specific questions and I would be more than happy to offer my $.02

art72
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Since I cannot afford the MyTee Lite yet either, it sounds like having hot water is the way to go for now. In the swimming pool industry we offered a cheap alternative heater for spa/hot tub owners. The 11kw 120v inline heaters were small an compact, and took a few hours to really cook the water.However, even at wholesale a decent 11kw heater runs around $350 - $400. (*Note most RayPak and T.L. units are retailing for $500+) -so it's probably not too economical for this application.

I've been looking into an 12v in-line heater on RV sites, and have to wonder if they are capable of putting out enough heat?

I'm finding these 12v units for under or around $200 on RV supply sites... but gotta wonder how well they perform?

I agree with saving the money for the right (best) tool for the job. Clearly the MyTee Lite II definitely seems like the thoroughbred of extractors, and is on my list.

I'm in the process of refitting a 250 gal water tank, and laying out the plumbing to include a 12v ShurFlo On-Demand pump w/ by-pass, an inline water filter, and possibly an affordable 12v inline heater (*used only when needed). *Will update if it works!

Edit: This is one I am considering:

Eccotemp L5 - 12volt Portable Tankless Unit Eccotemp L5 - 12volt Portable Tankless Unit [HCP/Eccotemp L5] - $125.99 : 12 Volt TV, 12 Volt Refrigerator, 12 Volt Cooler, GPS for Trucks, For The Road (http://fortheroad.hcpus.com/eccotemp-l5-12volt-portable-tankless-unit-p-819.html?zenid=cbfc23900ef160a4532bac26a7c6209c)

proudpoppa
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
The Mytee compared to the Hot Rod is a BIG difference. I own the Lite II, and the Hot Rod. I barely touch the Hot Rod...it just sits there.

The Hot Rod lacks in power. Sure, it has the heating element...but it doesn't make a difference except for you have to wait for it to heat up.

I'd go with the Mytee Lite II all day.

And if you don' put hot water into the mytee it will never reach full temp. In order for the in line heater to produce the advertised heat the water you put in has to be 140 degrees to start. The hot rod can heat any temp water to the advertised temp. I'm not knocking the mytee they are great machines. I've had three of them and also a thermax which is a big version of the aztec. I just like the heating element better than in-line. You have to let the product dwell anyway, so waiting for it to get hot really isnt a big deal. Plenty of things to do while it gets warm.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-23-2012, 09:31 PM
And if you don' put hot water into the mytee it will never reach full temp. In order for the in line heater to produce the advertised heat the water you put in has to be 140 degrees to start. The hot rod can heat any temp water to the advertised temp. I'm not knocking the mytee they are great machines. I just like the heating element better than in-line.
Very interesting.

Kristopher1129
02-23-2012, 10:52 PM
And if you don' put hot water into the mytee it will never reach full temp. In order for the in line heater to produce the advertised heat the water you put in has to be 140 degrees to start. The hot rod can heat any temp water to the advertised temp. I'm not knocking the mytee they are great machines. I've had three of them and also a thermax which is a big version of the aztec. I just like the heating element better than in-line. You have to let the product dwell anyway, so waiting for it to get hot really isnt a big deal. Plenty of things to do while it gets warm.

I agree with you. The Aztec does get hotter. But, the psi is a killer for me. I feel like it's a trickle compared to the Mytee. I'd rather have my machine be few degrees cooler than have less psi. I find it time consuming to use the Aztec.

Any thoughts on some bigger models? I'd really like to upgrade to a bigger machine this year for my shop, and put the Mytee Lite II in the van.