PDA

View Full Version : Mr Clean Magic Erasers

NickZ28
02-07-2012, 05:56 AM
While watching TV yesterday, I saw a commercial for these, and it said they can be used on automobile wheels. Has anyone ever tried using these on wheels? Just curious...

glen e
02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Be very careful with these..they are the equivalent of 3600 wet sand paper - and can scratch gloss....

alko
02-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I just picked some up on clearance at Target. I've read that people use it on interior plastic to remove scuff marks on panels. Anyone use it for that?

embolism
02-07-2012, 09:52 AM
it can be used for that as the melamine gets into the little grooves in the textured plastic. I'd just as soon use a little OPC and a brush to do the same thing though.

Like glen said, you have to be careful as they are abrasive and if you rub too hard then you will burnish the plastic and leave a mark where you rubbed that will look worse than the original scuff.

scratches on plastic generally can't be fixed, only made to look better

alko
02-07-2012, 10:04 AM
thanks for the info Tim!

tw33k2514
02-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Yeah, they are great when used correctly. I have even used them on leather. But I do not recommend making that a common practice. The leather was extremely trashed, and would not come clean. The eraser used gently along with APC+ made it look brand new.

richy
02-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I've even played with them on paint during the wet sanding process.

ziggo99
02-07-2012, 03:01 PM
They work great for removing dried wax off exterior plastics.

ScottB
02-07-2012, 07:00 PM
I only use the plain version (no cleaner) to wipe up hard spots on the kick panels and skid plates just inside the door. No hard grinding, just a wipe or two with a damp one.

sahrcar
02-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I had a client say that the Mr. Clean erasers worked great for removing the scratch marks from underneath the door handles. I never knew what to think of that but I guess if they really are the equivalent of 3600 grit I guess maybe they could be safely used for that.

Kristopher1129
02-07-2012, 08:54 PM
I buy them in bulk, and use them every day. I've never used them on wheels, nor have I ever seen any reason to do so.

They may work as sort of an applicator if you're using a polish as well. Other than that I don't see the point.

Actually, now that I think about it. I do use them on Subarus from time to time cause they get that grease build up around the lug nuts. Some degreaser and a magic sponge takes that out pretty quick. But I wouldn't agitate too much with a magic sponge on a wheel.

ryanmcg1
02-07-2012, 09:44 PM
I just picked some up on clearance at Target. I've read that people use it on interior plastic to remove scuff marks on panels. Anyone use it for that?
I have used a magic eraser a few weeks ago on the interior plastic under my leather driver seat. It had scuffs and looked like dye transfer from jeans from the previous owner apc wouldn't get it out I tried the eraser lightly on a small test spot and like magic it was gone. I finished up and plastic was smooth clean and no sanding tracers. Give it a try just do a test spot on a inconspicuous area.

tw33k2514
02-07-2012, 09:48 PM
for those of you who use these often. Go to ebay and buy them in bulk for almost nothing. They are all the same.

Kristopher1129
02-07-2012, 09:50 PM
for those of you who use these often. Go to ebay and buy them in bulk for almost nothing. They are all the same.

Agreed. I buy boxes of like 300. The defect boxes are even cheaper. The last box I bought was claimed to be defects and they all look the same.

richy
02-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the tip!!