PDA

View Full Version : How do I use an AIO?

davidc11291
02-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Being a newbie, I've gotten half way competent with the multi step 105/205 combo. I've been playing around with some D151 (Meg's AIO). Here's my questions-

1) Do I prime the pad just like I prime the 105 and the 205?

2) How do I tell when I've reached the end of the product's working cycle? With 105, it's easy to tell when it starts getting dry and there's no slightly wet trail left, but with D151 having a sealant in it, how do I tell when it's done? How do I know when to stop and avoid dry buffing?

3) Any other general advice about how to use an AIO?

tw33k2514
02-13-2012, 04:25 AM
1) yes

2) the great thing about D151 is how versatile it is. It can be used with virtually any pad/pressure/pass combo to achieve what you are after. Now obviously if you are going the more aggressive route the protection left by D151 will be reduced. That said, D151 can be worked pretty much as long as you need it to be. It isn't going to dry out like a stand alone polish.

I suggest you try 6 passes with medium pressure on an LC orange pad and inspect. Then you can dial it in as you please.

Mike Phillips
02-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Ben's answers pretty much answered your questions but I'll add something to your last question...

3) Any other general advice about how to use an AIO?a

AIO or cleaner/waxes can be used as a maintenance product, that is they can be used to maintain a finish already in excellent condition to keep it in excellent condition and when used for this purpose you don't need to use the product heavy or wet, do use the "ample" amount, that don't under use the product to point of not having an ample amount on the surface as you buff.

If you're working on a severely neglected surface using a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO then you want to use the product heavy or wet and this means use plenty of product, you want lots of lubrication but more important you want plenty of cleaning agents on the surface working for you.

Cleaning agents can be chemical cleaners or abrasives, depends on what's in the product some cleaner/waxes rely solely on chemical cleaners while other cleaner/waxes use both chemical cleaners and some type of abrasive technology.

Then like Ben stated, vary your pad choice to match the condition of the paint you're working on.

See these two articles,

Lots of information about cleaner/waxes in general in this first article,

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html)
Subtitle: How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

This is a good one too...

The Graphic Equalizer Analogy to Polishing Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/29315-graphic-equalizer-analogy-polishing-paint.html)

Graphic Equalizers
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/GraphicEqualizer01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/GraphicEqualizer02.jpg

:)

Mike Phillips
02-13-2012, 08:55 AM
One more thing... be sure to read the instructions for any specific cleaner/wax you're using and follow them for the drying and wipe-off recommendations.

Most cleaner/waxes will state to all the product to dry before wiping off, when this is the case it has to do with the protection ingredients in the product bonding to the paint, if you wipe-off too soon you wipe-off the protection ingredients.

Most quality cleaner/waxes will tend to wipe-off pretty easy.

Also, the worse the condition of the paint, the smaller the section you want to work at one time and the more often you want to clean your pad.

Why it's important to clean your pads often... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/28755-why-s-important-clean-your-pads-often.html)

How to clean your foam pad on the fly (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly.html)

Rix6
02-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Great information Mike. :xyxthumbs: I noticed a difference of opinion between your older article you linked to and what you just posted. I'm a little too sleepy to read between the lines. Maybe you can shed some light. Are you now referring to the fancy-pants, latest and greatest AIO's recently available on the market and in the older article are you're referring to inexpensive old-school cleaner waxes? Hehe, I hope I'm not catching you before you've had your coffee. Me, I need to grab a couple hours ZZZZZ's before I have mine. :bolt:

AIO or cleaner/waxes can be used as a maintenance product, that is they can be used to maintain a finish already in excellent condition to keep it in excellent condition and when used for this purpose you don't need to use the product heavy or wet, do use the "ample" amount, that don't under use the product to point of not having an ample amount on the surface as you buff...

...Lots of information about cleaner/waxes in general in this first article,

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html)
Subtitle: How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

From linked article:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html#post289207
A cleaner/wax doesn't need to be used, and in most cases shouldn't be used, on a car in which the paint is in excellent condition, for example a brand new car or an older car in which the paint has been properly cleaned and polished. For finishes on both of these types of cars the paint would be better served using a finishing wax or finishing sealant.

Mike Phillips
02-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Maybe you can shed some light. Are you now referring to the fancy-pants, latest and greatest AIO's recently available on the market and in the older article are you're referring to inexpensive old-school cleaner waxes? Hehe

Good eye and let me clarify,

Daily Drivers - Can be maintained with a light cleaner/wax
In the context of using a cleaner/wax or AIO to maintain a finish in excellent condition this would be for daily drivers exposed to the elements and the kind of wear-n-tear associated with driving a car every day.

Special Interest Vehicles - Toys - Garage Queens
In the context of NOT using a cleaner/wax to maintain a finish in excellent condition this would be for "Special Interest Vehicles", like a person's "toy" or "Garage Queen" where it's NOT seeing wear-n-tear from daily driving.

Great question!
Good eye and I'm flattered anytime someone reads any of my articles so closely as to find small differences like these. It could be that I need to clarify more in the reference article I'll try to re-read it and see where I could be more specific.

:dblthumb2:

Stang Man
02-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Good eye and let me clarify,

Daily Drivers - Can be maintained with a light cleaner/wax
In the context of using a cleaner/wax or AIO to maintain a finish in excellent condition this would be for daily drivers exposed to the elements and the kind of wear-n-tear associated with driving a car every day.

Special Interest Vehicles - Toys - Garage Queens
In the context of NOT using a cleaner/wax to maintain a finish in excellent condition this would be for "Special Interest Vehicles", like a person's "toy" or "Garage Queen" where it's NOT seeing wear-n-tear from daily driving.

Great question!
Good eye and I'm flattered anytime someone reads any of my articles so closely as to find small differences like these. It could be that I need to clarify more in the reference article I'll try to re-read it and see where I could be more specific.

:dblthumb2:

To take it one step further, I would think you could use a pad with more "cut" on a client's car for their first visit with you, and suvbsequent visits you could use less/no cut pads, since [hopefully] there will be less correction necessary.

Mike Phillips
02-13-2012, 12:11 PM
To take it one step further, I would think you could use a pad with more "cut" on a client's car for their first visit with you, and suvbsequent visits you could use less/no cut pads, since [hopefully] there will be less correction necessary.

Good point...

Stang Man
02-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Good point...

I was hoping I was right....it makes sense in my head, which doesn't say much :buffing:

davidc11291
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks so much for the great info. Now let me ask this- I've got some regular foam pads and I just bought some hydrotechs to try out. The hydrotechs are designed for use with water based products. Can I use them with the AIO or would that combo of product and pad type not play well together?

tw33k2514
02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Hydrotech pads can be used with any product you like. Just make sure you keep the pad clean and don't use to much pressure. They like to sink in the middle.

davidc11291
02-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Also, in his articles and posts about AIO's, Mike always mentions that some AIO's use chemical cleaners without abrasives, and others use abrasives. From what I've read about D151, it has some really amazing swirl removal ability. Am I correct to assume that therefore it uses abrasive particles?

tw33k2514
02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Also, in his articles and posts about AIO's, Mike always mentions that some AIO's use chemical cleaners without abrasives, and others use abrasives. From what I've read about D151, it has some really amazing swirl removal ability. Am I correct to assume that therefore it uses abrasive particles?
You are indeed correct.

Kaban
02-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Bear with me for a moment because I've never used an AIO product yet... (I just stick with glazes for now).

But if an AIO product is supposed to clean and protect, wouldn't the pad get dirty and contaminated fairly quick? Especially if the car hadn't been clayed or deironized in a prior step? Do you guys just use multiple pads per as a way to minimize spreading dirt around?

Rix6
02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Bear with me for a moment because I've never used an AIO product yet... (I just stick with glazes for now).

But if an AIO product is supposed to clean and protect, wouldn't the pad get dirty and contaminated fairly quick? Especially if the car hadn't been clayed or deironized in a prior step? Do you guys just use multiple pads per as a way to minimize spreading dirt around?I think the polishing oils and/or other lubricants basicallly float the dirt, which gets pushed up into the pad. Never had a problem pushing dirt around with cleaner wax back in my younger years. The pads do get dirt though, that's for sure. And if you use lots of product on a dirty finish, like Mike suggests, you get that mud-mask effect, another place for the dirt to go.

One thing I remember is waxing with megs cleaner wax by hand was actually a lot of fun!