PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Use Toothbrush to clean your DA Foam pads?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Geeked-out
02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Curious to know if anyone uses soft toothbrush to clean Foam Pads (Country Lake, etc..) Is it safe, etc..?

Spent a bunch on product, New Griots, etc.. So trying to cut corners where I can without jeopardizing outcome.

oldmodman
02-12-2012, 04:00 PM
I have used a toothbrush to clean foam pads before I got my pad cleaner.

It worked OK but later on my teeth always had a waxy buildup.

Geeked-out
02-12-2012, 04:03 PM
lol..

asd60303
02-12-2012, 04:26 PM
I can't see why it wouldn't be safe. Fyi, don't use those foam cleaning brushes..I destroyed a foam pad within seconds. Promptly threw that brush in my toolbox and will never use it again. I now soak the pads in APC and ONR in my wash bucket then I will wash them with my microfiber towels.

Danube
02-12-2012, 05:22 PM
I can't see why it wouldn't be safe. Fyi, don't use those foam cleaning brushes..I destroyed a foam pad within seconds. Promptly threw that brush in my toolbox and will never use it again. I now soak the pads in APC and ONR in my wash bucket then I will wash them with my microfiber towels.

This is how I wash my pads, no probs at all.

CAMAROZL1
02-12-2012, 05:33 PM
This is how I wash my pads, no probs at all.

I have never thought of washing my pads this way. Do you use regular detergent soap or micro rejuvenator soap?

mark58
02-12-2012, 05:34 PM
I just use dawn liquid soap and wash them in the laundry sink by hand.

RTexasF
02-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I've always washed mine in the washer but not with towels. Some are five years old and still working as they should. If it's a job that will require a lot of pads they get pitched in a bucket of Oxy & water to soak. Prime a new pad and get on with it. I'm talking about foam, I have no MF pads.

Geeked-out
02-12-2012, 09:37 PM
great feedback .. thanks fellas.

Danube
02-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I have never thought of washing my pads this way. Do you use regular detergent soap or micro rejuvenator soap?

Ordinary laundry detergent, no softener at all.

Temp +30C

I wash MF towels with pads at the same time, no probs.

Niebelung
02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
I spray the pads with concentrated APC and scrub them out with an old tooth brush.

Actually, I found that a really good implement(s) for cleaning out pads are....

Your fingernails. "Scratching" the pads really helps to remove embedded waxes and polishes, but you'll be spending the next few minutes scrubbing out your nails as well =)

Or you could just use an old credit card or something that can "lift/scrape" waxy residue from just below the pad surface.

Jimmie
02-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Not a toothbrush, but have used a fingernail brush between passes. Hold at an angle and don't press too aggressively. I have also used a terry towel between passes.
When cleaning pads I usually use fingertips or knead with thumbs.

richy
02-12-2012, 11:08 PM
What I use, and it works great, is a plastic nail cleaning brush. Easy to handle, and the bristles are stiff enough, but not too stiff to cause damage. It is a better size than a toothbrush too.

Edit: I see Jimmy just beat me to this answer, LOL.

Alex Boyce
02-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Used a foam pad "brush", won't eve use one of those again, tore my pad apart. I've used a toothbrush and had a OK experience with it. I used it on the fly between panels.

I had much better luck just changing the pad or using a pad washer between panels.

I clean my pads with a pad washer or by hand in the sink with some APC. Always works great for me.

asd60303
02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Ordinary laundry detergent, no softener at all.

Temp +30C

I wash MF towels with pads at the same time, no probs.

I use the CG wash detergent. I use the technique on foam pads incase some of you guys were wondering.