PDA

View Full Version : Defroster musty smell

Pages : [1] 2

dinosaur1
02-05-2012, 02:38 PM
05 Highlander
08 Rav4

While running the defroster during the winter or even during summer I get a musty smell that comes out which goes away after some time. I change both of my air filters/cabin filters as needed.

The drain tube isn't plugged.

What is the best way to get rid of this smell?

TLMitchell
02-05-2012, 04:48 PM
05 Highlander
08 Rav4

While running the defroster during the winter or even during summer I get a musty smell that comes out which goes away after some time. I change both of my air filters/cabin filters as needed.

The drain tube isn't plugged.

What is the best way to get rid of this smell?

Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment 16oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/wuachesytr.html)

TL

Shane731
02-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I had a funky smell coming through my vents once and I used this:

1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Treatment (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-klima-cleaner-air-freshener.html)

Worked like a charm.

Mike lambert
02-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Turn on the ac high,take half a can of Lysol and spray on the intake outside the car ,this will kill the bacteria that causes the odor

dinosaur1
02-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Turn on the ac high,take half a can of Lysol and spray on the intake outside the car ,this will kill the bacteria that causes the odor

Any can of Lysol?
How often does this have to happen?
Is this the same as white vinegar or hvac cleaners?

BWG707
02-05-2012, 05:53 PM
What happens, from what I've been told, is that while using the AC moisture will build up in the air exhaust tubing and vents so before you stop your car you should turn the AC off and let outside air flow thru your vents to dry up the moisture otherwise it will milldew.

dinosaur1
02-05-2012, 07:48 PM
What the longest lasting air freshener?

photoadjuster
02-05-2012, 09:04 PM
inject steam in the vents for 10 minutes.

Robert8194
02-05-2012, 10:41 PM
inject steam in the vents for 10 minutes.

Have you had any problems with the extreme heat? I am concerned about melting the plastic vents. My steamer is putting out 192c. (378 F.) and I wonder if10 minutes at that temp is safe. What steamer are you using?

mwoolfso
02-06-2012, 06:33 AM
In addition to the feedback provided by others you probably should check out the car's A/C drain lines and ensure they are not clogged.

Rix6
02-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Have you had any problems with the extreme heat? I am concerned about melting the plastic vents. My steamer is putting out 192c. (378 F.) and I wonder if10 minutes at that temp is safe. What steamer are you using?Dang, that's like 13 atm of steamy delight! I wouldn't let that beast touch anything less than high temperature plastics. Like silicone or nylon kitchen cookware. Just sayin'

dad07
02-06-2012, 08:31 AM
There is a product called Ozium it's available at wally world around 4 bucks.

Spray into vents let sit for about 30mins.....then fire up the vehical let blower run wide open
bout 15mins per setting on the heat control and a/c settings order will be gone.

leave windows open some while doing this.

It works for me.....used this stuff for many years with great success.

photoadjuster
02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
I had not thought about the steam hurting the plastic. I use my VX 5000 with the small head inserted past the vent grill into the center of the ducts. I have used it 3 or 4 times on problem vehicles. I am not a detailer.

A friend ownes a Toyota Prius Hybrid. The cabin air filter is mounted in a way that allows mice to gain access to the outside of the filter. The mice tear a hole in the filter and move in to deliver their babies. They piss in their bed.

After trying over 2 dozen odor removal chemicals with no joy, we steamed it and ended the problem.

I have also used it several times to remove the cigar smoke, damp musty smell from the vents from other vehicles.

How hot do the ducts get from the heat of the heater?

mwoolfso
02-06-2012, 05:21 PM
There is a product called Ozium it's available at wally world around 4 bucks.

Spray into vents let sit for about 30mins.....then fire up the vehical let blower run wide open
bout 15mins per setting on the heat control and a/c settings order will be gone.

leave windows open some while doing this.

It works for me.....used this stuff for many years with great success.

Man this is some powerful and concentrated stuff. One needs to be careful with Ozium; can nearly take your breath away.

Robert8194
02-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Dang, that's like 13 atm of steamy delight! I wouldn't let that beast touch anything less than high temperature plastics. Like silicone or nylon kitchen cookware. Just sayin'

It's the Dupray Hill Injection and it is one mean steamer. I used the VX 5000 and it took the coating off of some plastic. Got me gun shy.