PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use HVLP to apply Dressing?

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
02-12-2012, 08:43 PM
I recently bought a can of Meguiars Plastic and Vinyl Coating in the Aerosol can: Meguiars Plastic & Vinyl Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-plastic-vinyl-coating.html)

After buying it, and using it...i really like it. Its so perfect for things like AC vents, plastic grilles, plastic door handles, gas chambers, windshield wiper area etc. Any tight place that was previously IMPOSSIBLE or insanely time consuming to dress is now done with the quickness of a quick spray.

Now here's the problem. these little suckers are pretty expensive and at only 10 oz a can can get used up pretty fast.

So between using this, and seeing the Tornador, it got me to wondering if anyone just used a small HVLP gun to apply dressing. I mean really i think its a great idea if you can get the right set up. I would think you would use LESS product, would be able to apply it quicker and easier and if you have a few containers you can just swap them out to whatever you need. Have one for tire dressing, one for vinyl dressing, one for leather dressing etc. Just spray a nice light coating on, maybe wipe with a MF to even out and bam, done. As opposed to now where you have to spray a pad, wipe, spray again, wipe, wipe some more to make sure its even blah blah blah.

Anyone ever try this? If so, what kinda HVLP did you go with? An air brush might even be sweet for very small areas. Harbor freight sells some pretty cheap HVLP guns and air brushes that dont require a ton of CFM...just thinkin out loud here people...give me some feedback!

oldmodman
02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
I have used my airbrush for doing small areas before. It works quite nicely for very small areas and it really save on product. But it only cover a very small area. I haven't used an actual paint spray gun, even that really small "touch up" gun that is always on sale at Harbor Tool (even though I did buy one last time I went to that store). Just haven't used it yet.

Ron Atchison
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Sounds like a good idea and will save on product from being left over in the pad. Look for a HVLP detail gun.

davidc
02-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah I have a post lingering around here somewhere about it. Go to Harbor Freight they have a 4oz gun for 13.00. I did 4 tires and wheel wells with less than 3 or 4oz on my 3/4 ton truck. Also just did my Linex bed Liner with about 7oz. I think once you use it you will keep the bottles on the shelf

Dave

davidc
02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/44692-best-idea-applying-exterior-dressings.html

Perfections
02-13-2012, 08:07 PM
I used to only apply dressing with a hvlp gun, but being mobile it became a pain to drag out my compressor for every wash and vac, with a longer hose I could've just kept it in the van. Overall if your able to do it, it applies evenly and uses less product :)

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Good replies guys. I ilke that the little 4 oz one uses very low CFM. Now if i could just get several cups and caps for the cups for when im not using them so that way the product i have in them wont spill out and i wont have to empty them everytime...

davidc
02-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I always empty mine and spray water thru it before putting it away.

Dave

rsav
02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
spend a little money and buy a nice airbrush. I have a badger that came with 3 size needles and tips, (around $70.00 online) very easy to change. the fine tip is used for tight lines, the large tip is used for tire dressing and other large areas. you want a dual action brush. that means you can control the amount of air and the amount of paint coming out of the tip. you can get spare bottles and tops at most hobby shops.been using mine for at least 5 years with no problems. don't buy a cheap compresser from harbor fright, get a 2 gallon dewalt (about $150.00 ) from home depot, or online. just my 2 cents...Ro