PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone applied UTTG via hvpl paint gun?

Pages : [1] 2

Rav777
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Just wondering how well this works compared to actually applying it with an applicator sponge, and if it might save more product in the long run.

Dr Oldz
02-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I haven't used a quarter of my bottle yet and have applied appx 20 applications. How much more are you looking to save than that?

Twister
02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I think you might waste the product. I think the gun will use more and cause a thicker coat on the surface.

toycar18
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
:iagree:
I think you might waste the product. I think the gun will use more and cause a thicker coat on the surface.

Rav777
02-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I have taken a bottle pretty far but I think I might of met my match. I have never had to apply more than one coat. So far I have used 1/4 on this Chevy Avalanche alone. The plastic was very bad, thats why I was looking for alternatives. Let me upload some pictures real quick. It might just need aother coat or two.

Rav777
02-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Here is a 50/50 shot I took. Went over it back and for a couple of times. You can see how its a bit light in some areas. I will go over it one more time and see what happens.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n519/MikeHunt7771/UTTG.jpg

Dr Oldz
02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I see what you mean now. You need something that actually restores more that just protects. UTTG doesn't do a great job at restoring IMO.

Check this out as it may be a product that suits your needs and is a little more affordable.

Inital Thoughts: Sonus Tire & Bumper Dressing Gel - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/38381-inital-thoughts-sonus-tire-bumper-dressing-gel.html)

Rav777
02-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Thank you Jim! This might be a better option for me. This is a very good client and he is not a big fan of any dressing that drips so I figured UTTG.

The good thing is I got 4 bottles on the last AG sale but man using 1/4 just for the back plastic, I think some of my tears fell on the plastic lol.

I did a whole coat over the back I wonder what would happen if I topped the existing UTTG with Sonus?

Dr Oldz
02-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Thank you Jim! This might be a better option for me. This is a very good client and he is not a big fan of any dressing that drips so I figured UTTG.

The good thing is I got 4 bottles on the last AG sale but man using 1/4 just for the back plastic, I think some of my tears fell on the plastic lol.

I did a whole coat over the back I wonder what would happen if I topped the existing UTTG with Sonus?

I would think you would want to put the Sonus first so it can soak in and darken the plastic, but who knows what would happen?

Kristopher1129
02-03-2012, 12:05 AM
I don't think you'd save with spraying it.

It's the same concept as using the Optima spray gun for tire shine. I have the Optima spray gun, and I used it for probably 6 months.

I had a really tough time trying to compare and see if I was actually saving product.

After a while...I came to the conclusion that all the product floating around, and not landing on the tire...was basically wasted.

So, maybe in theory...a trigger pull with a spray gun uses less product than a drop of product on your applicator. But, IMO you will go through the same, if not more product trying to compensate for the excess floating around and missing the target.

Just my experience. :xyxthumbs:

eaglefan
02-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Rav 777, Shoot me a pm and I can help you with the Avalanche. I own one and have restored a few including mine. After trial and error i have it figured out product wise

Rav777
02-03-2012, 12:35 AM
I don't think you'd save with spraying it.

It's the same concept as using the Optima spray gun for tire shine. I have the Optima spray gun, and I used it for probably 6 months.

I had a really tough time trying to compare and see if I was actually saving product.

After a while...I came to the conclusion that all the product floating around, and not landing on the tire...was basically wasted.

So, maybe in theory...a trigger pull with a spray gun uses less product than a drop of product on your applicator. But, IMO you will go through the same, if not more product trying to compensate for the excess floating around and missing the target.

Just my experience. :xyxthumbs:

I can see how that would happen as well. I was going to pick up the Optimum spray gun that AG sells but not sure if a strong wind will mess with the spray pattern and waste more product. Seems like you have the higher end guns and still cant get a small enough spray pattern. Were you using opti-bond with that spray gun?

Rav 777, Shoot me a pm and I can help you with the Avalanche. I own one and have restored a few including mine. After trial and error i have it figured out product wise

PM sent thanks

I would think you would want to put the Sonus first so it can soak in and darken the plastic, but who knows what would happen?

I just pictured an A-bomb going off in my head lol. I guess I can give it a try. Going to try one more coat and see if it's easier to apply now that there is something on it. Thanks for the info and the link, Sonus products really do go unnoticed by many.

Dr Oldz
02-03-2012, 12:43 AM
For the ultimate fix, you can use C4. Search it and perhaps this customer is worth or willing to pay for it. After thought but I figured I would mention it.

opie_7afe
02-03-2012, 01:27 AM
imo an airbrush would work better if your trying to do smaller trim and tires, a small detail hvlp would work better for stuff with a lot of trim like avalanches and elements, also for wheel wells. if you do use an airbrush make sure it has multiple adjustments and ability to change out needles, larger the needle tip the thicker the product it can spray. definitely keep us updated dr.olds on the sonus. looking into a really good trim product other then meguiars ultimate protectant, going with sonus or UTTG. then i'm thinking what if i polycharged the megs ultimate protectant if it would give me better longevity.

Setec Astronomy
02-03-2012, 07:35 AM
I see what you mean now. You need something that actually restores more that just protects. UTTG doesn't do a great job at restoring IMO.

Check this out as it may be a product that suits your needs and is a little more affordable.

Inital Thoughts: Sonus Tire & Bumper Dressing Gel - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/38381-inital-thoughts-sonus-tire-bumper-dressing-gel.html)

In your review you state that the mfr. website states that this product is Polycharged...which I finally did find at the PFC website. I find it odd that there is no mention of this in the AG or ACC stores, nor on the bottle in the pictures at those stores.