PDA

View Full Version : Question for mytee lite II users

tkendrick
02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Just received my mytee lite II. I need help.

Can I use a standard electrical plug-in to power the unit?

My plan is to spot treat my carpet with Folex, agitate, then extract. Do I still need to use a defoamer if I don't use chemicals in the extractors water?

Any other useful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kristopher1129
02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes, a standard outlet is fine. Just don't plug the machine cable in to an extension cord. The machine has a much higher gauge cable, and will fry an extension cord.

tkendrick
02-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Very helpful.

Anyone know about the need for defoamer?

Kristopher1129
02-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Very helpful.

Anyone know about the need for defoamer?

Yes. Defoamer is needed in pretty much any extractor. I've never seen one that wouldn't benefit from it. You want the defoamer to prevent anything you suck up to foam up excessively and end up damaging the internal workings of the extractor.

The Mytee Lite will from time to time over foam, but the excess spills out the bottom. But, you still want to put a product in the fill tank that will help clean, deodorize, and defoam as you extract. Now a days, there's products that do all those things.

tkendrick
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Kristopher1129....thank you for a complete and concise answer.

toycar18
02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes, a standard outlet is fine. Just don't plug the machine cable in to an extension cord. The machine has a much higher gauge cable, and will fry an extension cord.

You won't fry an extension cord. The vacuum and pump will have less power and will effect performance of the machine. A higher gauge extension cord will help deliver full power.

tkendrick
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Here is an interesting bit I found on the Folex website. Found under the machine cleaning tab. It reads "Folex is not a soap, so you do not need to add a defoamer"

These guys are killing me.....should I pay any attention to this claim?

Kristopher1129
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
You won't fry an extension cord. The vacuum and pump will have less power and will effect performance of the machine. A higher gauge extension cord will help deliver full power.

Tell that to the two extension cords I've friend by plugging the extractor into it. Running the extractor made the extension cord so hot it melted twice. One time ending in a spark, ha.

So yeah...it definitely will fry it over time. Maybe my machine has an issue...but, this happened twice, and that's enough for me to speak from experience and say it does happen.

Rav777
02-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Here is an interesting bit I found on the Folex website. Found under the machine cleaning tab. It reads "Folex is not a soap, so you do not need to add a defoamer"

I would still get the defoamer to protect your investment. I don't go crazy with carpet cleaning products and it still ends up foaming. One time I was extracting the back of a mini-van and all of a sudden I heard the mytee sputtering foam from the bottom. I am glad this was on my former boss's machine lol but when the customer saw this she reminded me that she spilt a can of soap or bleach there once. I swear I thought that motor was done for with the sounds it was making. So yeah better to just be safe!

These units draw about 20 amps it seems. Make sure you get a small chord with a breaker rated to the proper amperage so it can pop that one and not the one on your customers home. I forgot my breaker chord today and I detailed in front of a home from the 50's era, so the plugs had no gfci circuit breaker. The power went out of the house 3 times. Luckily the main breaker box was nearby.

Tell that to the two extension cords I've friend by plugging the extractor into it. Running the extractor made the extension cord so hot it melted twice. One time ending in a spark, ha.

So yeah...it definitely will fry it over time. Maybe my machine has an issue...but, this happened twice, and that's enough for me to speak from experience and say it does happen.

Woah what guage were you running? I have tried 12 but If you fried a 12 you can try a 10. That is pretty crazy though.

Kristopher1129
02-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Woah what guage were you running? I have tried 12 but If you fried a 12 you can try a 10. That is pretty crazy though.

I fried two 12s. If I bought a 10, it would literally be only for the Mytee. I just use the cord that's attached. It's plenty long anyways.

I was surprised too. The first one I just figured was a bad cord or something, cause it was pretty old. I replaced it with a brand new one, and about a week later...sparks were flying, ha. I thought it was pretty strange.

I doubt it would happen with a 10 gauge. But, there's no need. I learned my lesson already, ha.

toycar18
02-09-2012, 10:23 PM

That is a BS claim. Folex has surfactants in it. Which they consider not to be a soap. Even though surfactants are soap.