PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Pages : [1] 2

Newdetailer1
02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
This is my first post everyone so hello and thanks for this informative forum. I'm not new to detailing, but am still new to the buffers... I've been using the PC74xp for about 2yrs now. The pads that I use are the LC's with the cuts in them. The polish has been nothing but menzerna. I hear a lot about megs, but I've got very comfortable with their product line. The polishes that I've been using are the SIP, SF, and the powerlock. The basic stuff for clay bars I've been using megs stuff, but just purchased some (blue) clay magic bars to try. I can already tell that theey are softer than the megs.

So far these polishes have been able to do what I need them to. So based on the polishes listed my strongest combo is the SIP and a yellow pad. The color pads I have are red, green, white, orange and yellow (all in 5.5").

Not to long ago I was working on a car that was just wet sanded and the strongest thing I had didn't make a dent which I guess I could expect... Plus the PC didn't have the power to keep up.

Which brings me to the questions at hand. Based on that experience I went ahead and purchased the flex 3104. Along with this buffer I ordered all the colors previously listed in 6.5", the smaller backing plate so I could stikll use my 5.5's and some menzerna PG.

My questions are what kind of difference in cut/results will I see using the flex vs the PC. Meaning if I take the SIP on an orange pad and put it on the flex and do the same with the PC how different will the results be? Second is there a time where the 5.5's are better to use vs the 6.5's? If I'm working on a large vehicle does it just make more sence to use the 6.5's or is it just personal preference? Is it better to use the 5'5's on a car that needs a lot more attention??

Lastly I've never used the PG before and I hear its pretty agressive so I know for the most part it will require a follow up with the SF. Whats the ideal RPM on the flex the run the PG at?

Sorry for all the questions....

Flash Gordon
02-02-2012, 07:16 PM
You asked to many questions http://www.autopia.org/forum/images/smilies2/nerd.gif

mjlinane
02-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Before you go that far, try Surbuf pads with M105 on the PC. You can take it up to 5-6 and correct pretty well. (You will need to refine after with something like Menz 106 on black or white.) They are pretty inexpensive.

If that doesn't do you, then try a beefier machine.

Setec Astronomy
02-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Ok, if you have a 3401, it's not RPM, it's still orbits. I always use 6.5" pads on mine, I think the preference for 5.5 is really for the non-forced DA machines. So unless you have some sort of clearance issue, I'd stay with the 6.5; others may think differently.

Basically the 3401 will do the work you've been getting done with the PC, at a lower setting. Which means if you run the Flex at 6 you will do more work. Just be aware that due to the forced rotation the machine will try to walk on you in certain situations.

PG will definitely require a refining step after, I would say SIP, rather than the SF. You'll like the Flex, the trigger is really nice if you are doing this every day.

Setec Astronomy
02-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Before you go that far, try Surbuf pads with M105 on the PC. You can take it up to 5-6 and correct pretty well. (You will need to refine after with something like Menz 106 on black or white.) They are pretty inexpensive.

If that doesn't do you, then try a beefier machine.

He said he already bought the machine and pads, man.

mjlinane
02-02-2012, 07:28 PM
He said he already bought the machine and pads, man.

Missed the part about the Flex but still think he'll need Surbufs.

Newdetailer1
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Again sorry for the the questions... Thanks for the quick responses for those who did. I'm pot committed so to speak with the menzerna, flex and LC pads. Not that I wouldn't try anything else its just that I already have a good bit of this stuff.

mjlinane
02-02-2012, 07:38 PM
BTW - Welcome to AGO!

Rsurfer
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Surbuf's and a rotary work.
Missed the part about the Flex but still think he'll need Surbufs.

Rsurfer
02-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Did he not say he bought a 3104?
Ok, if you have a 3401, it's not RPM, it's still orbits. I always use 6.5" pads on mine, I think the preference for 5.5 is really for the non-forced DA machines. So unless you have some sort of clearance issue, I'd stay with the 6.5; others may think differently.

Basically the 3401 will do the work you've been getting done with the PC, at a lower setting. Which means if you run the Flex at 6 you will do more work. Just be aware that due to the forced rotation the machine will try to walk on you in certain situations.

PG will definitely require a refining step after, I would say SIP, rather than the SF. You'll like the Flex, the trigger is really nice if you are doing this every day.

Setec Astronomy
02-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Did he not say he bought a 3104?

Yeah, he did. What's a 3104? I presumed it's a typo and he meant 3401, because I've never heard of a 3104.

Rsurfer
02-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Guess he meant 3401.

Newdetailer1
02-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Guess he meant 3401.

Yeah, he did. What's a 3104? I presumed it's a typo and he meant 3401, because I've never heard of a 3104.

Damn fat fingers.... Your correct.

Flash Gordon
02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Damn fat fingers

You should change your UN to Sausage Fingers http://www.autopia.org/forum/images/smilies2/heh.gif

Rsurfer
02-02-2012, 08:41 PM
You are too much Flash Im the MAN
You asked to many questions http://www.autopia.org/forum/images/smilies2/nerd.gif

You should change your UN to Sausage Fingers http://www.autopia.org/forum/images/smilies2/heh.gif