PDA

View Full Version : Wash Mitts: My thoughts. Warning! Long post.

Pages : [1] 2

Hoytman
02-08-2012, 01:16 AM
After reading Corey's most excellent review on a certain wool wash mitt, I went back and reviewed the videos a second time. I did this because I noticed something that caught my eye right off the bat the first time when I viewed the video clips.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/45955-review-carpro-2-fingers-mini-wool-wash-mitt.html

Evem though I'm not new to AGO it was almost as if I was viewing Corey's post as if it was the first post I'd ever read on this forum, let alone the first detailing thread one might read. I'm not sure why I had images flash through my mind of a newbie seeing this nice quality mitt and wanting to use it on a real dirty car. That's when I noticed the fibers laying flat and it disturbed me to think what kind of damage a newbie could unknowingly inflict on their car.

Now, so there's no misunderstanding, my thoughts are not a knock on Corey's most excellent review. I thought he put things into proper perspective on the kind of car this certain mitt should be used on, that being a well kept car that isn't too dirty to start with. It's also not a knock on this mitt's manufacturer, so don't even go there. I don't think this mitt was intended to be used on an real dirty car in the first place. It seems it's more of pampering mitt for an exotic, or even a simple well maintained DD...one that rarely goes more than a few days without a wash. We all know these people, and they know who they are.

I'm not a guru when it comes to detailing and I don't claim to be, but I do want to share my thoughts and I would like others to chime in with their thoughts on this subject as well. Some may have the opinion that I'm over-thinking this and they're entitled to that opinion. However, as detailers aren't we supposed to be thinking of the minute things anyway?

My thoughts and comments are based upon the context of long fibers vs. short fibers and how they react during washing. An even greater point of emphasis being: How long can the fibers be before you begin to see diminishing returns? That being simply pushing dirt around vs. getting it up and off of the paint.

There are factors that can effect a mitts ability to pick up dirt such as fiber type, fiber length, even fiber diameter, and objects such as trim pieces that fibers may catch on, even dirrt particle size plays a part. What about encapsulating polymers that trap the dirt within the water molecules? Molecules...huh? Now I'm getting over my own head ha ha.

What I observed in the video were long, wet, stuck together fibers. Now on Skybaby this won't present an issue, but on more dirty cars I can see issues should the uninformed try to use it on such. Obviously you'd want to blast away most of the grunge with a hard spray of water. Still there will be dirt left on anything but an immaculately kept car.

So then, imagine a tradiitional wet floor mop being dragged over your paint. I've never been a fan of those wet mops on floors because all they do is push around what little dirt may be left from brooming or dust mopping. The wet mop fingers always lag behind the mop handle unless you pick the handle up and change the direction. Even then a wet mop has two sides, and we hope that each individual strand of cotton will work its way to the floor to pick up dirt. Ever wet mopped a floor two or three times to get it clean? I have. Ever notice the trend towards microfiber mops these days? Now they're being advertised with sprayers that spray water ahead of the mophead itself. They most certainly are better in certain instances, as is a wet mop.

Given the above analogy it's easy to see that too long of a fiber in a wash mitt has potential to react just like a wet mop on a dirty car, simply pushing dirt around rather than the dirt being forced up and into the fibers and away from the paint. The goal isn't just getting the car clean, it's removing dirt as quickly and efficiently as possible by lifting it off of the paint ASAP so the paint doesn't get all swirled up. The change of direction with the mitt is important to note regarding fiber length in the context of this discussion.

In the context of light dirt from sitting in a garage, or from a short drive of a clean car and wanting to clean it before being put back into the garage, the long and extemely soft wool fibers of the CarPro mitt are certainly the most gentle on the paint. This is where (imo) the very fine and close knit, or close together fibers, do NOT present an issue. Either when cleaning or in rinsing of the mitt. Thee's not enough dirt to worry about.

Too long of a fiber, as in the CarPro mitt will (imo) present an issue on a dirtier car simply because the fibers will not "flip" with the change of direction, and expose clean dirt attracting fibers, unless you pick the mitt up off of the paint. How many are willing to do that with every swipe?

Now imagine a soft, fine or coarse, short wool fiber, or short micro fibers. I mention micro fibers because I haven't seen a microfiber mitt yet that has fibers so long that they don't change directions with the natural flow of things, exposing clean fibers to pick up the dirt. Think of these short fibers as you would a soft horse hair brush, or even a tooth brush. The bristles change direction when you move the brush in the opposite direction opening up the inner most part of the bristles. It seems to me that this is how short fibers would react thus allowing dirt to move up and into the wash mitt and away from the paint ASAP. This is the goal to prevent unwanted swirls and scratching.

