PDA

View Full Version : Optimum No Rinse as a detailer?

Pages : [1] 2

Beerwulf76
02-14-2012, 04:48 PM
My ONR arrive today,and I was super eagle to try it out.Initially I wanted to test it out as a detail spray. I mixed 2oz. with 32oz. of filtered water in a spray bottle.First tested it on panel that was washed yesterday with Meguires Gold Class,before application the panel was squeaky clean and bone dry,no slickness whatsoever. I proceeded with the ORN detailer solution application.Immediately I noticed that it didn't have the feel of a QD'er,no apparent lubricity,like if I just had sprayed the panel with plain water.Then I wiped the panel down with dry side of MF towel and tested for slickness,but it still felt bone dry and squeaky.
So I moved on to my other vehicle,which I had just Quick Deatiled with EO wipe n shine just yesterday that leaves the finish slick and shiny.I prayed the ONR detailer wiped in typical QD'er fashion and tested for slickness.To my surprised the ONR QD'er removed the slickness previously applied by the other QD'er.
I have gone from being excited to rather disappointed!
Anyone have similar experiences with ONR as a detailer?
What gives?
I believed I followed the directions correctly,and according to Optimum's marketing it should have left the finish slick and shiny,like it was just waxed!
Here's Optimum's description for ONR as a QD'er:

Add 8 ounces of No Rinse Wash & Shine to a gallon of water to make an excellent quick detailer. Fill up a spray bottle with this mixture and use it to clean and shine your vehicle, just as you would use a traditional detailer. The proprietary polymers bond to the paint surface to protect it from abrasion and micro-marring as you clean. The incredible formula leaves your vehicle extremely slick and glossy, like you just applied wax!

Feed back please

Dr Oldz
02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
I never tried it as a QD. I am intereted to see others answers here.

Ted S.
02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm not a big fan of ONR for a QD. Love it as a claybar-lube, and for the few no rinse washes I do.

As a QD it does clean well, but I feel no slickness from it.

Maybe we are both using it wrong?
Im the MAN

embolism
02-14-2012, 04:53 PM
If you want slickness then I'd suggest you use a waterless wash concentrate to mix up your QD instead of a rinseless.

I've only used ONR as a water softener, clay lube and for rinseless washing (happy with all uses) so can't say what it does at QD dilution.

Perhaps you should try mixing it again using distilled water. If there were any minerals in your filtered water, then some of the polymers would bind to them leaving less available for your paint?

If it doesn't work then you've got some good clay lube for future use.

tw33k2514
02-14-2012, 04:54 PM
ONRs weakest point is as a QD. I despise it for that purpose. Works awesome as clay lube and rinseless wash though.

Try UWW+ for a cheap QD.

rider9195
02-14-2012, 04:55 PM
The only time I use ONR at QD dilution is when I use it to pre soak my car before rinseless washing.

SRTSean
02-14-2012, 04:57 PM
I have mix of ONR I mixed up as a QD a month ago and I had the same impression that others have. Not slick feeling at all which made me worry about it's ability to clean a dusty car without marring. I'll probably just add more ONR to it and turn it in to a clay lube after I run out of the other clay lube I have.

Beerwulf76
02-14-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm not a big fan of ONR for a QD. Love it as a claybar-lube, and for the few no rinse washes I do.

As a QD it does clean well, but I feel no slickness from it.

Maybe we are both using it wrong?
Im the MAN

How can it be a good clay lube without the slickness?Seem kind of contradictory.

rider9195
02-14-2012, 05:06 PM
How can it be a good clay lube without the slickness?Seem kind of contradictory.

I think he means that it gives good lubrication(in my experience it does) and when he uses it as a quick detailer, it doesn't leave a slick feel behind on the paint. :xyxthumbs:

embolism
02-14-2012, 05:07 PM
you don't want your clay lube to be super slippery otherwise the clay will tend to hydroplane over the paint. Some people even use plain water or window cleaner as clay lube...

hmmm maybe that is why the Dodo juice Born Slippery clay lube contains cleaners to help loosen up the dirt so the hydroplaning effect isn't as detrimental to the claying process...

flyinion
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
I have mix of ONR I mixed up as a QD a month ago and I had the same impression that others have. Not slick feeling at all which made me worry about it's ability to clean a dusty car without marring. I'll probably just add more ONR to it and turn it in to a clay lube after I run out of the other clay lube I have.

Actually you'd need to dilute it to get the clay ratio. QD ratio is 1:16, the clay ratio is 1:64. I think the QD dilution has the ONR lubricity for cleaning, but because it's designed primarily as a rinseless it doesn't have the nice slick finish additives of a pure QD.

Don't forget when you're using it as an actual rinseless the ratio is 1:256 so the QD is quite a bit more lubricated than what you're doing a rinseless with. I'd say if you're that worried, spray a bit more than a light spray, but that's my amateur opinion :D

Beerwulf76
02-14-2012, 05:14 PM
ONRs weakest point is as a QD. I despise it for that purpose. Works awesome as clay lube and rinseless wash though.

Try UWW+ for a cheap QD.

The Ultima stuff was what I really wanted,but due to budget I settled on the ONR.I will purchase the UWW+ in the future and use it as QD'er concentrate and the ONR as rinseless wash.My concern though is that if ONR offers no slickness or shine as a QD'er how can it as rinseless wash with the dilution ration being 1/16 of that as QD'er!?

SRTSean
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Actually you'd need to dilute it to get the clay ratio. QD ratio is 1:16, the clay ratio is 1:64. I think the QD dilution has the ONR lubricity for cleaning, but because it's designed primarily as a rinseless it doesn't have the nice slick finish additives of a pure QD.

Don't forget when you're using it as an actual rinseless the ratio is 1:256 so the QD is quite a bit more lubricated than what you're doing a rinseless with. I'd say if you're that worried, spray a bit more than a light spray, but that's my amateur opinion :D

Ahh, good call. I think the soaking MF towel part is what I'm okay with when doing a rinseless wash.

flyinion
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Ahh, good call. I think the soaking MF towel part is what I'm okay with when doing a rinseless wash.

Eh, probably not the best route, but I just use the same mf chenille wash mitt as when I do a normal wash. I've been debating picking up the blue grout sponge with the cut square pattern though for rinseless.

Shawn T.
02-14-2012, 05:57 PM
I actually really like it as a quick detailer. Works nicely in the sun and leaves the finish streak free unlike many other products. It's also dirt cheap as a QD compared to a dedicated QD.