PDA

View Full Version : Non-abrassive Polishes and"cutting'?

Beerwulf76
02-12-2012, 11:31 PM
I know of a couple of polishes to claim they remove swirls yet say they are non-abrassive, namely Klasse AIO and Duragloss 101.I have used both before and with each have been unsuccessful at removing swirls.Does the "cutting" come from the pad used?

What am I missing here? Feed back please

Dugdug
02-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Does the "cutting" come from the pad used?

Both pad & polish. I believe you were using a LC white pad which has very little cut. It's for fine polishes and waxes. The polish you are using doesn't have a lot of cut either.

tw33k2514
02-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Non abrasive AIOs are extremely pad driven. You can try a more aggressive pad, but I don't think you will see what you are looking for. Those types of products remove the lightest of swirls.

Beerwulf76
02-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Non abrasive AIOs are extremely pad driven. You can try a more aggressive pad, but I don't think you will see what you are looking for. Those types of products remove the lightest of swirls.

Good to know,I've purchased some Optimum Poli-Seal and will test it out with white LC pads to see how it compares the others.I will switch to a more aggressive pad if that "doesn't cut it" pun intended.

Any advantages of using a flat pad versus a CCS pad for removing swirls?

tw33k2514
02-13-2012, 12:43 AM
The main advantage of the flat pad is more surface area. This in turn equals more correction potential.

I also find the flat pads easier to work with because they don't have the annoying dimples to collect product in.

embolism
02-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Good to know,I've purchased some Optimum Poli-Seal and will test it out with white LC pads to see how it compares the others.I will switch to a more aggressive pad if that "doesn't cut it" pun intended.

Any advantages of using a flat pad versus a CCS pad for removing swirls?

The description for KAIO says it takes out minor swirls but I tried this for my winter prep (white flat pad) and it didn't do anything on some light marring I had (on softer clear too).

Poliseal on the other hand did a great job on a recent panel I did with hard Audi clear. I used an orange pad though.

Kaban
02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
From personal experience, a white LC pad offers VERY little cut even if used with a compound like M105 on a generally soft clearcoat. Anything harder than average, forget about it.

Bates Detailing
02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Mix and match my friend! Take a few panels and check it out. Panel 1) AIO and finishing pad , 2) AIO plus mid grade pad , 3) AIO plus aggressive pad (rarely worth it though, unless on fiberglass IMO - and even somewhat rare there). EVERY single surface, be it auto, bus, rv, or aircraft - I do a small area with the technique that will work best - the AIO that I use for a one step removes roughly 40 to 50 % of swirls with a white finishing pad on the cyclo - it may remove even 70 % with the makita and a black waffle pad - but holograms are more than likely to appear even with great technique. Id say, take an AIO, play with the combos, and market to what best fits your market.

shoeless89
02-14-2012, 11:01 AM

:iagree:

Beerwulf76
02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I've been doing a lot reading and research on here ,and I've realized the mistakes I made.I was using LC's 6.5' white CCS pads on the #4 PC setting,next time I would used a smaller orange pad on setting#5 or so.I've also purchased some Optimum Poli-Seal,with has micro abrasives.I will also be prepared to switch to a polish or compound with more "cut"
That you all for the responses and the insight.
What an incredible resource the AG community is!:xyxthumbs:

embolism
02-14-2012, 05:04 PM
also try putting a mark on your backing plate so you can tell when it stops spinning.

ideally, you'd also move to 5.5 inch flat pads and a 5 inch backing plate

Beerwulf76
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
also try putting a mark on your backing plate so you can tell when it stops spinning.

ideally, you'd also move to 5.5 inch flat pads and a 5 inch backing plate

Yes 5.5" flat pads is what I decided to go with!Good call on the backing plate I had not considered that!
:xyxthumbs: