PDA

View Full Version : What to apply on a Jeep Wrangler hardtop?

Pages : [1] 2 3

J1nx93
02-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been active on the forums but I had a question. I'm getting a Jeep Wrangler in June and it's a hard top. I've seen some of them driving around with faded tops and wanted to prevent this. What would be the best product for the job? UTTG or 303 or another? Give me your opinions please. Thanks!

tuscarora dave
02-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Upon seeing the title of your thread, UTTG popped into my mind immediately.

J1nx93
02-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Yeah I highly considered it because of the durability. The top is pretty big so I wanted something that would last

tuscarora dave
02-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Yeah I highly considered it because of the durability. The top is pretty big so I wanted something that would last

Opti-Coat 2.0 no doubt would work well too and definitely last longer.

J1nx93
02-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Opti-Coat 2.0 no doubt would work well too and definitely last longer.

True, but it's a bit pricey for just the hardtop. I already have UTTG too. What prep would work good? Just an aio?

Porsche Pilot
02-04-2012, 09:23 AM
I have a 2007 Wrangler 4dr hard top. UTTG is a great choice.

J1nx93
02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I have a 2007 Wrangler 4dr hard top. UTTG is a great choice.

Is that what you personally use? Btw, are you going to detail fest again this year?

tuscarora dave
02-04-2012, 09:58 AM
True, but it's a bit pricey for just the hardtop. I already have UTTG too. What prep would work good? Just an aio?
What's the top made of/coated with? I am imagining a plastic textured type of finish..?.
If applying a sealant like UTTG I'd want clean and free of any polymers/waxes to apply the UTTG to.

J1nx93
02-04-2012, 11:30 AM
What's the top made of/coated with? I am imagining a plastic textured type of finish..?.
If applying a sealant like UTTG I'd want clean and free of any polymers/waxes to apply the UTTG to.
Yeah, it's a type of textured plastic.

tuscarora dave
02-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Yeah, it's a type of textured plastic.
You mention the use of an AIO. Personally I'd keep any type of polish away from that material and stick only with clear products such as APCs and clear sealants.

J1nx93
02-04-2012, 11:51 AM
You mention the use of an AIO. Personally I'd keep any type of polish away from that material and stick only with clear products such as APCs and clear sealants.
Woops that was a typo. I meant an APC before applying UTTG

tuscarora dave
02-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Woops that was a typo. I meant an APC before applying UTTG
:nomore: :poke::bash::argue::joking::dblthumb2:

J1nx93
02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
:nomore: :poke::bash::argue::joking::dblthumb2:
LOL I haven't been on the forums in a long time! I've been busy and haven't been into detailing like I had been. I made my truck in top condition and just maintain it now. The Jeep will need a full correction and a lot of maintenance where it's black. I have all the tools and equipment ready for that though. And now that AG has CG products, I'll be purchasing more goods!

Porsche Pilot
02-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Is that what you personally use? Btw, are you going to detail fest again this year?

UTTG is what I use and it's worked pretty good. The failure point on my Wrangler is the plastic fenders and bumpers. The whole darn truck is a big plastic Lego. I have treated the plastics since new with every protection product I could try. It lives outside 24/7 and the fenders and bumpers have all faded and tiger striped. I just recently applied some Black Again and it has really worked great. The trim is almost as dark as new. You guys with Avalanches should try that stuff.

I will definitely be at DF this year. Are you guys making that drive again?

J1nx93
02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
UTTG is what I use and it's worked pretty good. The failure point on my Wrangler is the plastic fenders and bumpers. The whole darn truck is a big plastic Lego. I have treated the plastics since new with every protection product I could try. It lives outside 24/7 and the fenders and bumpers have all faded and tiger striped. I just recently applied some Black Again and it has really worked great. The trim is almost as dark as new. You guys with Avalanches should try that stuff.

I will definitely be at DF this year. Are you guys making that drive again?
Good to know UTTG will work. For the fenders I'm going to buy some C4 for it.

I don't think I'm going to make it this year. With this being my senior year, I have a lot going on and can't spare the cash. I'd like to go again though.