PDA

View Full Version : 3" vs 4" buffing pads

Malibulx3
02-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm looking to pick up a smaller backing plate along with some smaller pads. Right not I have a 5" backing plate and run 5 1/2" pads, but there have been a couple of instances where small backing plate and pads would be really helpful.

I can't decide if I should go with the 3" backing plate or the 3 1/2" backing plate. Would the 3" backing plate work with the 4" pads, or would it be too small? That way, I could go with either size pad. Can't go with the smaller pads if I go with the larger backing plate.

Danube
02-08-2012, 12:03 AM
I take it you are referring to DA and not rotary?!

I use 3" BP with 4" pads, and its fantastic combo IMO. With such small pads even G110/220 seems powerful.

Malibulx3
02-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah, PC 7424XP

ShaunD
02-08-2012, 01:05 AM
I have used the DA/rotary BP with adapter the measures about 2 3/4" and with 4" pads it is a little too small, and actually caused the velcro to start to separate. With the 3.5" BP and 4" pads it works great as it doesn't risk damaging the velcro on the BP like with the 2 3/4" BP. The only thing you may find is that with the 3.5" BP the velcro cuts into the pad a little on pads with recessed velcro. IMO the 3.5" BP is more versatile and gives more control/confidence when compounding.

umi000
02-08-2012, 04:45 AM
A pad cuts best when it is fully supported by the backing plate, and therefore you can apply pressure across the entire face of the pad. The reason why the recommendation is to use backing plates somewhat smaller than the pad is for safety - you get a bit of cushion if you happen to tilt or edge the pad a little, and not have to worry about the backing plate hitting the paint. So with that said, always get the biggest backing plate you can find without exceeding the size of the pad you are planning to use it with - so in this case, get the 3.5" plate for 4" pads.

Malibulx3
02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
A pad cuts best when it is fully supported by the backing plate, and therefore you can apply pressure across the entire face of the pad. The reason why the recommendation is to use backing plates somewhat smaller than the pad is for safety - you get a bit of cushion if you happen to tilt or edge the pad a little, and not have to worry about the backing plate hitting the paint. So with that said, always get the biggest backing plate you can find without exceeding the size of the pad you are planning to use it with - so in this case, get the 3.5" plate for 4" pads.

That's what I thought too.

And then I say the CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/spot-buff-kit.html)...

...which comes with 4" pads yet a 2 3/4" backing plate...

Doesn't quite make sense to me.

Danube
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
That's what I thought too.

And then I say the CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/spot-buff-kit.html)...

...which comes with 4" pads yet a 2 3/4" backing plate...

Doesn't quite make sense to me.

You are right, IMO 2 3/4 BP is too small for 4" pads.

I use 3"BP with 4" pads, but 3.5" BP would be even better ..

Kaban
02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
The 3M 3" pads are really nice. Too bad they are not exactly cheap. I've been using them on a gloss-it 2-7/8" backing plate for a while and it works amazing. I personally don't think 2-3/4" BP is too small for 4" pads. Sometimes you want that extra overhang . Never had a problem with it.