PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice from the pros

AntC
02-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Hello
I'm new to the machine polishing world and I really need some advice, I have a 2000 Tahoe that's my daily driver with what I would call moderate to severe swirls. I'm looking to do my first correction this spring. I've been on the site for a couple months and trying to soak up as much info as I can, but I'm just not sure about what I should purchase ,so here are my questions.

1. Which DA polisher for a first timer to use ( I know I'm not ready for a rotary) so PC , GG or Flex. I've read that the PC is a good starter but it may not be able to remove severe swirls, I know the flex will do it but is it too much to handle for a novice so maybe down the middle with the GG

2. which compound to use ,as I said I believe my finish would fit into moderate to severe
(I've attached a photo of a paint job very close to how mines looks, not my actual truck, I borrowed it from another post on the forum but he was using a rotary) I'm leaning toward the XMT line.

3. Finally which wax or sealer for the finish like the results I've seen from the pinnacle wax line, but I want whats best for the finish.

I would like to start buying now so I will be ready to go when warm weather hits but before I do I want to make sure I have the stuff to do the job right.

Any and all advice would be appreciated

Monster Shine
02-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Well I assume that isn't a picture of your Tahoe but one meant to show about your Tahoe's condition?

AntC
02-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes it's from Flannigan (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/flannigan.html)'s " full correction" but it's nearly identical to my finish ( it's winter here in Michigan so I don't have any current pics

tw33k2514
02-12-2012, 11:52 PM
I would highly recommend the Griots polisher. Great power, good price, and a lifetime warranty.

As for helping you choose a product for correction... That is harder. For someone who is new I'd suggest getting a range of products to experiment with.

105/205, Wolfgang twins, UC, D300 would be a good selection to start with.

bimmer325!
02-12-2012, 11:59 PM
I am not an expert as some of the senior members here are..but here is my 2 cents...I had the PC, both the 6" and 3" Griots, and recently bought the Flex. They are all good machines and will get the job done...but you can't go wrong with the Flex. Reason being while it is probably too much machine for most jobs..it is great to have the correction power when/as you need it on tap ALL the time. A little more money but it is well built and "buy once-cry once". Regardless of which model...the learning cure on a DA is about the same. Just have to get down "your" technique.
As per Compounds..I like the Megs microfiber DA System or Optimum products as they are constantly being "developed and updated. But that is for the more senior members to chime in on.
As for sealer/wax...I have consistent good long lasting results with "Klasse High Gloss Sealant" and then wax is a preference thing depending on "looks" or "longevity". I personally like Blackfire products or "Fusion"...No wax last forever...but with the sealer applied first...and then the wax..it extends your protection time by months. Sounds like you have done you homework..and good luck with your future purchase. I will say this...all the forum guys/gals (especially the senior one's) are great and will help you a alot.

CAMAROZL1
02-13-2012, 12:38 AM
I would highly recommend the Griots polisher. Great power, good price, and a lifetime warranty.

As for helping you choose a product for correction... That is harder. For someone who is new I'd suggest getting a range of products to experiment with.

:iagree:
I have a GG and love it. Also WG is what I used for first time and no problems what so ever

Alex Boyce
02-13-2012, 12:58 AM

Agreed, Griots would be nice or a PC 7424xp. I think the 105/205 combo is very easy to use, that is, once you play a bit. 105 can be a pain at times but there tons of videos of it being used and tips for it. 205 is very easy to use so you should not have much problem with it.

Where at in Michigan are you? I bet your ride is nice a salty :) I know mine is.

glen e
02-13-2012, 01:14 AM
I would also recommend the griots and call them and get a 5" plate.

Then go with the meiguars MF system because it is step by step and eliminates having to think about how to mix and match things - and from reading here, it flat works well.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-5in.html)

AntC
02-13-2012, 08:40 AM
@ Alex ,I'm in Detroit, and yes, Big Blue is looking Grey right now that's why I didn't take any pics to show how bad

FourEyes45
02-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Get the Flex3401 ----105/205 combo and BF sealant and BFMS.

van185
02-13-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm not a pro either but here is my opinion. I have a PC and have had no problems with it at all. I have detailed several vehicles in about the same condition. I first bought Wolfgang Swirl Remover, WG Paintworks Polish, and WG Sealant and have seen amazing results. I usually start with an orange pad with the swirl remover, followed by a white pad with the Paintworks Polish, and then a blue pad with the Sealant. I have found that after you let the sealant dry and then take it off the results are amazing. I have just started using Chemical Guys products and have saw some great results with their products too. I think I would try the WG and the PC.

Flannigan
02-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Hey man, glad to see you want to tackle this job yourself! I would say your best bet would be a PCXP with the Meguiars MF cutting pads and D301 compound. That combo will tackle almost anything you can throw at it. In the following picture I used that same combo to pull out 2000 grit sanding marks out of the same paint you are talking about. There was still micromarring, but that was cleaned up with Menzerna SIP and Menzerna 106fa.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/twistedframe/Chevy%20Tahoe/wetsand001.jpg

I would say try out the megs cutting, but stay away from the finishing pads for this paint. I found that even with the finishing wax on low speeds it wouldn't finish down great. In fact nothing with SMAT abrasives in it would finish down perfectly on this paint, including the beloved M205 so skip that. I ended up finishing with Menz 106fa which is a very versatile product. It has decent cut like M205 but finishes next to flawless on most paint jobs. For that I used a black lc pad as well. I tried a crimson HT pad, but again it left a little marring behind.

Good luck!!