PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orange Peel

Pages : [1] 2

warrior151
02-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Alright..I just bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit...but I am disappointed!
This think looks like it was painted with an orange peel let alone it has a bug sprayed into the clear coat in door!!! It does not have a flat, mirror surface...The vehicle is shiny but when looking at the paint from any angle it looks an orange peel surface...

Has anyone detailed one of these lately? IS this typical of Chrysler product/paint?

Not looking to badger Jeep...the features of the vehicle are awesome...but I cant get past the paint!!

UGH...the Frustration!!

I know pictures...but it rainy this morning...wife will give me a few choice words if I take her camera:xyxthumbs:

Don
I am on the South end of a horse, looking North!!

wildjyoung
02-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi Don,

I have the exact same vehicle! However, what is interesting is that I was actually impressed with the overall paint job and lack of orange peel in my Jeep. I wonder if it could be different due to paint color. Mine is the Grey Metallic. What color is your Jeep?

Awesome vehicle though huh? I have had mine for 3 weeks and love it!

Josh

mg6045
02-05-2012, 08:36 AM
post the pic of the bug in the door ?

That would have never left the factory like that. Cars get damaged on the transport trucks all the time, then get resprayed before being sold.

Reason I posted in this thread is because I drove home over the throg's neck bridge in NYC and watched an Infiniti that was loaded on the truck in the last position (where the ramp folds down in the upper row) bouncing up and down off of its rocker panel sustaining damage for the entire 20 minutes of stop and go traffic (the car was parked with too much of its rear tire hanging over the fold-down ramp. In the upper row the ramp only fold down at about 45 degree's)

warrior151
02-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi Don,

I have the exact same vehicle! However, what is interesting is that I was actually impressed with the overall paint job and lack of orange peel in my Jeep. I wonder if it could be different due to paint color. Mine is the Grey Metallic. What color is your Jeep?

Awesome vehicle though huh? I have had mine for 3 weeks and love it!

Josh

What is funny is mine is the Mineral Grey...I think I got one painted on a Friday afternoon or Monday morning....
This vehicle is powerful and pulls a trailer without a blink...but I have a hard time looking at it without shaking my fist!!

Don

warrior151
02-05-2012, 04:52 PM
post the pic of the bug in the door ?

That would have never left the factory like that. Cars get damaged on the transport trucks all the time, then get resprayed before being sold.

Reason I posted in this thread is because I drove home over the throg's neck bridge in NYC and watched an Infiniti that was loaded on the truck in the last position (where the ramp folds down in the upper row) bouncing up and down off of its rocker panel sustaining damage for the entire 20 minutes of stop and go traffic (the car was parked with too much of its rear tire hanging over the fold-down ramp. In the upper row the ramp only fold down at about 45 degree's)

I am going to wash the door and take a picture...interesting about the transport as I bought this one the same day it arrived...it had the wrappings on it.
I will give Jeep kudos as they are sending over the regional manager to take a look along with a paint expert...

Don

Porsche Pilot
02-05-2012, 05:27 PM
My silver 07 Wrangler is a complete orange grove. It's the worst paint job I have ever seen on a new vehicle. Maddening to say the least. I have learned to live with it but it has taken years of therapy.

warrior151
02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Porsche Pilot!! Thank you!! I was starting to think I was insane and a bit OCD...the price I paid for this jeep; you think the would be near flawless...i should have went with option 2...

Don

C. Charles Hahn
02-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I think I got one painted on a Friday afternoon or Monday morning....

Uh, you do realize they're painted by ROBOTS, don't you?

Porsche Pilot
02-05-2012, 07:00 PM
You are not insane Don! Well, maybe a tad...most of us pilots are a bit nuts. The month my Wrangler was out of warranty the main computer fried itself. 2 grand later it works fine. Squirrels have chewed my door handles and running boards, the rear washer hose always pops off when you activate the squirter and the fluid hits you in the back of the head. Otherwise it's been a great truck!

warrior151
02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Uh, you do realize they're painted by ROBOTS, don't you?
Copy that!...I am just wondering what the QC folks are doing when they sign off on it...one funny note...the Orange Sahara Wranglers looks perfect!...no orange peel...go figure!!

rockrash
04-01-2012, 11:16 AM
What happen with paint rep?

01GreyStangGT
04-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I've noticed for a long while that Jeeps tend to have orange peel. My mom's Cherokee has it.

Klasse Act
04-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I have to admit that Chrysler products are the biggest offenders in the orange peel department, hands down! Just look at any Ram for instance, horrible and unacceptable but like the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day" and hopefully they get around to correcting this problem that really shines (pardon the pun).

RhetoricMixes
04-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I have to admit that Chrysler products are the biggest offenders in the orange peel department, hands down! Just look at any Ram for instance, horrible and unacceptable but like the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day" and hopefully they get around to correcting this problem that really shines (pardon the pun).

Most of my clientele are Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep customers since a large chunk of them are from a local car club. I can agree with this whole heartedly since i have a dodge myself, these cars/trucks are orange peel utopia!

HeavyD
04-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Terrible paint on my 08 Wrangler.Its a Jeep thing.LOL Solved the problem by wetsanding the whole Jeep the day after I bought it,on and off took about 4 days. Jeep does have crappy paint but THICK.