PDA

View Full Version : A few rookie questions

drewberg11
02-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I finally caved and bought a PC 7424xp as well as the wolfgang duo and some deep gloss paint sealant. This will be by first time working with a machine as well as these products. I've read through most of the articles and seen the videos for correct PC operation. Had a few questions about the products themselves.

First off, applying the sealant with the machine and a red pad. When I'm finished, with it being a non-water soluble product how do I go about getting the pad clean. I picked up some of the DP pad cleaner. Will this do the trick to get the sealant out?

Next up, do I need to wash the car in between the swirl removal and polish steps?

The kit I bought included a backing plate. In the online add it showed a yellow flexible plate. Mine came with a black backing plate that feels pretty stiff. Is there any difference aside from the color?

Lastly, The wolfgang kit I bought came with 6.5" pads, I keep reading that this is a very bad combo with the PC. Any tips to make it work as this is what came with the kit from AG

And thanks for bearing with all the rookie questions. Hopefully weather permitting I can get to the job in the next week or two.

Motogoon
02-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I was in your spot a few
Months back. As for pads I would do as most here and order the 34.00 six pack of lake country flat pads size 5.5 with a new yellow 5.5 backing plate it's just less for the machine to work at and is an easier combo.

I too have the Wolfgang combo and the deep gloss sealant. I did have
An issue getting the sealant out of the blue pad it was super greasy and the pad cleaner didt seem to work. I was gonna toss the pad but washed Few more times and washed it again week later pads all good.

tw33k2514
02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Tip for wax and sealant pads... Throw them in a ziplock and only use then for that sealant.

drewberg11
02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
So after using a pad for the sealant, I can just zip lock it and use it again next time? The sealant wont harden or dry out in the pad over a few months?

Oh and nice bike motogoon, I ride a KTM 250 2-stroke

tw33k2514
02-05-2012, 04:14 PM
That is correct. And no it won't dry out if the bag is sealed well.

drewberg11
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Just an update. Was able to wash and clay today and get about half of the car done with the swirl remover. About 3hrs for half the car. Took me a while to feel comfortable Pleased so far. All the light scratches came out. Had an awfull patch on the roof where it looked like the previous owner dragged a box across the paint. Almost all of it came out. Took me quite a while to get the hang of the machine and right amount of product. I noticed the 6.5" pads suck. The machine bogs down quickly and the pads begin to vibrate alot due to the overhang. I think I'll be ordering some 5.5" pads at some point.

I do have one question though. Using the swirl remover I couldn't stop the damn stuff from dusting. Super fine light dusting every section I worked. Keep making a mess. Anyone else get this and know what to do about it?

Rsurfer
02-07-2012, 10:11 PM
But it will get black mold if left long enough.
That is correct. And no it won't dry out if the bag is sealed well.

tw33k2514
02-07-2012, 10:15 PM
But it will get black mold if left long enough.
How long before that happens? Longest ive left mine in a bag without using them was a week or so.

Rsurfer
02-07-2012, 10:55 PM
A week or two should be fine.

How long before that happens? Longest ive left mine in a bag without using them was a week or so.