PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to wetsand a brand new car?

Pages : [1] 2

s1tl
02-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Okay, here is my dilemma. Im getting a brand new Honda CR-Z Milano Red real soon and I'm wanting to remove all orange peel and apply Optimum Coating onto the paint.

I have 3 option here

1. I wet sand entire car with 2000grid sand paper by hand then remove the sanding marks with Optimum Hyper Polish because its the only polish I have;

2. I wet sand the entire car with 2000grid sanding disc on a Bosch ROB which will be more consistent and even than hand sanding then only remove sanding marks with Optimum Hyper Polish or;

3. I follow my fellow detailer buddy's advice of using a velvet pad with Osren P40 compound to remove orange peel with a rotary.

What do you think is the best and safest step? Im really paranoid in using harsh correction method on a spanking new car.

pls do advice me...

VR8
02-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Think about it for a loooooong time! It may just be me, but I can't imagine the orange peel would be so bad that I would wet sand the entire car when it's brand new. You're certainly compromising the clear coats longevity.

Is it going to be a show car? Daily driver?

silverfox
02-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Unless this is going into storage as a show car on the concurs circuit...why? Practically all new cars have some orange peel...its kinda cool I think.

Meticulous-Detail
02-08-2012, 01:32 PM
I agree with the above statements, bird poo is going to eat right through that paint on a daily driver.

Mike Phillips
02-08-2012, 02:01 PM
If it were my car I wouldn't do it.

Here's what I always say in my classes on wetsanding and also type in posts on the forum...

"It's easy to wetsand paint, at its core this means putting scratches into the paint, the tricky part is getting them out"

I wrote an in-depth article on this topic and it can be found in my article list under

Wetsanding - Dampsanding - Colorsanding Topics

Wet-sanding - Fresh Paint vs Factory Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/21471-wet-sanding-fresh-paint-vs-factory-paint.html)

It's very in-depth and should help you make up your mind.

:)

FUNX650
02-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Here's what I always say in my classes on wetsanding and also type in posts on the forum...

"It's easy to wetsand paint, at its core this means putting scratches into the paint, the tricky part is getting them out"

I wrote an in-depth article on this topic and it can be found in my article list under

Wet-sanding - Fresh Paint vs Factory Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/21471-wet-sanding-fresh-paint-vs-factory-paint.html)

Thanks again for sharing this info...Mike!!

I share these sentiments exactly:
"If it were my car I wouldn't do it".

We enjoy taking our vehicles out for a spin...
(Every now and then.)

Bob

Kristopher1129
02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Others have already stated...but I say why? Orange peel is no big deal unless it's a show car.

I know we all seem nuts, and don't allow swirls or orange peel on any of our cars...but we aren't THAT nuts, haha. My car has both, and I could care less.

armoredsaint
02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Lol

sling-2
02-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Just live with the op since was a new car, velvet pad+P40 compound just to minimize the op.
Honda paint is soft and thin.

rfinkle2
02-08-2012, 06:22 PM
I am not a fan of the orange peel either, but I'd prefer to have some clear to work on as an insurance policy.

s1tl
02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Think about it for a loooooong time! It may just be me, but I can't imagine the orange peel would be so bad that I would wet sand the entire car when it's brand new. You're certainly compromising the clear coats longevity.

Is it going to be a show car? Daily driver?
its gonna be a daily drive. but i kindof like the feeling that you are driving a mirror around :xyxthumbs: but oh well....

Unless this is going into storage as a show car on the concurs circuit...why? Practically all new cars have some orange peel...its kinda cool I think.
well im not sure about Honda, but i see most JDM cars has heavy op which i myself cant stand

I agree with the above statements, bird poo is going to eat right through that paint on a daily driver.
I plan to Coat the surface with Optimum Coating wouldnt this be a add back to the removed clear?

Thank you Mike! you had cleared much of my misery

Thanks again for sharing this info...Mike!!

I share these sentiments exactly:
"If it were my car I wouldn't do it".

We enjoy taking our vehicles out for a spin...
(Every now and then.)

Bob
Thanks Bob, i think i know what has to be done...

Others have already stated...but I say why? Orange peel is no big deal unless it's a show car.

I know we all seem nuts, and don't allow swirls or orange peel on any of our cars...but we aren't THAT nuts, haha. My car has both, and I could care less.
I personally wouldnt want to drive around with swirls and heavy op as a professional detailer? I drive an E36 325 and my car has no swirls but has op which sometimes is irritating.

Just live with the op since was a new car, velvet pad+P40 compound just to minimize the op.
Honda paint is soft and thin.
which means to you, velvet pad + p40 compound is the best option here?

I am not a fan of the orange peel either, but I'd prefer to have some clear to work on as an insurance policy.
you have a point here..

sling-2
02-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Damp sanding is the best option to remove op, as I said Osren velvet pad+P40 just remove 30-50% of op. Btw do u hv PTG ?

alko
02-08-2012, 07:13 PM

:iagree: call me weird but I don't mind the dealer orange peel. I ESPECIALLY wouldn't do this to a Honda. Honda has gotten cheap with materials these days. The paint is really thin so you don't have much room to work with. You need to take into consideration future plans for the vehicle. If you plan on doing any type of correction to remove defects, you'll have WAY less room to play with.

glen e
02-08-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree about the Honda....own one and worked for them....most far east imports too...

Clay the car with smooth clay and slap a coat of BF TPnS on it

go have fun....

Kristopher1129
02-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I personally wouldnt want to drive around with swirls and heavy op as a professional detailer? I drive an E36 325 and my car has no swirls but has op which sometimes is irritating.

Yeah, I drive a 99 Civic, ha. Soooooo no big deal to me!