IMO, good foam mitts, though hard to find otc, can accomplish great results as well. Fine dirt is push up an into the foam fibers where it's trapped usually forever. Thus they'll need replacing often. Again, lots of factors can effect how well foam works.

Combine the right mitt in the right situation along with grit guards and the two bucket method and your paint will stay nice for a long time.

I wish I had some pictures to illustrate what I see in my head. Hopefully I've been able to articulate in wrting my thougts so folks can visualize what I'm talking about.

I guess when I seen Corey's review I thought, "Boy, I hope no one takes his review out of context and tries to use a CarPro, or other long fiber wool mitt on a real dirty car."

IMO (for my own personal use):
For well kept cars long fiber wool mitts are great and should be use on this type of well kept car to be as gentle as possible on the paint.

For slightly dirtier cars (DD)I think shorter wool, cotton chenille, or microfibers work great.

For real dirty cars I like to first blast away the worst of the grunge and grime with water, then move to a sponge mitt, and finally a short fiber mitt.

Why waste and destroy a good mitt on an extremely dirty car?

Customers cars throw another factor into play. I lean more towards using a quality new, or slightly used mitt on certain cars. Bottom line on customers cars...Make absolute certain no marring can take place with whatever mitt you decide to use on the car. New or used mitt, it's your decision, but I'd say err on the side of using extreme caution.

Comments welcome. Rebutal's...go ahead...I won't be able to reply because my fingers are broke. LOL!!!

Ted S.
02-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Very well written annotation, and I completely agree with the idea that if these types of products get in the hands of a novice they will, no doubt, cause damage to paint.

But I feel that we do not have to worry about that too much. Those that are inexperienced "detailers" (or better yet, just passive car owners) will look at the price-tag of this mitt and think how they can get a few cheapo-wash medias at Wal*Mart for less than that. And they would think those Wal*Mart Mitts/Pads would do just fine. But those people see dirt, not swirls, or scratches or even holograms for that matter. Most won't notice RIDS or other minor defects that stick out like a sore thumb to us (those with above average knowledge of detailing).

Just my thoughts... I hope your fingers heal up soon. I will pray for you.Im the MAN

Hoytman
02-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Very well written annotation, and I completely agree with the idea that if these types of products get in the hands of a novice they will, no doubt, cause damage to paint.

But I feel that we do not have to worry about that too much. Those that are inexperienced "detailers" (or better yet, just passive car owners) will look at the price-tag of this mitt and think how they can get a few cheapo-wash medias at Wal*Mart for less than that. And they would think those Wal*Mart Mitts/Pads would do just fine. But those people see dirt, not swirls, or scratches or even holograms for that matter. Most won't notice RIDS or other minor defects that stick out like a sore thumb to us (those with above average knowledge of detailing).

Just my thoughts... I hope your fingers heal up soon. I will pray for you.Im the MAN

You touched on some very good points that I left out, yet was trying to imply. Thanks Ted.

One peck at a time ha ha...carry on.

john b
02-08-2012, 04:36 AM
good stuff my friend

silverfox
02-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Honestly...all reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt. They are opinions and nothing more. No product works the same on all types of paint. Repeat...NO product works the same on every type of paint. Paint types and conditions of how the paint was previously treated make a huge difference. I have boxes of products that were based on reading reviews that sit with dust on them as I was seriously disappointed in my experience with them on my cars.

CEE DOG
02-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi Bill, thanks for your well thought theoretical article. I very much enjoyed it.

I tend to disagree a bit. In fact my reasoning is almost opposite. I believe the Carpro mitt releases the dirt much better than mf chenille. The reason I prefer mf chenille on dirtier cars is because I feel it has more of a scrubbing or dirt grabbing action. On the other hnd that mf chenille holds into the dirt as well. Rather than it coming right off it drags against the paint until sprayed out with a hose.

These mitts don't hold the dirt and drag it in my experience. They dislodge it and then all that foamy lubricious water that is being released simply slides it off the paint. If any dirt doesn't slide off but is now loose and just setting on the paint comes off during rinse.

The pile is so deep and thick that the dirt doesn't stick to those fibers. It either becomes dislodged or gets between them.

As far as using foam goes I sometimes do and have a few different foam mitts but it doesn't feel right to me. It's good for scrubbing the worst of the worst but I don't believe all the dirt particles go up into the foam. Well they do but when press down they will still contact paint. They only go so far before the cavity changes direction.

