PDA

View Full Version : Leather cleaning

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jomax
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Just bought a 2012 ford focus with black leather interior. What's the best stuff to use in caring for it? I heard car leathers today do need conditioner because the leather is sealed and to just use a cleaner like simple green etc often. Thoughts?

RaskyR1
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Just bought a 2012 ford focus with black leather interior. What's the best stuff to use in caring for it? I heard car leathers today do need conditioner because the leather is sealed and to just use a cleaner like simple green etc often. Thoughts?

I would avoid using Simple Green.

I recommend Leather Masters Strong Cleaner and Protection Cream.

Leatherique is good stuff too.

Jomax
02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I meant to say car leather today DOESN'T need conditioner, is this true??

RaskyR1
02-15-2012, 12:57 PM
I meant to say car leather today DOESN'T need conditioner, is this true??

That seems to be the general consensus but there is still a lot of conflicting information out there, especially from the manufactures themselves.

The Protection Cream I listed above is not a conditioner, it's a sacrificial barrier that will help protect the top coating much like a wax on paint, or Scotch Guard on carpet/fabric.

Meticulous-Detail
02-15-2012, 01:05 PM

UIGP :xyxthumbs:

Jomax
02-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Don't know what that means :)

Jomax
02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
That seems to be the general consensus but there is still a lot of conflicting information out there, especially from the manufactures themselves.

The Protection Cream I listed above is not a conditioner, it's a sacrificial barrier that will help protect the top coating much like a wax on paint, or Scotch Guard on carpet/fabric.

I see, Makes sense, price isn't to bad either:)

I

tw33k2514
02-15-2012, 01:08 PM

Ultima interior guard plus

How strong is LM strong cleaner anyway? In comparison to an APC.

Meticulous-Detail
02-15-2012, 01:12 PM

^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry

On new leather I would just use a damp MF towel and UIGP for protection.

dsottum
02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
I remember reading an in-depth article about automotive leather conditioning and I believe it said to use a water-based conditioner over oil-based conditioner (I could be off on how they're labeled, but the article basically said there are only a couple "real" automotive leather conditioners). Basically, the way automotive leather is, oil-based conditioners won't do anything but sit on top as a dressing whereas water-based will penetrate the leather and condition it the way it is meant to. Someone here should be able to chime in, but I believe leatherique was listed as one of the only "true" automotive leather conditioners.

RaskyR1
02-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Ultima interior guard plus

How strong is LM strong cleaner anyway? In comparison to an APC.

Pretty mild IMO, but SAFE. For brand new leather there is no need for harsh cleaners. Regular cleaning with the water based cleaner and protection cream should keep them looking like new (no added gloss) for a long time.

Kristopher1129
02-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Someone probably already said it...but, I wouldn't use Simple Green on your leather seats.

Stick with products made strictly for leather. If you clean them often...you shouldn't need to do any extensive cleaning. Something to spray and wipe should do the trick, unless you let them go for a while.

I would recommend a product...but I don't use anything on leather than can be bought at AG. I'm sure others will point you in the right direction. I hear leatherique works really well. But, I can't speak from experience on that product. :dblthumb2:

mg6045
02-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Pretty mild IMO, but SAFE. For brand new leather there is no need for harsh cleaners. Regular cleaning with the water based cleaner and protection cream should keep them looking like new (no added gloss) for a long time.

agree 100%.

the LM protection cream is very good stuff that adds ZERO gloss. and repel dirt buildup and transfer.

I actually found that Pinnacle Leather conditioner adds to dirt buildup on the seat, forcing me to clean them more often as this product adds moisture.

Along with the LM products I spend a crapload on importing LTT leathercare products from that women judy who always spams the forums about leather care. turns out these products are amazing, and there leather protect is very similar to behavoir with water beading as the Ultima interior gaurd. BUT the LTT is water based and does not condition and darken the leather like the Ultima. not even slightly.

tw33k2514
02-15-2012, 08:48 PM

Good to know. Ive been using Mothers VLR on well kept leather with pretty good results. But I may give the LM stuff a try. I always hear such good things about it.

Jomax
02-15-2012, 09:10 PM
So. A 30:1 dilution of Simple green is still hard on it?