PDA

View Full Version : How long to remove swirls and polish with pc 7424xp?

drewberg11
02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Just got my first machine in. I've never working with any polisher before. I used a swirl remover followed by a finishing glaze. Car came out great but wow it took me forever. Alot of it probably had to do with getting the technique down and figuring out those curved body panel and lines. I did 6 passes for each area I worked. Did the roof and deck lid twice because of how terrible shape they were I think it's taken me close to 9 hrs for the 2 steps. (midsize sedan) Slowest detail award?? Still have to seal it in the am.

How long does it take others on average to perform these 2 steps with a porter cable?

embolism
02-08-2012, 11:32 PM
9 hours is pretty good for your first correction. In fact, if you were using 6.5 inch pads, it's freakin' amazing

Danube
02-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Paint correction take usually 8-10 hours of my time for a proper job.

Dirtyrango212
02-09-2012, 12:30 AM
9 hours is pretty good for your first correction. In fact, if you were using 6.5 inch pads, it's freakin' amazing

:iagree: if shooting for perfection its gonna take longer I usually spend 3days doing my truck and that's only finishing with the pc no correction :eek: but with technique it gets better..

JSMet
02-09-2012, 11:39 AM
I agree with the other folks who have answered you. If done properly, it's going to take some time, particularly when it's the first time for you and/or the car you're working on. The result is what counts.

drewberg11
02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks everyone I guess I wasn't too far off then. It sure does give me an appreciation for proper wash technique. I sure don't want to do all that work again anytime soon. Just added a grit guard to my next order :)
All that work and snow is in the forecast Saturday! At least I got the sealant on.

Mike Phillips
02-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I would agree with what everyone wrote above...

The major correction step takes the longest and if you don't do it right then the swirls and scratches will still be there after you wipe off the last coat of wax or paint sealant.

Quality can't be rushed.

Tools like the Flex 3401 or a rotary buffer can speed up the correction step because of their direct drive power but you still can't rush using these tools.

Having more people running more polishers can speed up any project... like wetsanding, cutting and buffing a 1989 K5 Blazer...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1377/MorePeopleMoreBuffers001.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1377/MorePeopleMoreBuffers002.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1377/MorePeopleMoreBuffers003.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1377/MorePeopleMoreBuffers004.jpg

:D

Kaban
02-11-2012, 12:53 PM
hand method ftw.... i used every type and style of machine polisher on the market. nothing beats doing the paint correction by hand. plus its more satisfying. flex, pc, they're all overrated.

Rix6
02-11-2012, 01:01 PM
hand method ftw.... i used every type and style of machine polisher on the market. nothing beats doing the paint correction by hand. plus its more satisfying. flex, pc, they're all overrated.
Hand is overrated. :D

:bolt:

glen e
02-11-2012, 01:28 PM

ummm...no.....I don't have 24-36 hours to get "satisfied".....

mark58
02-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Doing it by hand it's like walking to to store 10 miles one way VS driving.

BWG707
02-11-2012, 02:03 PM
That's really good to hear. I've been debating about buying a machine but First I'll try it by hand. There is very little correction needed, I just want to try a light polish by hand.

embolism
02-11-2012, 02:07 PM
try taking out one light scratch (that doesn't catch your fingernail) using M105 (one of the strongest compounds out there) by hand and you'll buy a machine the next day guaranteed

Kaban
02-11-2012, 03:49 PM
ummm...no.....I don't have 24-36 hours to get "satisfied".....

whatever floats your boat I guess... can't achieve the hand result with a machine. thats for sure.

rider9195
02-11-2012, 03:52 PM
whatever floats your boat I guess... can't achieve the hand result with a machine. thats for sure.

You must have soft clear coat.