PDA

View Full Version : Health concerns working as professional detailer

kimtt
02-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi:

I would like to know are there any potential health hazards for a profesional detailer having long term exposures to the chemical usage during their job? Any safety measurements to prevent such an issue?

sparty
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Be sure to detail in a well ventilated area. Some people experience trouble breathing when using a APC. If you have allergies, compounding dust may bother you some. You can use a simple paper type filter over your nose and mouth.

Protect your hearing with ear plugs if you are using a rotary or DA. The constant noise from many hours of machine use can damage your hearing over time. Also, when taking the time to clean your pads, shake out your arms and stretch your hands and wrists a bit. Any repetitive use with a vibrating machine like a DA can cause slight to severe nerve damage. It is not uncommon to develop wrist injuries or carpel tunnel syndrome. Tendinitis is also possible in the elbows and shoulder joints.

Some people can experience chemical burns on their hands if they have sensitive skin when using acid based cleaners. Chemical resistant gloves should be worn in this case. Many cleaners will dry the oils from your hands leaving them like sand paper - like mine right now.

Lower back and neck problems do occur from many hours of stooping, bending at the waist and bad posture when working. Knees take a beating as well. If you practice good posture and actually workout and stretch, you will minimize these issues - but you will still have some aches and pains.

Finally, stay hydrated while you work, even on cool days. You will fatigue less and actually work more efficiently. Take a few small breaks and have a healthy snack - fruit, granola bar, etc. A PBJ sandwich is an excellent snack to keep you going.

Hope this helps,

- Sparty

Spiney
02-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Watch out for back pain caused by a bulging wallett. ;<)

Spiney
02-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Actually I already suffer from back pain from 3 surgeries and accidents. But the first poster pretty much covered it. If you have back issues a back support belt. And an arm support for tendinitis would be good prevention. And always straighten up and stretch say every 15 minutes. Spiney

tuscarora dave
02-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Great answer, I couldn't have said it better. I feel all of this stuff. Can't get out of bed in the morning, wrists and shoulders always sore, Lots of potential problems doing this work.

Be sure to detail in a well ventilated area. Some people experience trouble breathing when using a APC. If you have allergies, compounding dust may bother you some. You can use a simple paper type filter over your nose and mouth.

Protect your hearing with ear plugs if you are using a rotary or DA. The constant noise from many hours of machine use can damage your hearing over time. Also, when taking the time to clean your pads, shake out your arms and stretch your hands and wrists a bit. Any repetitive use with a vibrating machine like a DA can cause slight to severe nerve damage. It is not uncommon to develop wrist injuries or carpel tunnel syndrome. Tendinitis is also possible in the elbows and shoulder joints.

Some people can experience chemical burns on their hands if they have sensitive skin when using acid based cleaners. Chemical resistant gloves should be worn in this case. Many cleaners will dry the oils from your hands leaving them like sand paper - like mine right now.

Lower back and neck problems do occur from many hours of stooping, bending at the waist and bad posture when working. Knees take a beating as well. If you practice good posture and actually workout and stretch, you will minimize these issues - but you will still have some aches and pains.

Finally, stay hydrated while you work, even on cool days. You will fatigue less and actually work more efficiently. Take a few small breaks and have a healthy snack - fruit, granola bar, etc. A PBJ sandwich is an excellent snack to keep you going.

Hope this helps,

- Sparty

GaDetailDoc
02-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Always think safety. Always ensure that your work space is ventilated, well lit and free of objects. Ear plugs are a must along with having proper protective wear. Take breaks and listen to your body. Your customer will not care if you are sore next morning or if your wrists are swollen.