PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Protocol?

Stang Man
02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Sorry for the novel here guys!

Some background- straight out of college, while I was looking for work, I detailed cars with a buddy. We ran the same setup for just about every car- wash, clay, Tropi-Care TC-8 swirl remover (now Showroom FX), and a coat of Zaino on the outside. We also did the basic interior vacuum, wipedown with an APC, leather treatment, etc. For really bad paint, we'd use Menzerna IP before the TC-8.

I always threw in a glass scrub and Rain-X on all windows as well.

We had it EASY- my buddy knew the right people, with the high dollar cars, and the money. We detailed Supras, Vipers, Corvettes, a few Mercedes', etc. Our biggest break was detailing cars for a local performance shop that produced a lot of magazine cars, so we spent a good deal of time out there. We would charge from $350-$450 for these details, which included a good deal of paint correction. For those that we performed upkeep, we'd skip the clay and swirl remover and just detail with another coat of Zaino for a much cheaper price.

Well, here I am 4 years later, and I'm getting back into it again, albeit solo this time. I have acquired more products and a broader skillset. I'm working on my prices, and don't have any clue where to start. I have a full time job, so this will be a 1 car per weekend kinda deal, if that! All my details so far are traveling to the customer's home, but I won't rule out them dropping it off at my house.

Here are my ideas, please feel free to comment! I'm not naming them "Stage 1" etc, this is just for example :xyxthumbs:

Stage 1-
This is for "First timers", cars I haven't touched before, and which I deem to be a daily driver- people who just want a clean and shiny car.
Dawn wash followed by clay for the entire car. I'll go with an AIO to get my time down- I'll be using PoliSeal. I'll do the interiors as I did before- vacuum, APC, and PERL, and finish it off with tire shine- likely PERL, and ensure the glass is clean and not streaked.

Price- I was thinking anywhere from $100-$150

Stage 2-
This would be for the real enthusiasts- the people who love their cars, and want a [near] flawless finish. Everything would be the same as Stage 1, but I would skip the AIO and go straight into paint correction. For LSP, I'd let them choose between a wax or sealant, after explaining the pros/cons of each.

Price- $250+, depending on the amount of correction needed? It is so hard to "quote" on paint you've never seen, and I hate just throwing out a range like $250-350, because everyone will think their paint "isn't that bad!".

Those are the main packages I'd offer. I would try to price upkeep wash $ detail at $50, with a coat of LSP for an additional $25.

What is a typical upcharge for doing an SUV/Truck?

Do you think people would pay $10 per car for the Rain-X treatment? I use it on my vehicles, and the differences are noticeable. Or, should I do like before, and do it with every detail and just have it factored into the price?

Whats a fair price for leather treatment?

Does it make sense to offer a "topper"? If so, would an additional $25 be far fetched?

For those that detail motorcycles, whats your going rate? I have a few bikes to showcase my work and know a lot of people that ride, and this is really an untapped market.

Sorry for all of the questsions guys, I'm trying to hammer out some prices while I wait for the rest of my supplies to come in! :dblthumb2:

TL;DR- I used to charge a bunch for my work 4 years ago, but the market has changed, and I won't be able to pick up the same customers I had. I'm essentially lowering my prices to attract new business, how do my new prices sound?

Gurge
02-02-2012, 04:46 PM
lot of questions there...

if you check my site, you'll see my pricing structure. will answer some of your questions

concerning rain-x as an upsell, i'd either just put wax on the windows included with the detail (which I often do) OR consider buying Aquapel in some sort of bulk. It's better than rain-x in my opinion and can be sold as an a la carte item. say $15 per application (or more depending on where you are) There is also good marketing in place on the net to support that aquapel is legit.

I dont offer aquapel currently but I know other detailers that do and yes they're able to sell the service enough times to keep offering it

Edit: I'm also working a full time job, and doing weekends only. Strictly mobile work.

