PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Spray wax and the place of spray wax

faulksy
02-05-2012, 05:14 AM
As like many of us I'm always tempted by trying new products. Damn detailing addiction! I have read good things about Optimum No Rinse and their spray wax

At the moment I'm a little unsure if I'm as keen on the ONR. Don't get me wrong I hear nothing good but I have enough detailers sprays and clay lubes to get me by for a long time and do a regular wash once a week as my car sits outside. Unless ONR is far superior to Megs Last Touch and Dodo Juice Born to be Slippery I might test this at a later date

I currently use DJ RMT as a spray wax and love how easy it is to use. I have also hear similar things about the application of Optimums spray wax with being able to buy in bulk being a huge drawcard

From what I have read Optimum spray wax has a much better durability then RMT. This leads me to asking two questions before going ahead with a purchase

How does the wow/pop factor of the paint compare to RMT?

The claims of how long it lasts (5 months) confuses me if there's still a place for a traditional paste wax (3-4 months). Does a traditional paste wax still have its place if using this product?

I would have thought a paste wax would be a lot more durable given its thickening agents and that its spread on the car is more thorough

Is their any other Optimum products which come highly recommended?

Thanks

silverfox
02-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Everything Optimum makes is first class. I find the whole debate about spray wax durability irrelevant. They are being used in place of detail sprays these days so durability is not something I would base a decision on when it comes to spray waxes. I seriously doubt anybody uses them as their primary/only LSP. For my money I've not seen anything look better or be easier to use than Pinnacle XMT 360 spray wax. It will leave your paint like glass with a deep wet look.

Bunky
02-05-2012, 07:26 AM
I seriously doubt anybody uses them as their primary/only LSP.

I believe people do use as a LSP. I think you may say it is not something people use as a LSP looking for extended durability.

Detail sprays - up to several weeks

Spray waxes - several weeks to several months depending on brand

faulksy
02-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the input. I have gone ahead and purchased some. Will use it as an either a monthly top-up or to get me by when I don;t have time to do use a paste wax

BWG707
02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
+1 for XMT 360 Spray Wax.

opie_7afe
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
i have used both xmt-360 and opt spray wax, both are really similar in terms of look and slickness, smell is very similar also! however in the durability department i don't know how it fairs yet durability being tested between the two, ill use the spray wax for a stand alone LSP if its a quick detail that don't want the car waxed or just an interior detail and a wash ill apply a spray wax does help add protection. however on my personal car i use it after a rinseless/standard wash to have that freshly waxed look and feel, i also use it to extend my current wax protection, i mainly use a sealant then 845 then top 845 with meg's m16 then a spray wax and really has a nice look. the opt spray wax should make you happy. as far as ONR goes i would get some, in all honesty i rarely do a standard wash to my car except maybe once a month. i mainly use waterless wash or rinseless wash to keep her clean. yesterday i tried out the duragloss rinseless with aquawax and man stuff works great, and adds that spray wax slickness to the paint when done so really is a great product, i would give that a try or the ONR, if you have any product to trade i have a opened but new 8oz bottle of ONR.(has more then a new bottle added the rest of another onr bottle in it so probably 9oz in the bottle). i prefer the DP rinseless over optimum even though i love opt products imo the dp is a step above the onr. then the DG rinseless is a few steps above the DP for me. if you want a 2oz sample of the DP or DG rinseless washes let me know and we can work something out!

faulksy
02-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks Matt but I'm located in Australia

toni
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
How does the wow/pop factor of the paint compare to RMT?

Is their any other Optimum products which come highly recommended?

I would say that RM (not Tropical) has a more blingy sealant look while OCW has "softer" and more natural wax look.

Also RM beads much better than OCW and I consider that a con because it leaves too much water on the car after a rinse.

Not the best comparison pics due to different lighting conditions, but here it goes. This is RM:

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr32/tonipieleanu/Detailing%20stuff/Dodo_red_mist_04.jpg

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr32/tonipieleanu/Detailing%20stuff/Dodo_red_mist_05.jpg

and this is OCW:

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr32/tonipieleanu/Detailing%20stuff/OCW03.jpg

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr32/tonipieleanu/Detailing%20stuff/OCW04.jpg

OID is also very good. Very easy to use and after OOS/OCW/OID the paint sheets water like nothing I've seen. It leaves the car almost dry.

faulksy
02-10-2012, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the pics Toni. It really does give me a good idea with your explanation. I applied some RMT a few weeks ago and agree with the bling and beading comment. Had rain overnight and surprised how much the RMT was still beading.

I have some OCW on the way and probably be my go to spray wax. Will use the RMT on rarer occasions like this month for a car show when I want more bling and durability is less of a concern.

After recommendations here I will get some ONR too on my next order. Will look at XMT but OCW appeals to me with being able to buy in bulk.

Considering there opti-bond or tire shine. Currently trailing some Chemical Guys clear gel but found it difficult to apply using a tire foam applicator.

mwoolfso
02-10-2012, 08:22 AM
About 3 months ago I put on the hood of a friend's Yukon FX Synwax and topped it with OSW. I did the rest of the car using another approach. I saw it about 2 weeks ago and it was still had strong beading. I am thinking she will have another 3 months or so based on my experience with both products thus far; time will tell. Thus far, I am surprised how well that combination is holding up.

Laura
02-10-2012, 10:24 AM
I love Optimum!! There's not a limit to the gushing I could do for the company and their products. I use the spray wax about once a month. Love the gloss and the ease!

Chris Thomas
02-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I love Optimum!! There's not a limit to the gushing I could do for the company and their products. I use the spray wax about once a month. Love the gloss and the ease!

We never get tired of hearing comments like this. Thank you for the compliment, Laura!:xyxthumbs: