PDA

View Full Version : How to clean bare aluminum?

shoeless89
02-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey guys! A project I've been working on for the last month or so it re-finishing the lip on my summer wheels. I've sanded and polished them and I'm going to clearcoat them. I want to make sure the surface is as clean as possible but I'm not sure what to use since its just bare aluminum now. I was thinking OPC but not sure if its safe enough. Any input would be awesome! Thanks everyone. :screwy:

forrest@mothers
02-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Do you mean "clean" as in remove any polish residue?

To remove any polish residue isopropyl alcohol would be a good choice.

shoeless89
02-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Do you mean "clean" as in remove any polish residue?

To remove any polish residue isopropyl alcohol would be a good choice.

Thanks kind of what I mean. I planned on using IPA or Eraser before painting but the wheels are covered in black sanding slurry. I'm pretty sure soap and water will get most of it off. Just seeing if anyone knows of anything that might work better or make the job easier :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

chaotik
02-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Don't use any kind of degreaser, etc. As it will turn your freshly polished aluminum white, quite quickly.

I polish aluminum ( mostly on big rigs) during the summer. When I finish with one grade of polishing rouge and need to clean the surface of any remaining rouge / residue , I use mineral spirits. Basically wipes it right off without affecting your polishing job. And since you are clearing them, after mineral spirits, I would give a good cleaning to the rims with some Prep -sol. It's a pre paint cleaner that leaves no residue behind. Leaving a clean surface for the paint to adhere too. Not sure what kind of clear you are using... Gotta watch out as some will yellow over time. Look at Eastwood products as they sell a dedicated metal clear/ sealant. There are others that make products similar to theirs that us made for this exact purpose.

shoeless89
02-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Don't use any kind of degreaser, etc. As it will turn your freshly polished aluminum white, quite quickly.

I polish aluminum ( mostly on big rigs) during the summer. When I finish with one grade of polishing rouge and need to clean the surface of any remaining rouge / residue , I use mineral spirits. Basically wipes it right off without affecting your polishing job. And since you are clearing them, after mineral spirits, I would give a good cleaning to the rims with some Prep -sol. It's a pre paint cleaner that leaves no residue behind. Leaving a clean surface for the paint to adhere too. Not sure what kind of clear you are using... Gotta watch out as some will yellow over time. Look at Eastwood products as they sell a dedicated metal clear/ sealant. There are others that make products similar to theirs that us made for this exact purpose.

Thanks! I have some mineral spirits for when I restore headlights. The only concern I have is the lip of my rim is polished aluminum but the interior is painted black. Will the prep-sol remove any of the clear that's still on the black?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Vegas Transplant
02-10-2012, 07:30 PM
+1 on the IPA and soap and water.

Link
02-12-2012, 02:18 AM
I use a lot of PPG products , I know they make a aluminum cleaner and aluminum prep to be used before clear-coat. Check if any of your local parts stores carry PPG.