PDA

View Full Version : Meg Microfiber Pad life span ~

Pages : [1] 2

drivemax
02-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Guyz,

I'm getting very short life span from Meg MF pad for cutting and finishing pad...max 3-4 car

The 1st cutting disc velcro fail at the 1st car half detailing

Now the 2nd cutting disc and finishing become oval shape or the foam have been deform ..

Is it the pressure we apply when detailing or cleaning method??

I'm using DAS-6 speed at 3.5 and 4.5 only as it still lower than recommended speed..(Just to prevent velcro failing like the 1st pad)

Kind of disappointing.. As now i need to re-order the cutting pad ..Really doubt that this pad can fit to mass car production line..

Anyone have the same issue??

BR
Kenneth

Flannigan
02-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Using too much pressure, or not using a 100% dry pad will cause premature failure. Back off the presure, and make sure the pads are totally dry. I've had pads that I've used for 10+ cars.

SonOfOC
02-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Got some Meg MF pads with about 8 cars on them.
The pads will fail if they are saturated and too much pressure is used.

Not using a dry pad will do the same thing. It creates lots of friction and uses the saturated pad to transfer heat that will eventually delaminate the velcro.

drivemax
02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the reply..

Too much pressure will kill the velcro...but the foam deform also because pressure?

Dry pad ?? I always make sure the pad are dry before usage...Maybe there are slight chances the inner part are still not 100% dry

BR
Kenneth

Matt
02-10-2012, 11:15 PM
I keep going back and forward on buying these. I'm glad to hear that some guys are getting 8-10 cars out of them.

I will keep my eye on this thread to see if others are having the same problems as the op.

tw33k2514
02-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Switch to the optimum pads. They run cooler.

drivemax
02-11-2012, 08:02 AM
I think is better to wait longer than we will know weather optimum pad can last or not~~

Deforming, Velcro die or etc..

BR
Kenneth

Joe@Superior Shine
02-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Check your technique. I tested various MF pads for Meguiars over the last 5 + years. I am still using prototype/pre-release pads I got over a year ago.

mark58
02-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Are you using W67DA backing plate?

drivemax
02-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Check your technique. I tested various MF pads for Meguiars over the last 5 + years. I am still using prototype/pre-release pads I got over a year ago.

Thanks for chip in ....
This system is really noob prove except 2 point ...pressure and working time...

I just use enough pressure to bog down the speed but still keep the pad rotating ...OR Maybe i put down too push pressure ??

I work the product until dry abit but still can see the buffer trail when i passing the whole section ...I use around 2 pea per section and sometime i use lesser ...

I use detailing brush to clean the pad every section...

Really don't know where is the problem?

BR
Kenneth

drivemax
02-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Are you using W67DA backing plate?

I get the Meg DA System 5inch kit...

BR
Kenneth

Joe@Superior Shine
02-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks for chip in ....
This system is really noob prove except 2 point ...pressure and working time...

I just use enough pressure to bog down the speed but still keep the pad rotating ...OR Maybe i put down too push pressure ??

I work the product until dry abit but still can see the buffer trail when i passing the whole section ...I use around 2 pea per section and sometime i use lesser ...

I use detailing brush to clean the pad every section...

Really don't know where is the problem?

BR
Kenneth

Hard to tell without watching but (maybe I am crazy) you might have the pad too clean. There is a "sweet spot" between too wet and too dry of a pad. A pad that is too dry will create much more friction. I apply 4 pea size dabs per area I'm going to polish after my pad has been seasoned. I also do not polish until it is dry. Play around a little with adding more product and see how that goes.

drivemax
02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Hard to tell without watching but (maybe I am crazy) you might have the pad too clean. There is a "sweet spot" between too wet and too dry of a pad. A pad that is too dry will create much more friction. I apply 4 pea size dabs per area I'm going to polish after my pad has been seasoned. I also do not polish until it is dry. Play around a little with adding more product and see how that goes.

@Joe

Thanks for the advice ... I will check my technique and try more product and see how does it go ...

How much pressure did you use when using D300 with cutting disc??

BR
Kenneth

Joe@Superior Shine
02-15-2012, 01:15 PM
I am not a big fan of D300. I use #105 (#101 oops! did that slip in there) and #205 with the MF pads.

tw33k2514
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Why don't you like D300 Joe?