PDA

View Full Version : Headlight restore application method idea

websdown
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Has anyone used a air brush or spray bottle to apply the Spar/Mineral Spirits solution. To get around the lens nubs and apply a more even and faster application. Or is the towel/wiping method the best?

mpm
02-03-2012, 11:05 AM
No overspray to deal with using the towel/wiping method.

websdown
02-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Just made a run to the hardware store was going to get the Spar but figured i mite look for the NEW Meguiar's Headlight Protectant. Found some at Auto Zone went home gave it a try made them clearer than they were after the 3M restore kit job. It does say on the bottle to use regulary to maintain appearance. Not to big of a problem its a quick wipe on/dry/ and buff off. And if it doesnt work i will just mineral spirit clean it and Spar come summer when its warmer out. Also seen they have a Clear Gloss Minwax Spar spray.Would that work without the Spirits?

opie_7afe
02-03-2012, 12:48 PM
no just use the SPAR its a certain type of urethane that has uv blocking agents and is way different then interior type of urethane. just go with what the thread says or dont even bother, im sure he tried other stuff before, if you dont want to use spar then just use clearcoat just know it can flake off and loose adhesion if its cheap rattle can clear, honestly would need to buy some 2k catalyzed clear for it to last a while.

websdown
02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
The Minwax Spar spray was the same color can and lableing as the brush on that everyone is using. And it does have the UV.

feslope
02-03-2012, 02:15 PM
The Minwax Spar spray was the same color can and lableing as the brush on that everyone is using. And it does have the UV.I have used the spray can and it works great if you can deal with masking and the overspray. If I am inside or there is no wind I mask with "Road Wrap" and trim the light out with a razor knife.

oldmodman
02-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Yes. I tried using a little airbrush to apply it. ONCE!

Made a mess even with my tiniest airbrush. I went right back to the blue disposable towel method and never looked back. Takes about one minute to wipe down a single headlight, then I can just throw out the towel. Nothing to have to clean up.

And regarding waste. I bought two Quarts of the varnish, transferred it to 1/2 pint cans so only a little would be exposed to the air at a time. And I am still on my first 1/2 pint. I think the 2 quarts will last years and years. So little is mixed with mineral spirits for each application I can't imagine being able to use less.