PDA

View Full Version : Removing water spots on my new Jeep's windows

flyinion
02-05-2012, 01:18 AM
I would have posted this in the product reviews but since AG doesn't have the product yet, I'm posting it here instead. When I mentioned earlier in the week that my windows on my new Jeep were ALL covered in water spots the Mother's rep on here contacted me and sent me some of their new "Water Spot Remover for Glass" from the CA Gold line. I'm assuming AG will probably eventually add this in to their lineup but since it's supposed to be new that might be why it's not here yet.

(Admins please let me know if there is a problem with this and I'll remove product references and pics)

I had tried both 50/50 vinegar/water mix and also even tried claying. Neither had any effect at ALL on the windows. You can see below what I was working with. Yes I was taking pics while holding a flashlight. A flashlight in the dark garage really makes them show up good.

http://www.metallic-raven.com/win_before.jpg

Here is a 50/50 shot after using the product............
http://www.metallic-raven.com/win_5050.jpg

Here are the products I used. These were all sent as part of the package I received (I was quite surprised at all that was in it). The other things I used were just some all purpose MF towels.
http://www.metallic-raven.com/win_prods.jpg

I started out trying to use the blue powerball (it's the headlight restoration one) and while it worked, for something as large as windows it was too slow and I bailed on that after about 1/2 the windshield worth of glass. I switched to just using a MF towel to apply the product and then of course a clean one to remove. It wasn't very hard to do like this at all. Surprisingly only a few circles of rubbing would remove the spots. There were a couple areas where I can still see remains of a spot or two but nothing major.

The restorer left the glass nice & smooth feeling. I used the glass cleaner to clean up residue after and it worked well, but I think I'll stick with the Stoners aerosol. I've realized how much I like the foamy spray on cleaners vs. the liquid spray bottle than runs down the window when you apply it.

Bates Detailing
02-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Love the 50/50. Curious though, how long were the waterspots there?!?!?

flyinion
02-05-2012, 02:06 AM
Maybe about two weeks. I've only had the Jeep since the 16th and that's 3 days after it showed at the dealer from the factory (and they did not wash it per my instructions). I'm not totally sure where they came from but I say two weeks because I suspect it happened on the 21st when I took it off road and we spray the Jeeps off with water after to get the mud/snow off before I drove 2 hours home. Needless to say, I won't do that again (the spraying off without washing/drying).

Bates Detailing
02-05-2012, 07:53 AM
2 weeks isn't bad - Im curious how well the product works on glass that has had a couple of years with water spots. Had my butt kicked last year removing old water spots on an Escalade...... PAIN IN THE BUTT with some aggressive products!

Finemess
02-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Nice review, and pix. I tried this yesterday for the first time by hand. Seemed to work pretty good. I think it is going to take a couple times to get all the old water spots off.

BWG707
02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I haven't tried it yet but I have heard using #0000 steel wool works very well for removing water spots.

flyinion
02-06-2012, 03:21 AM
I haven't tried it yet but I have heard using #0000 steel wool works very well for removing water spots.

Yeah I read about that when I was searching for various ways to remove water spots and a few people had voiced concerns about it being able to scratch the glass.

BWG707
02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah I read about that when I was searching for various ways to remove water spots and a few people had voiced concerns about it being able to scratch the glass.
I have read about that also. Most people say to use a lubricant and to use light pressure.

Bates Detailing
02-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Just did a two step polish on a Explorer with water spots all over it - took a yellow cyclo pad and a heavy cut compound and removed spots on the glass that had been there over a year completely. Works great :dblthumb2:

flyinion
02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Just did a two step polish on a Explorer with water spots all over it - took a yellow cyclo pad and a heavy cut compound and removed spots on the glass that had been there over a year completely. Works great :dblthumb2:

Next time I need to do some windows, I'm going to try the Mother's product again, but with my DA and a white polishing pad (like the LC ones with the really minor cut) and see how it does. The little headlight blue powerball worked well, it just seemed really small for doing large areas of glass. I could see myself using it on a single window, but to do a whole car worth of glass, I think it would slow things down too much. I guess the closest example I can give is to imagine polishing and waxing an entire vehicle with 3 or 4 inch pads.

BigDaddy
02-24-2012, 06:15 PM
You can also use(1) lacquer thinner and #000 steel wool, (2) aluminum brightener and #000 steel wool. This will remove anything that may be on the glass. Class with a good glass cleaner and they will shine. Just be careful are to get it on the paint, if you do just wipe of right away.

Vegas Transplant
02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the forum BD.

I particularly like the texture and feel while using WaterSpot Remover with the powerball. But just as you stated, I will be using this product with the pc in the future.

Kitoy22
12-20-2013, 06:55 AM
This is a product that i try to maintain in my shelf. Will remove moderate water spots, but for sever water spots and water scaling, you will need a stronger chemical, preferably an acidic one.

Father87
12-20-2013, 07:36 AM
I bought some Ceriglass, more for polishing but have read it handles spots too. They have a hand pad made for it if you don't have a polisher and glass polishing pads.