PDA

View Full Version : Evolving the Vision...

art72
02-12-2012, 03:55 PM
About three months ago I was working full-time (and on emergency call) as a maintenance man for a 110 room hotel and had gotten my son his first full time job there as my helper. Being my background was always sub-contracting & construction... I love working with tools, heavy equipment, and most importantly doing a variety of trades/jobs to feed my ADHD and never get burned out or bored.

Long story short, this was the first "real job" I have had in 20+ years. By "real" I mean, filled out an actual application, got paid a 'fixed' salary every 2 weeks (as did my son), and that of earning the same amount of money no matter how productive or unproductive the day was. Over the better part of the last 2+ years neither my son, nor myself received a raise, benefits, holidays, or a vacation. Largely due to changes in ownership and bureaucratic bs from the management in place. While the job wasn't anything to brag about, I stuck it out & fought to remain passionate about the work, and getting the place 'right' for the paying guests.

One day, after having some deep cutting words (*not suitable for AG) with my "Boss" - I made a statement to my son; "You know, I bet we could make more money in a decent week washing cars, then this lame @ss job pays us both all month!"

He quickly agreed. Plus, it's difficult to work for those 'types' who have no appreciation (or knowledge) of the value and savings my 20+ years experience, trade skills, knowledge & services were truly worth in providing quality results for the company/owner. *I saved them 10's of thousands, and was happy to do so...for awhile.

Anyway, that statement about washing cars began to resonate and took me back where at age 16, I worked a Car Wash for an entire summer. It was a job at the time, not a career move... I was only a kid wth did I know?

One thing that I remember was how nobody ever wanted to step up and do the Simonize Wax jobs that came in, because it required harder work and the pay stayed the same...much like my last job.

However, I pushed every customer I could on 'upgrading' to the Simonize Wax for $39.95 and did on average 2-3 per day. The best part certainly wasn't the min wage salary, it was the 'expression' of appreciation the customers showed once I finished the 45 min wax job. *Mind you it wasn't exactly a science back then either...lol

To this day, I never really gave much thought to it, but I actually enjoyed what most the other employees ran away from... hard work. However, I averaged an extra $20 -$50 in tips almost everyday, plus got my cut on the tips from the car wash :dblthumb2:

Bringing me to the current vision & mindset...

Now that I purchased my van, have roughly 2/3 of the basic necessities in hand to go mobile next month, it's kinda funny how things develop...

In just a week of 'trolling' these threads, soaking up Mike's videos, tips n' tricks, and really just reading everything I can, my initial vision of doing $15 - $20 car washes and maybe a few $49.95 wax jobs has rapidly vanished!

Truth be told, I was a vehicles worst enemy, as I scrubbed dirt, used 1 bucket w/ Dawn dish liquid or whatever was readily available, and honestly, I was a complete ignorant A-hole to using the proper procedures to care for my own vehicles, let alone another persons.

I guess this was my way of saying "Thank-God for AG" and to those here who maintain the same pride and integrity in detailing vehicles that I shared in every project I built, repaired or remodeled in my 20+ years of sub-contracting.

The vision has truly gone from wanting to just wash 10 cars per day at $20- $25 to reaching a higher level of professional detailing, and pricing. Including, but not limited to: paint restoration, small dent removal, color matching and touch-ups, upholstery, windshield repair, tinting, engine degreasing, and learning everything I can.

While it's going to take some time, money, patience, and practice, I am amazed that what started off as a joke 3-4 months ago with my son; Austin has now developing into a huge opportunity to provide a lot more than just a half-@ss car wash. *Naturally, we are starting off with a small list of services, but seeing some of the sites displayed in members signatures, and the average pricing scale for said 'artwork".

There is something to be respected seeing portfolio's with high end Ferrari's, Bentley's, and my favorite; Classic Chevy Muscle Cars... that has taken me back to feeling like a 17 kid again myself.

So as I am enjoying a day of relaxation preparing for journey to come, I just wanted to say - AG, Mike, the Staff, and all the "committed members" of this Forum... Thanks for the Eye-Opener...WOW! ...To think I didn't even know how to wash a car @ 40 yrs old [hangs head in shame...]

Boozman
02-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Congratulations and good luck in your new company

shoeless89
02-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Great story! Stick with it and always have passion in what you do no matter what it is. Which seems like you've got that covered!

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

art72
02-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks!

I am trying to teach my kids that by pursuing something they are passionate about, it is a key ingredient in reaching any true form of success. With any luck, after we get some 'hands on' experience of doing paint restoration and work our way up to the finer detailing jobs, I am pretty confident we will both be hooked and this will be a fun journey.

Seeing the success of others here is a huge help, as is all the priceless info shared here.

All the Best,

Art