PDA

View Full Version : Some input on degreasers!

Ryansdetailing
02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
What is the most effective degreasers you use? In my shop i use simple green. Its 10.00 a gallon and hasnt let me down yet! I dump it into a 5 gallon container and dilute it with 1.5gallons of water, then transfer it into spray bottles. I use it on everything! Interior, engine, wheel wells, wheels/tires.

tw33k2514
02-07-2012, 11:38 AM
As of right now the best degreaser I have used is Zep purple.

Very strong stuff.

Ryansdetailing
02-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Ive heard of it but never used it..that purple power stuff isnt to bad but i cant get myself to pay only 5 bucks for a gallon of degreaser, its set in my mind that because its so cheap it wont do a very good job!

Ted S.
02-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Simple Green has been really hit and miss with me. It isn't safe on some surfaces, like aluminum. I think I've completely phased out Simple green for 303 Cleaner. Much safer and cleans much better at higher dillutions that SG.

Here is a link to a really old review:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/36492-review-303-fabric-vinyl-cleaner.html

Ryansdetailing
02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a good cleaner, may have to give it a try. How much did you dilute it?

Stang Man
02-07-2012, 03:05 PM
I use Simple Green like you, and buy it bulk for dilution- I use it for tons of degreasing jobs, but in detailing its usually relegated to wheels and interior work. I've used it on suspension, wheelwells, and exhaust with success, also.

If I need something a little more powerful, I bought some Zep Purple degreaser, diluted down pretty well- I use this on tires to remove any previous dressings, and it does great. Let it sit for a minute or so and you can see the brown muck come right off- agitate with a brush and rinse clean. At my dilution, I don't worry about it touching paint or wheels, but I do try to minimize this (obviously).

I use diluted SG for interior work but I'm looking for something better, so I'll keep an eye on this great thread!

tw33k2514
02-07-2012, 03:07 PM
What do you dilute it to stang man?

Stang Man
02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
What do you dilute it to stang man?

For Simple Green I just go 1:1, but it works good so I am going o experiment with higher dilutions.

The Zep Purple, I don't know off the top of my head. I used the weakest dilution they have listed on the back of the bottle though, and it is still plenty strong.

Both of these are OTC, and I picked mine up at Home Depot :props:

How are you liking your Zep? Any tips or tricks? I see they have an orange citrus degreaser I'd like to get, if only for the smell!

Ryansdetailing
02-07-2012, 03:18 PM
I love the SG, if your a member of costco or sams club they have it very cheap. I usually buy 5 gallons at a time and it lasts me a couple months, keep in mind i use it on everything! My wife actually uses it in our house for the bathroom and counters. I am going to try to dilute it more because it is so strong, see if i can make it last loner but still clean effectively.

Ted S.
02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Ive heard of it but never used it..that purple power stuff isnt to bad but i cant get myself to pay only 5 bucks for a gallon of degreaser, its set in my mind that because its so cheap it wont do a very good job!

In the review I did 15:1, which is perfect for vinyl and carpets. Maybe up it to 8:1 or 4:1 for heavier cleaning.:props:

tw33k2514
02-07-2012, 03:25 PM
For Simple Green I just go 1:1, but it works good so I am going o experiment with higher dilutions.

The Zep Purple, I don't know off the top of my head. I used the weakest dilution they have listed on the back of the bottle though, and it is still plenty strong.

Both of these are OTC, and I picked mine up at Home Depot :props:

How are you liking your Zep? Any tips or tricks? I see they have an orange citrus degreaser I'd like to get, if only for the smell!

Love the zep purple. I use it for tires, wheel wells, and engines. I use it 10:1 with no issues.

Ted S.
02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
In the review I did 15:1, which is perfect for vinyl and carpets. Maybe up it to 8:1 or 4:1 for heavier cleaning.:props:

But I would only recomend it as vinyl/fabric cleaner only. I've tried cleaning rubber and tires with less than stellar results. I think I may invest in some OPC for rubber and leather.