In summary I don't believe people will cause damage with the Merino mitt no matter how dirty the car is as long as they rinse first and rinse the mitt properly at proper intervals.

It sounds like some detailed video is in order using it on a filthy car!

CEE DOG
02-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Let me supply another video that I think shows how it dislodged and releases water that flows the dirt away. Please look at the video in this review linked below. Its a closeup MUST SEE of how the mitt works when used properly. This is the full size mitt. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/38573-review-carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html

CARPRO WASH MITT.wmv - YouTube

CEE DOG
02-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Here's another video from farther away. MODS, please delete this one single post if it violates. This video is from a review I never posted here for obvious reasons but it shows the mitt well so I thought it would help.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBIlqfTutM&feature=youtube_gdata_player]G Wash with Merino Mitt.wmv - YouTube[/video]

Hoytman
02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi Bill, thanks for your well thought theoretical article. I very much enjoyed it.
Thanks for pointing out the theoretical value of my post. That's all it was intended to be, me visualizing how I think the mitts work. It's all I can do at this point since I don't currently own a long fiber mitt. I'm not at all implying or trying to say my thought were correct. Just thinking outloud.

I tend to disagree a bit. In fact my reasoning is almost opposite. I believe the Carpro mitt releases the dirt much better than mf chenille. The reason I prefer mf chenille on dirtier cars is because I feel it has more of a scrubbing or dirt grabbing action. On the other hnd that mf chenille holds into the dirt as well. Rather than it coming right off it drags against the paint until sprayed out with a hose.

With the wool not having "little fingers" like microfiber the wool may indeed release dirt better, but I'd like to use a piece of glass with a camera underneath to demonstrate it. I may try that when I get a camera.

These mitts don't hold the dirt and drag it in my experience. They dislodge it and then all that foamy lubricious water that is being released simply slides it off the paint. If any dirt doesn't slide off but is now loose and just setting on the paint comes off during rinse.

On a car with a nice coating or a good coat of wax I'd agree. I'm not certain if the dirt would slide so easily off of a dirtier car that hasn't been clayed and hasn't been washed in some time. It would seem the dirt and mitt would react differently to different levels of dirtiness, which is all subjective from person to person.

The pile is so deep and thick that the dirt doesn't stick to those fibers. It either becomes dislodged or gets between them.

Not sticking is good. If the dirt indeed does go between the fibers, and there's no reason is shouldn't, the ony thing that would concern me would be if it's getting carried further into the fibers and away from the paint. If it does this then that's good too.

With the long fibers (I'd currently prefer short wool fibers) it just gives me thoughts of an old dog with matted hair from stick-tites.

As far as using foam goes I sometimes do and have a few different foam mitts but it doesn't feel right to me. It's good for scrubbing the worst of the worst but I don't believe all the dirt particles go up into the foam. Well they do but when press down they will still contact paint. They only go so far before the cavity changes direction.

I thought I mentioned particle size would dictate what dirt stayed in the foam and what would be washed away, or pushed around by the foam. Perhaps I didn't mention it, but I think that's pretty obvious. Certainly some size particles will remain or the foam wouldn't get discolored after so many uses. Of course, by then we should have changed mitts anyhow.

As far as the caverns you mentioned changing direction, as places for the dirt to go, that sort of is how I envisioned it. The type of foam and how open the cells are can affect this.

Foam certainly isn't my top pick either, but I'd rather use foam when they're real grimy, rather than destroy a good mitt.

In summary I don't believe people will cause damage with the Merino mitt no matter how dirty the car is as long as they rinse first and rinse the mitt properly at proper intervals.

Agreed, assuming they are as informed as much as you or I. You may indeed be correct and your suggestion should be taken as sound advice.

It sounds like some detailed video is in order using it on a filthy car!
Your thread made me want to do some of my own testing, but I've yet to get a camera or the CarPro mitt. I'd like to test on glass that's real dirty. Without a camera it's sort of hard see what's going on underneath while using the mitt above a surface.

I like to spray my mitts out, then dunk them and slosh them in a bucket with a grit guard. For long or short fiber, even microfiber mitts I like to use the analogy of a person hair floating underwater. The hairs float up and off of the scalp and away from each other and I can see dirt being released very well in this manor from a mitt.

EDIT:
Now I'm going to watch your other videos and see what's up.

