PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber towels lose water absorbability

Pages : [1] 2

szjalo
02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi all. I've been using some great quality microfiber bath towels (given by girlfriend as presents, don't tell her please) as my drying towels. After few times using, washing and drying (laundry soap and no heat drying), I felt the towels lost water absorbability a lot.

I used to be able to use one towel to dry entire car. Then started to used two. and now I felt I may add the third one to make the job done.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to restore the absorbability of the towels? Like some microfiber conditioner? Or maybe those bath towels are just not as good and durable as special designed automotive microfiber towels?

If there is no way I can restore those towels, i will just wash them like crazy and use them on my body and tell my girlfriend they are so wonderful towels.

Thanks in advance

Meticulous-Detail
02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Are you using fabric softner?

tw33k2514
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Are you using a spray wax as a drying aid? And what is your towel washing procedure?

MI Mike
02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Are you using fabric softner?

Another area to check is the dryer. Alot of people have been putting in the fabric softner bars in the dryer. Your towels could be picking up this.

Suggestion run the towels and add vinegar to the final rinse. See if this makes a diffence.

Meticulous-Detail
02-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Another area to check is the dryer. Alot of people have been putting in the fabric softner bars in the dryer. Your towels could be picking up this.

Suggestion run the towels and add vinegar to the final rinse. See if this makes a diffence.

Vinegar works great +1

nickgodfrey
02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Adding vinegar to the rinse restores microfiber!? I'm gonna have to try this for sure...

Mustang81
02-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Adding vinegar to the rinse restores microfiber!? I'm gonna have to try this for sure...

It's what I used to use before picking up some dedicated MF cleaner conditioner.

ProMoDe
02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Vinegar works great +1

Vinegar in rinse cycle is awesome! +2.

mwoolfso
02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
+3

triplejumper18
02-06-2012, 05:15 PM
How much vinegar do you typically add?

ProMoDe
02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
1/4 to 1/2 cup for me.

triplejumper18
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Good deal. I discovered this weekend that I have some MF towels that actually REPEL water now. I even wash them with Sonus MF soap. Our regular soap for washing clothes is all-natural for allergy purposes and we don't use any fabric softener for the same reasons.

szjalo
02-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks all! I don't use any softer but I do use some distilled vinegar as a regular base. However I just poured the small cup of vinegar into the camber with soap, instead of using it in rinse cycle. Does that make a difference?

-Ben: How would spray wax be used as drying aid? I would love to know that. I have plenty of spray wax that I no longer use

MI Mike
02-06-2012, 06:40 PM
szjalo: Thanks all! I don't use any softer but I do use some distilled vinegar as a regular base. However I just poured the small cup of vinegar into the camber with soap, instead of using it in rinse cycle. Does that make a difference?

Yes.

The vinegar should be used in the final rinse. I wait till I hear the last cycle then dump it in. The vinegar, will disolve any soap remaining and soften the towels. Vinegar acts like a natural softener. You may have to run a couple of batches (mf) to eliminate the build up.

FYI. Avoid using cider vinegar. White Distilled Vinegar Only.

:xyxthumbs:

Bunky
02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
The vinegar will help remove any soap trapped in the microfiber.

As for actually softening, I do not see how it can since microfiber is a plastic and not a natural fiber. I am sure it would feel softer if it is clean (less trapped soap) so in the end one gets the same effect.

On my washer I wash normally (single rinse). When done, I add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar and then re-rinse using the washer rinse only cycle. I found the water softener compartment in our He washer does not work as I thought it would so found that useless.