PDA

View Full Version : How do I get dust off my new car?

BWG707
02-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I have a new car that is kept outside. Everytime I wash and wax it the very next day even if I don't drive it, it is covered with dust. I think alot of it might be pollen. Would it be safe to use a CA Duster, if used very carefully? Would a leaf blower be safer? Any suggestions or ideas?

rider9195
02-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I would stay away from the Duster. I would rather do a Rinsless Wash with either Optimum No Rinse, DP Rinseless, Blackfire Rinseless Wash. Only use 2 gallons of water and don't risk marring your paint.

tuscarora dave
02-04-2012, 10:37 AM
If I were having a dust/pollen issue like yours, first I'd wash it then use a paint cleaner to rid the paint of any wax then I'd apply a polymer sealant.

Waxes tend to allow pollen and dust to stick to the paint rather than to be easily rinsed off like with a polymer sealant. I'd suggest rinsing rather than dragging something across the paint to rid it of dust. Rinse with pressure and then use a quick detailer as an aide to drying with a soft "quality" microfiber drying towel.

BWG707
02-04-2012, 10:57 AM
What about just pressure rinsing with water and drying with a leaf blower? Would that be safe?

tuscarora dave
02-04-2012, 11:33 AM
What about just pressure rinsing with water and drying with a leaf blower? Would that be safe?
That's actually the safest method provided that the dust/pollen isn't stuck or bonded to whatever LSP you have on the paint.

In my experience with leaf blowers there will still remain some small water spotting that I want to wipe off the paint with a towel and if there is dust/pollen bonded to the existing LSP that's a recipe for an eventual nasty looking finish. Some are more obsessive than others. I'm thinking/speaking like the obsessive detailer.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Don't use any duster. I would not just pressure wash and rinse. The car will still have dirt on it and will spot for sure! Your best bet would be to use a rinseless wash, or wait until you do a traditional wash again.

Rsurfer
02-04-2012, 02:00 PM
:iagree:Mark..the OP did not say what color. If it's white, silver or a light color, I would agree on the rinseless wash, but if it's a dark color (black) just live with the dust and do a traditional wash.
Don't use any duster. I would not just pressure wash and rinse. The car will still have dirt on it and will spot for sure! Your best bet would be to use a rinseless wash, or wait until you do a traditional wash again.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
:iagree:Mark..the OP did not say what color. If it's white, silver or a light color, I would agree on the rinseless wash, but if it's a dark color (black) just live with the dust and do a traditional wash.
EXACTLYYYYY, Ron!!!!! Perfect answer!!

tuscarora dave
02-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I agree with Mark and Ron on this if the car is anything more than just slightly dusty and has been driven.

very next day even if I don't drive it
My advice would be in this case, I should have been more clear.

glen e
02-04-2012, 02:20 PM
If I were having a dust/pollen issue like yours, first I'd wash it then use a paint cleaner to rid the paint of any wax then I'd apply a polymer sealant.

Waxes tend to allow pollen and dust to stick to the paint rather than to be easily rinsed off like with a polymer sealant. I'd suggest rinsing rather than dragging something across the paint to rid it of dust. Rinse with pressure and then use a quick detailer as an aide to drying with a soft "quality" microfiber drying towel.

I agree - I live in a neighborhood with a lot of new construction so we have a lot of dust on our cars. Before I discovered sealants, I used a cleaner wax and always had a good amount of dust on the car. I still get dust, but much, much less after switching to UPGP. It seems to fly off at the first time the car is driven.

Wheelzntoys
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
How about BF waterless spray?

That what I use and then a spritz of QD to up the shine.

opie_7afe
02-04-2012, 02:30 PM
if its just pollen or dust in the air and car is nice and waxed usually i just do a rinse as when its waxed i noticed the water will encapsulate the dirt and let it slide off with the water, even easier with pollen as pollen floats on water. just rinse and dry off with a soft clean towel, could spray some quick detailer on there to give more lubricity when your drying the car off. waterless washes work great for the dust and pollen that settles overnight.to tell if its pollen or dirt swipe your finger on the glass if its yellow/green its pollen if its another color its dust/dirt.alot of people around here will have like 1/8inch layer of pollen on their cars, im always thinking to my self is it that hard to rinse your car off atleast?! then again most people here a car is an appliance and they could careless how it looks.i just want to put notes on people with black cars" if you cant clean your car often dont get black paint, black is not just a color its a career!"

BWG707
02-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Sorry I forgot to add it is a pearl white car. The pollen isn't excessive and so far I not noticed any sap at all, just some pollen specks and dust. I live in a housing track, just residentual houses and streets. Again thanks for the replys.

Rsurfer
02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Ultima Waterless wash will work well for you.
Sorry I forgot to add it is a pearl white car. The pollen isn't excessive and so far I not noticed any sap at all, just some pollen specks and dust. I live in a housing track, just residentual houses and streets. Again thanks for the replys.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Ultima Waterless wash will work well for you.
:iagree: With a light color, yes!