PDA

View Full Version : CG Lava- my application & issues

Waxmax
02-07-2012, 12:03 PM
After cleaning/polishing off the previous LSP, I tried CG's Lava wax on the hood of my car. The look is nice...wet, glossy, deep, but I had some application issues.

The whipped butter consistency led me to try dipping my fingers into it and spreading it on a foam (CG red UFO)
pad. I did this to spread it thin on the applicator.

I tried to apply it thin, but Lava was a little grabby to spread and occasionally "clumped" (for lack of a better word) as I went over areas a time or two. I smooth these areas down best I could.

I let it dry for 20 minutes and then wiped off. I found it also a little grabby to remove, not difficult, but not super easy. (I'm spoiled with Fuzion/Souveran/Midnight Sun).

Initially the surface was very slick, but after a few hours it lost this slickness...and after 24 hrs. it feels smooth, but not particularly slick.

I then wiped it down with CG HV7 and that slicked things up very nicely.

Looking for comments from fellow users. The look is fine, but my application may be flawed?
Thanks.

Flannigan
02-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I just tried it on a hood last night but here is what I have come up with. I also used my fingers to spread it on an applicator. It seemed to spread very well with very little product on the pad. I also tried it on a PC and it worked very well too. Removal was a little grabby, but no worse than other true carnuba waxes. As for slickness, I didn't even bother since, IMO, most true nubas don't leave a lot of slickness like sealants. Also I tried removing after 5 minutes as well, and it came off a little easier, but I'm sure it will affect the durability.

Overall I really enjoyed it, and think it left a great look!

KneeDragr
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Does it do anything to the colors, for instance in the sun or at extreme angles? The info on the CG site make it out to be sort of 'color enhancing', which I dont know if its even possible, but if it is I would like to know what its about!

Waxmax
02-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks Flannigan....as far as slickness, I get better slickness out of all the carnaubas I have (too many), but that's not a big deal. What was interesting was Lava got less slick as it cured, usually I see just the opposite.

I'll try only letting it dry 5-10 minutes to see if that helps removal.
Are you seeing anything psychedelic??...lol. I love (or hate) CG's product descriptions.

Thanks again.

Waxmax
02-07-2012, 12:32 PM
KneeDagr- My eyes are "old", but I saw nothing out of the ordinary as far as color enhancing....the look to me is comparable to most quality paste carnaubas. A very nice deep, glossy look.

Dr Oldz
02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Very interesting. I haven't tried mine yet but I will say the "Whipped Butter" is a perfect description.

What was the temp when you applied it?

Waxmax
02-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I applied it at 50-55 F. I assume this is a hybrid carnauba-polymer LSP....maybe heavy on the polymer?

Maybe someone can chime in. From reading, it's poured hot and is an emulsion of some kind.

I saw no directions on my container....but with CG that's not all bad....sometimes they're misleading...even just copied from another product. The you tube video seemd to show a rather heavy application...that's where I got the 20 min. dry time from.

CamaroSS27
02-07-2012, 01:20 PM
I got mine in yesterday cant wait to try it this weekend

Meghan
02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I do not like to answer questions when I do not have all the facts nor have I tried this out yet.. so I asked Paul at Chemical Guys if he could assist on this one...

From Paul at Chemical Guys...
The technique you use is perfect. LAVA is a different kind of animal it is quite hard to compare to a paste wax. Using HV7 was a great idea if what you like is a slick finish using HV7 is perfect. The slickness usually acquired by a paste wax or creame wax is usually as a result of a wax or a silicone in the product. Lava shares very few characteristics similar to a paste wax. It delivers super bright vibrant colors, clarity and depth but depending on the paint because there are so many paints the finish may look bright and vibrant but not necessary the traditional " slick look". If you are looking for a product that is more "slick" in feel, a traditional sealant like Jetseal109 would be a perfect choice. Lava is designed to enhance the depth and transform the color of paint, unlike jetseal which is designed with no paint enhancing technology and is pure protection. The reason a traditional sealant like Jetseal109 offers a more slick feel is that the product is designed to Sheet off water as opposed to beading. This sheeting is great for dusty environments like many areas in southern California where a sheeting sealant helps remove dust quickly when water hits the surface. As you many know, every wax on the market has a different feel even when 2 different paste waxes are made from similar caranuaba. Even a pure white caranuba paste wax such as Celeste that is very high in caranuba does not have as close to a slick feel as Jetseal109. For the ultra slick feel, I would still recommend Jetseal109 AS THE FIRST CHOICE. If a client wants more color enhancement as first choice in a wax, then LAVA would be the best bet. Just like every detailing product, there is different characteristic to every product. Thanks for the amazing input and feedback.

Dr Oldz
02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks Meghan and Paul! Good to know what to expect! :props:

Waxmax
02-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks Megan. Lava is different for sure.

I guess my issue was more of the application and removal. It's a little more difficult than I expected, but then again, I'm spoiled with Fuzion, Souveran, Midnight Sun which I find super easy on/off and with good slickness....not sealant slickness, but still good.

I did note the HV7 worked very nicely with Lava and added sealant type slickness...maybe AG can carry HV7 (I don't recall seeing it).

I have also tried a fender panel and only let it dry 10 minutes (not 20) and it came off easier.

Pats300zx
02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Can't wait to try Lava out. The reviews seem awesome and it looks like a great product !!!!

WRAPT C5Z06
02-07-2012, 05:01 PM
I met Paul when I was at CG awhile back. He's a cool dude!