PDA

View Full Version : Novice boat detail

Hatchman
02-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Just got a new boat, to me, a '05 Chaparral Signature 260. Condition is good, low hours, rack stored on the bottom of the rack under other boats, so mostly out of the sun. Condition is lightly oxidized hull, carpet and deck is pretty dirty. Lots of mildew in the deck storage boxes, dirty fenders, dirty shore power cord, etc. Luckily the vinyl seats are in great shape and look almost new.

Here is my plan and products, let me know if this will work:

Wash non skid deck and cockpit and compartments with Star Brite non-skid deck cleaner with PTFE, hit the tough spots with Marine Simple Green.
Cockpit carpet - rent a steam cleaner, Resolve carpet cleaner, after dry, coat with Scotchguard.
Boat fenders and shore power cord: Mineral spirits followed by Aerospace 303

For the outer hull:
Wash with West Marine boat soap
Compound - Mequiars #67 One-step compound applied with Orange Lake Country (javascript:;) low cut pad with Mequiars G110V2 DA.
Polish- Pro Polish with black Shurhold pads
Sealant - Rejex (or Nu Finish since I hear it is almost the same formula) with a blue Lake Country (javascript:;) pad.

Finish up:
Vinyl and plastic trim - Aerospace 303
Plastic windows, windshield, isenglass: Plexus
Aluminum trim: Honda Pro Polish spray cleaner (aerosol made for motorcycles, but works great on paint, metal, plastic, etc)

Rust spots: Jabsco Prep and Prime from Lowes

Any advice/tips would be appreciated. I think I should have bought a rotary, but I'm afraid I will burn the gelcoat and I've already invested in the Meguiars DA. The #67 can be applied by hand and is very aggressive, so I hope the DA will be fine. Maybe should have gone with Buff Magic and a rotary with a wool pad?

Thank you all in advance!

glen e
02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
this will work and you will know in 10 minutes if you should have gone with a rotary and wool pad. It will look like you have not made a dent if it's bad and you need the rotary. I would replace the Rejex with Ultima Paint Guard Plus as it's the same stuff as Rejex but you don't have to buff it off - it glosses immediately as soon as you wipe it on....great stuff

wash with Dawn not the soap you mentioned...you want to strip everything off and leave nothing...

and no matter what you use, you cant burn gelcoat...too hard

see my posts here...

and this post on a boating site:

Wax experiment - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/391113-wax-experiment.html)

Stang Man
02-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Is a rotary a good investment for boats?

Does gelcoat have the same issues with "Swirl marks" that automotive paint does?

I know quite a few guys with saltwater boats, so I know the money is there, but I'd be there all day with my PC- while a rotary could run through a boat without breaking a sweat.

KKYS
02-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Although we have not tried #67, I'm sure it will work. After reading about #67 on Megs website. If I were using it, I'm sure I would use a wool pad
on a rotary.

Buff Magic (pink) - rotary- wool pad
Polish with sealer,something like Poorboys or simalar -rotary-LC white pad
Wax- rotary -LC blue or red pad
LC 6" back plate with 7 1/2" pads.

This is just one system that works well. Its simple,safe and very forgiving
for the novice that is apprehensive using a start to finish rotary system.

I don't have any affiliation with any of the Brand names mentioned above.

If you own a boat(gelcoat) and plan on doing your own details......a rotary should be on your list of things to buy right after your personal floatation devices. :)

glen e
02-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Although we have not tried #67, I'm sure it will work. After reading about #67 on Megs website. If I were using it, I'm sure I would use a wool pad
on a rotary.

Buff Magic (pink) - rotary- wool pad
Polish with sealer,something like Poorboys or simalar -rotary-LC white pad
Wax- rotary -LC blue or red pad
LC 6" back plate with 7 1/2" pads.

This is just one system that works well. Its simple,safe and very forgiving
for the novice that is apprehensive using a start to finish rotary system.

I don't have any affiliation with any of the Brand names mentioned above.

If you own a boat(gelcoat) and plan on doing your own details......a rotary should be on your list of things to buy right after your personal floatation devices. :)

amen - a da /orbital on a boat is good for touching up but not much else....

Hatchman
02-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Update

Did starboard side by hand, only used West Marine Cleaner Wax, using microfiber applicator and towels. Turned out really good, good shine, good reflection. Easy on, very hard to get off, lots of oxidation coming off on the towels, lots of elbow grease.

Did the port side using the Megs DA G110V2 started out using Megs 67 on a orange Lake Country low cut pad. Very hard to get off, didn't seem to be aggressive enough for a compound nor enough polish effect for a "one step" product. Super hard to get off with a microfiber. Gave up on it went back to the West Marine Cleaner Wax. It was also harder to wipe off than the starboard side, but I was putting it on with the DA with a low cut pad, so was probably cutting off more oxidation. Went to a terry cloth for removal and things starting going much smoother. The port side was also in the sun from where it was stored, so more oxidation.

Overall, here are my conclusions
1. Very happy with the cleaner wax, comes off easier with much more gloss
2. Not happy with the megs 67, not aggressive enough for compound, not gloss enough for a one step. Seemed the cleaner wax removed more oxidation, wiped off easier, easier to apply by hand (on the tight spots), and left more of a gloss with better reflection.
3. Megs DA with orange pad is OK, but should have used a rotary and wool pad for the oxidation. Luckily I only had light oxidation.

Pics below:
The day I picked it up.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/Hatchman_bucket/05%20Chaparral%20Signature%20260/Sig260New001.jpg
The day I picked it up, had a little bit of gloss/reflection
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/Hatchman_bucket/05%20Chaparral%20Signature%20260/Sig260New004.jpg

Before I got started
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/Hatchman_bucket/05%20Chaparral%20Signature%20260/Notdone.jpg

Starboard side done with Cleaner Wax by hand
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/Hatchman_bucket/05%20Chaparral%20Signature%20260/DoneCW2.jpg

Port side, below rub rail is done with 67 and cleaner wax, above rail not done
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/Hatchman_bucket/05%20Chaparral%20Signature%20260/btmdonetopnot3.jpg

Will follow up with Pro Polish over the whole boat applied with DA and black Shurhold pads.

glen e
02-11-2012, 10:42 AM
nice work....boats are a work in progress..my feeling is the opposite of cars - choose a product that is 1 step more MORE aggressive than you think you need and then seal it with a sealant like rejex or collonite.....

rent a rotary when you do it again next year...your back and arms will thank you for it, a orbital has no place doing a hull job unless the hull is brand new...

from direct experience - meg 1 step compound, a rotary and wool pad will get a hull glossy that is 5 years old and never been waxed....Try Duragloss 561 too - killer stuff - follow with 501....

Diversion
04-01-2012, 04:10 PM
What a bout a Flex 3401 or do I still need a rotary?

glen e
04-01-2012, 05:35 PM
What a bout a Flex 3401 or do I still need a rotary?

it would be better, but there is no simple answer to your question - it depends on the amt of oxidation....that's why when you hire a good detailer he brings all his machines to the party, as until he gets there, he does not know what will work...

TimmyG
04-01-2012, 06:03 PM
As mentioned, a DA is only going to go so far on a boat. I used my Porter Cable as a wax spreader on my sea ray. Otherwise I use my makita rotary to get all the oxidation removed.