Hoytman
02-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Let me supply another video that I think shows how it dislodged and releases water that flows the dirt away. Please look at the video in this review linked below. Its a closeup MUST SEE of how the mitt works when used properly. This is the full size mitt. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/38573-review-carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html

CARPRO WASH MITT.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ul6GypoeI&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

That's more clear. You certainly didn't have to push it into the paint. I'd seen that video before, but really never noticed how easy it removed the dirt. However, it's obvious that Skybaby fits the category you mentioned in your review of being a "well maintained vehicle."

I'm not so certain you wouldn't have to push harder, even totally flatten out the fibers, on some cars that are real grimy. Still the fibers could protect more than I realize. That is interesting though.

Hoytman
02-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Here's another video from farther away. MODS, please delete this one single post if it violates. This video is from a review I never posted here for obvious reasons but it shows the mitt well so I thought it would help.

G Wash with Merino Mitt.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBIlqfTutM&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

I admire your skills with these videos. I've must get a camera and try it myself, but I'll have to learn how to post and edit a video. I'll need editing software as well.

I think this video does a good job showing the mitt at work on nice paint. I just can't wrap my mind around it working in similar fashion on a neglected car. Corn and bean dust has a way of hanging on to even the slickest of paint, and it can take some pressure to remove it. This example being flawless paint and exposed for one day all of that dust.

Then again I wouldn't waste that mitt on neglected paint. However, you're giving me the impression you think it would still work fine, and it may. I just can't visualize it, but that's why testing and videos are nice. Proof is always in the pudding for sure. Certainly nothing wrong with being wrong and learning something, which is why I come here.

One things for certain, that mitt is certainly gentle on maintained paint. Thanks for posting those videos Corey.

Dr Oldz
02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I agree with your thought process. Wool mitts tend to tangle and hold on to particles in them even when being rinsed properly. It's one reason you see people combing their wool mitts. The tangles will hold particles IME no matter how well it is rinsed. A MF fingered mitt seems to release particles better IME. I have both types and use wool on a fairly clean or just dusty car. My choice of wool is the Dodo Short haired Wookies Fist.(not available in the US that I can find but PBMG should carry it). Wet, quality wool itself is super soft and very paint friendly. I choose the short haired style because it tends to tangle less thus not holding on to particles that may marr. The problem with wool is when it picks up particles and holds on to them via the unavoidable tangling.

Comparing wool and MF mitts on perfectly clean paint, wool is better IMO and safer.............when dirt and particles are introduced, MF grabs them just the same as wool but release them better.

I think both have their places and you have to consider the task at hand before you decide which media to use.

As far as sponges, I am not a fan and feel they are the best for scrubbing ability but also the most likely to cause marring.

Very interesting post BTW!!!! :props: I am enjoying the feedback thus far in this thread!

Hoytman
02-08-2012, 07:43 PM
One thing about the long fibers Corey. If my analogy of the mop is wrong, those long fibers would certainly give plenty of room for dirt to hide and get lodged into and away from the paint.

On a car much dirtier than Skybaby and can't see escaping from needing more pressure. More pressure would mean flat fibers which still doesn't sit well with me.

CEE DOG
02-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks Bill! I was saying that I don't think the merino will scratch a grime bonded car.

Yes, I agree that mf will clean a grime bonded car more easily than any wool.

Hoytman
02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Comparing wool and MF mitts on perfectly clean paint, wool is better IMO and safer.............when dirt and particles are introduced, MF grabs them just the same as wool but release them better.

I particularly agree with the first part of that.

I
think both have their places and you have to consider the task at hand before you decide which media to use.

That was my intended point, consider what you're working on and the variables.

As far as sponges, I am not a fan and feel they are the best for scrubbing ability but also the most likely to cause marring.

I also think they are more likely to marr the paint. Ever get sand out of a natural sponge? I have, and it's why I don't use them. It's also how I know certain size particles can get trapped in certain types of foam. There are numerous types of foam mitts being sold in today's market, and most all seem to have a different feel and texture.

The majority of the folks on this, and other forums, would never have to worry about what we're discussing here. I just thought I'd bring it to the plate for discussion, in a different thread, for the sake of newbies.

Lord knows yourself, Corey, and many others, have helped me increase my working detailing knowledge a tremendous amount since I first came here.

Very interesting post BTW!!!! :props: I am enjoying the feedback thus far in this thread!

Good! I am enjoying it as well. I certainly try to present myself as being as respectful as possible. I think it goes without saying that Corey does the same.

I'm anxious to hear other long time detailers opinions, so I'm going to sit back away from the keyboard awhile.