PDA

View Full Version : Takes forever to tape.

Pages : [1] 2

pcw25
02-13-2012, 10:36 PM
It takes me forever to tape a car down, doing it right and not having it touch the paint. What tape do you use and what are your methods?

Bates Detailing
02-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Blue painters tape - and instead of taping on DD's I usually just thoroughly clean up my "signature" afterwards - unless I am compounding. When compounding I will happily take the time to tape.

Lasthope05
02-13-2012, 11:02 PM
What are you taping down thats taking such a long time? The only real important thing you tape down is window trims and unpainted molding. 5 minutes tops.

ShinyRex
02-13-2012, 11:39 PM
out of curiosity is there really any difference between painters tape and the 3m automotive ones at pepboys etc?

ryanmcg1
02-13-2012, 11:47 PM
out of curiosity is there really any difference between painters tape and the 3m automotive ones at pepboys etc?
I don't find anything different between the two. Also takes me forever to tape up a vehicle it's not just plastics and window moldings but headlight molding, chrome emblems, door, hood & trunk edges.

ShinyRex
02-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I don't find anything different between the two. Also takes me forever to tape up a vehicle it's not just plastics and window moldings but headlight molding, chrome emblems, door, hood & trunk edges.

Thanks, I didn't think there would be a difference but I had to ask anyway.

On a side note I always get a kick out of using tape to make a 50/50 line for test spots.

Lasthope05
02-14-2012, 12:07 AM

There's a pretty big difference in adhesiveness. The green 3m is stickier and imho leaves less residue on the paint.

I personally feel all of that is excessive and unnecessary when working with a DA polisher but if you feel more comfortable doing that way its perfectly fine as you can never be too safe.

TRILLIS
02-14-2012, 12:08 AM
If your working with a team mate as I do. I sometimes get them to do the fiddly bits by hand while I do the roof then I don't have to be as cautious when I get to that area with the machine.Under and around door handles,badges under and on side mirrors and around headlights then tape up long areas only, like windshield and doortrims. All seems to blend ok. Otherwise as stated I find it time consuming as well.Is it just me or are car manufacturers putting ridiculous amounts of pourous black plastics on new cars just to annoy us.

tw33k2514
02-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Just be careful and then you don't have to tape.

Of course there will be times you need to. But the more you do it, the faster you get.

habeba86
02-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Is it just me or are car manufacturers putting ridiculous amounts of pourous black plastics on new cars just to annoy us.

Nope, they do infact do it to be annoyong!

On topic.....I use blue painters tape, never used anything else. After a while u get very good at taping...you get a feel for the tape and start being able to make very straight lines rite against where the trim meets the paint and curves become easier. I lay a few inches of tape down, then with one hand hold the tape on the trim then pull alot of tape out and while keeping it taut pretty much lay my head where the line i want taped and then with my other hand lay the tape line. That probably sounds confusing, but youll get the hang of it.

Monster Shine
02-14-2012, 01:49 AM
There's a pretty big difference in adhesiveness. The green 3m is stickier and imho leaves less residue on the paint.

I agree very much with the above, when it is in the cards I use green 3M tape. Otherwise I do go with 3M blue painter's tape

oldmodman
02-14-2012, 03:22 AM
I have both 3M Green and Blue tape, in several different widths.

And yes, taping is my least favorite part of the job. I can spend as long as two hours taping.

But if you think taping a car is a pain. Try taping a part for powder coating. You have to use this really thin hi temp plastic tape. The damn stuff has a mind of it's own. And you can't remove it until after the part has been baked at 400 degrees to set the powder coat.

Monster Shine
02-14-2012, 03:33 AM
I have both 3M Green and Blue tape, in several different widths.

And yes, taping is my least favorite part of the job. I can spend as long as two hours taping.

But if you think taping a car is a pain. Try taping a part for powder coating. You have to use this really thin hi temp plastic tape. The damn stuff has a mind of it's own. And you can't remove it until after the part has been baked at 400 degrees to set the powder coat.

Take it from a guy who owns a powder coating business. He is not joking, the cost of those tapes is no picnic either. Glass cloth tape can routinely hit $25-$35 a roll.

jpegs13
02-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Taping is a lot less of a pain than cleaning polish off of plastic parts... just sayin'

ryanmcg1
02-14-2012, 08:06 AM
I personally feel all of that is excessive and unnecessary when working with a DA polisher but if you feel more comfortable doing that way its perfectly fine as you can never be too safe. I'm glad to hear you been successful in not burning any door or hood edges but don't be misinformed about a DA they will burn edges and sharp body lines if not careful.