PDA

View Full Version : Anyone barter for services?

Stang Man
02-06-2012, 01:00 PM
I recently bought a new house, and was approached with an offer I couldn't turn down.

My mortgage broker had heard of the work I do, and wanted to get his personal vehicle taken care of.

He said he'd reduce my fees an amount, which was close to double what I'd charge in cash, for a detail and light paint correction.

To him, his income got taxed at such a high rate it made sense to barter his services for mine, and we both ended up on top! Even better, when I went to detail it, he said he didn't want me to worry with the interior, or engine bay- both which I had planned on doing. 5 hours later and we were square on our deal, and he was very pleased with the work :props:

Has anyone else bartered their detailing services for other services or products? It may not put money in your pocket, but its an overlooked way to acquire something else you need/want.

Perfections
02-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Shirts with company logos, business cards with designing it, vinyl decals for my van, tree/brush removal

ProMoDe
02-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Yup. Home theater installation service trade. I maintain the vehicles of the two women who clean our house in exchange for their services. Just setup a trade for some web design work and a wrap on a trailer too.

Kristopher1129
02-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Of course. The installation of the lighting in my shop was a barter. As well as my woodstove, some painting, advertisements, signage, insulation, and some other things.

It's the best way to go. Beats paying out of pocket that's for sure.

Gurge
02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
yes indeed. recently had my alarm installed on the truck in exchange for some work on the installer's honda civic

Bates Detailing
02-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Full interior for shirts

Full interior one step polish for a large screen TV

Once a month detail for a percentage off accounting fees (which was not worth it lol)

Full interior for a satisfied woman at home :xyxthumbs:

mwoolfso
02-06-2012, 05:02 PM
The only time I saw bartering become a problem is when it was overused. As long as your cost-to-gross-profit does not significantly increase and profit does not significantly decline then you are doing fine.

Rav777
02-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Do it all the time when a good deal comes up. Interior detail for brand new Makita rotary and Matco tools from a client.

Also trading a full detail and polish for a portable Ingersoll Rand compressor in about a week.

My weekly trades at the moment include free details in return for credit at an upscale sushi restaurant (owners restaurant) Lets just say my dates love it when all we have to do is tip and walk out after we eat....little did they know lol.

I am also working on a deal to get a full paint job at the moment.

WEST SIDE
02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Not as a detailer but being a trades person I've barted with plumbers,framers,concrete guys etc when I built my first house.

Ken