PDA

View Full Version : Brushed stainless care

Pages : [1] 2

szyp
02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove scratches from brushed stainless steel without making it worse? All suggestion are welcome., as long as you are niceabout itFeed back please

embolism
02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
how about 0000 steel wool and some type of lubricating compound or AIO going in the direction of the "brush" only?

szyp
02-06-2012, 05:36 PM
I am aware of the importance of going with the grain- the scratch is against the grain..thanks for your tip, but pardon my newness, but what is AOI?

FUNX650
02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
What type of surface, that's brushed SS, is the scratch(es) on/in...Sink, refrigerator, tool box?

If I remember correctly...The DeLorean came with a SS-wire-brush for scratch removal!!

:)

Bob

szyp
02-06-2012, 06:54 PM
The front of a brand new refrigerator- darn it!!

mark58
02-06-2012, 07:56 PM
STANDARD ABRASIVES - BUFF & BLEND WHEELS

Fits in electric drill or air grinder. Max speed 8000 rpm.you need to get VERY FINE wheels. Must practice on other surface first. I would also check Lowes or Home depot for similar product.

FUNX650
02-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I am aware of the importance of going with the grain- the scratch is against the grain..thanks for your tip, but pardon my newness, but what is AOI?

The front of a brand new refrigerator- darn it!!

The look of Brushed SS is accomplished by scratches...Usually done with a belt sander at the factory, or their vendor.

My fridge has the hairline-scratches-effects, which, BTW, is the easiest to improve the appearance of "after-market-scratches".

Note: Do a Test Spot in an inconspicuous place, first and foremost, before attacking the blemished/scratched areas.

I went with the "least aggressive method first":
-A paste of BarKeeper's Friend rubbed gently, then with more passion behind one of the Wife's dishcloth (I liked the ribbed material to simulate the hairline scratching effect.) Some improvement in one area...Not so much on another (below the ice-maker).

Stepped up a level to:
Revere Copper & SS Cleaner (Home Depot); Some more, but not enough for the one area below the ice-maker.

Up a level to the:
Scratch-B-Gone Kit (Home Depot)...Getting there.

Up one more level:
3M Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound (# 39002)

Last level of 'cutting' (only where I deemed necessary): Copper/Brass/SS "wool"...#0000, with the 3M product.

-I didn't use excessive downward pressure at any steps, just a little passion at times...You don't want to wind up with a "shiny" surface. Be Patient...Go Slow!!
-And as you know, always with the grain/ factory brushed-in SS-scratches.

-Clean-up with white vinegar.

You can try these methods if you so wish...You didn't say how deep the scratch(es) were, though.

Best of Luck!

Bob

SATMAN40
02-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Amazon sell a product called scratch b gone, and yes it work..about $30.00 if not happy send it back.....

Lasthope05
02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Wet sand with fine grain sand paper. Start with 1000grit and if it doesnt work your way down to 800grit. You dont polish the scratch because you will just end up with a shiny spot on your finish. Sand with the grain

szyp
02-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Thank you all for your help. I will report back on any success or lack of it.

Nappers
02-08-2012, 07:53 AM
I was watching Overhaulin' and Foose did some Brushed Stainless on polished Stainless I think using a scotch pad or something similar and putting some kind of weight on it and pulling it the pad to get the look he wanted. You may be able to do that and get rid of the scratch and go with the grain of course and restore it.

BillE
02-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Just what I found about MY reefer...

That sucker has a clear coat on it!

Bill

szyp
02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
AHA!! That is exactly what I thought and why I asked the forum members before I really screwed it up. It is a lot like the repair I had done on my 87 Corvette- you can spot shoot the damaged base coat area- in this case the scratches- but then you must shoot the entire panel with clear coat. Newer clear coats may be different- but I do know that no matter how good the body shop repair is, it is not the same as what is applied in the factory. What's my point? It's like a pimple on the end of your nose- you think it's the size of a tree trunk and no one else even notices it. My fix is: (drum roll please) step a- don't look at it
step b- leave it alone
step c, if absolutely necessary, cover the area with a calendar or trash pick up schedule, or perhaps a collection of non abrasive refrigerator magnets .
step d- repeat above steps in any order until the next scratch appears, and reality sets in that this is the way things get when they are used. Should I never drive my Merc because it might get dirty?

Important- thank you everyone who was kind enough to lend their advice and insight- I hope to be able to return the kindnesses some day.

FUNX650
02-08-2012, 10:58 AM
AHA!! That is exactly what I thought and why I asked the forum members before I really screwed it up. It is a lot like the repair I had done on my 87 Corvette- you can spot shoot the damaged base coat area- in this case the scratches- but then you must shoot the entire panel with clear coat. Newer clear coats may be different- but I do know that no matter how good the body shop repair is, it is not the same as what is applied in the factory. What's my point? It's like a pimple on the end of your nose- you think it's the size of a tree trunk and no one else even notices it. My fix is: (drum roll please) step a- don't look at it
step b- leave it alone
step c, if absolutely necessary, cover the area with a calendar or trash pick up schedule, or perhaps a collection of non abrasive refrigerator magnets .
step d- repeat above steps in any order until the next scratch appears, and reality sets in that this is the way things get when they are used. Should I never drive my Merc because it might get dirty?

Important- thank you everyone who was kind enough to lend their advice and insight- I hope to be able to return the kindnesses some day.

Thanks for your post...Nice to hear your kind words of appreciation.
Sorry I personally couldn't be of assistance for this issue, though...Perhaps next time?!

Bob

szyp
02-08-2012, 11:11 AM
It is a pleasure to be associated with the members of this forum, and yes, I have been at forums where there are some jerks, but in those cases the adage "don't argue with a negative person because you can never win", and/or" :dblthumb2:a fool spoken to wisely remains a fool". I consider myself fortunate to be accepted by the members here and am itching to be able to contribute instead of just thanking. Thank you for your kind thought.