Stang Man
02-02-2012, 05:00 PM
lot of questions there...

if you check my site, you'll see my pricing structure. will answer some of your questions

concerning rain-x as an upsell, i'd either just put wax on the windows included with the detail (which I often do) OR consider buying Aquapel in some sort of bulk. It's better than rain-x in my opinion and can be sold as an a la carte item. say $15 per application (or more depending on where you are) There is also good marketing in place on the net to support that aquapel is legit.

I dont offer aquapel currently but I know other detailers that do and yes they're able to sell the service enough times to keep offering it

Edit: I'm also working a full time job, and doing weekends only. Strictly mobile work.

Great info! I like how you've got your pricing broken down. I'll run through the numbers- it looks like adding a spray wax will be easier than an AIO, allowing me to perform a detail even quicker, for those that just want a shiny car :xyxthumbs: Now...to find a good Spray Wax...time to research I guess!

Gurge
02-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I use the megs spray wax in the detailer line which is available by the gallon. it's essentially the same as the ultimate quik wax with a different scent. only good for a couple weeks though at best

if you're taking the time to clay (and someone is therefore paying you extra to do so) you should lay down a dedicated LSP in my opinion. collinite 845 is cheap, easy to use, durable, looks great, and a little goes a long way. an AIO would be a step up because for a neglected finish it'll do more than either spray wax or an LSP with no cleaners.

hopefully someone else chimes in here regarding the pricing structure. you should just look at everyone's signature on the forums. Most guys (like myself) if they have a page it's in the sig and you can check out the pricing structure

Stang Man
02-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I use the megs spray wax in the detailer line which is available by the gallon. it's essentially the same as the ultimate quik wax with a different scent. only good for a couple weeks though at best

if you're taking the time to clay (and someone is therefore paying you extra to do so) you should lay down a dedicated LSP in my opinion. collinite 845 is cheap, easy to use, durable, looks great, and a little goes a long way. an AIO would be a step up because for a neglected finish it'll do more than either spray wax or an LSP with no cleaners.

hopefully someone else chimes in here regarding the pricing structure. you should just look at everyone's signature on the forums. Most guys (like myself) if they have a page it's in the sig and you can check out the pricing structure

I actually picked up a bottle of Meg's spray wax last night- it has great reviews so I'd like to try it on my daily driver Jeep, as well as my girlfriend's neglected Accord- give it a thorough test. I just like how you finish the most basic wash with the spray wax, since most people want a simple and effective shine, and don't know much about longevity.

If I claybar a vehicle, an AIO and/or LSP will be mandatory. There is no sense getting the surface so well prepped, to just finish it off with a wax that won't last. Add in the DA with an application pad and an LSP doesn't take much longer than a spray wax.

Also noted on the Collinite 845- I stumbled upon this gem AFTER I sent in my order....looks like I'll need another order then :dblthumb2:

ryanbabz71
02-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Aquapel>rainx

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stang Man
02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Aquapel>rainx

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation- after reading up on it, it looks like a very solid product. I'll need to grab a few, and try them out :dblthumb2:

How much "glass" is one applicator good for? One windshield obviously, but would there be enough to do the rest of the glass on the same vehicle, as well?

FlawlessJ
02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the recommendation- after reading up on it, it looks like a very solid product. I'll need to grab a few, and try them out :dblthumb2:

How much "glass" is one applicator good for? One windshield obviously, but would there be enough to do the rest of the glass on the same vehicle, as well?

with one applicator of aquapel I did all of my exterior glass. My car is a 2006 Subaru WRX so not a lot of glass but your typical amount.

Stang Man
02-06-2012, 01:19 PM
with one applicator of aquapel I did all of my exterior glass. My car is a 2006 Subaru WRX so not a lot of glass but your typical amount.

Thats good to hear- relatively cheap all things considered, and if you can charge $15 for such a treatment, its quick money.

monito
02-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Can you show your flyer, easier to criticize...

p@

Stang Man
02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Can you show your flyer, easier to criticize...

p@

I haven't put one together yet- the only jobs I have done were from referrals and word of mouth.

:xyxthumbs: