PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond

Pages : [1] 2

mrbh22
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
well I, as most people on here spend hours upon hours searching for the correct steps in detailing my car. I do NOT have much experience "detailing" cars but I feel like I know the basics. Don't get me wrong I am an avid personal car "cleaner" some of my friends call me a "detailer" but after seeing what can be done to a cars paint job on here I am more of a good car cleaner.

I recently purchased a 2012 Cadillac Cts V in Black Diamond. I have always had the urge to buy a DA and be able to polish my own car and keep it as clean as possible. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a PC 7424 and some products on the AG store.

Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam shipped

6 QTY Mango Breeze Microfiber Towels shipped

2 QTY Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo 16 oz

2 Qty 16 oz. BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistan shipped

- 2 QTY Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Seala

The Grit Guard Insert - 2 Pack

1 - Green Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt

- 128 oz. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

- 8 oz. Chemical Guys Pete's 53' Pearl Sign

2 samples of liquid soverign FREE from AGO

- Cobra Microfiber Super Kit

- 64 oz. Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray

- DP Wheel Special

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p183/mrbh22/2012-01-29_15-09-05_196.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p183/mrbh22/2012-01-20_07-39-32_397.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p183/mrbh22/2012-01-30_12-57-45_373.jpg

Now i spent a good part of my day off cleaning the car well. all the way to taking off the wheels and cleaning the barrels and the wheel wells, and the yellow brembo calipers. I have
washed
dried
cleaned wheels
cleaned windows
clayed the entire car

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p183/mrbh22/2012-02-01_16-01-43_81.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p183/mrbh22/2012-02-01_16-42-09_568.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p183/mrbh22/2012-02-02_11-03-32_269.jpg

Now I am at a stand still. I'm not sure what to do next? should i use the petes 53 wax then the WG Spritz Sealant? or vice versa? or does anyone have any other ideas for me?

thanks in advance AGO! the pics are cell phone pics. i will have the SLR out after I wax to get a good PIC or seven

TLMitchell
02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Going to do under the hood? Good to get that out of the way before doing the exterior because you're bound to get stuff on the finish if you need to spray under the hood.

I see sealant, waxes, washing supplies pads and a PC on your list... no mention of clay, swirl removers or polish that I see. Are you going to polish or at least use a paint cleanser before the LSP? Regardless of what wax or sealant you use it's the finish prep that makes for the end result. That is what the PC is for, after all. Even if you have a perfectly swirl free finish (doubtful) a finish polish or paintwork cleanser is the very least I'd do before LSP. YMMV.

TL

EDIT: - OK, I see the Finishing Polish in the pic now... I'd advise claying then look over the finish in the sun or under inspection lighting. Find the worst marring or swirls and use that area for a test spot. I prefer a hood or trunk. If the swirls or marring is extremely mild try the polish with the blue finishing pad. If you don't like the result move up to the white pad then the orange. Once you get the result you want do the rest of the car... if you aren't getting what you want with the finishing polish a move up to a dedicated swirl remover may be in order. Depends on what you're satisfied with. Perhaps a wash before wax or sealant to remove polishing oils and dusting. You may also want to pick up some painter's tape to mask off trim before getting your baptism of fire with the PC.

mrbh22
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Going to do under the hood? Good to get that out of the way before doing the exterior because you're bound to get stuff on the finish if you need to spray under the hood.

I see sealant, waxes, washing supplies pads and a PC on your list... no mention of clay, swirl removers or polish that I see. Are you going to polish or at least use a paint cleanser before the LSP? Regardless of what wax or sealant you use it's the finish prep that makes for the end result. That is what the PC is for, after all. Even if you have a perfectly swirl free finish (doubtful) a finish polish or paintwork cleanser is the very least I'd do before LSP. YMMV.

TL

under the hood is still like new. i wiped it all down and its still clean from the factory. the car is only 2 months post production. MFG date 12/2011 :)

i have Meg's clay.and the whole car was clayed. And Blackfire scratch resistant clear Finishing Polish (which i have not used) i just pulled it out into the sun and it looks fantastic. But i know I Want to try out the CG Petes 53 on it before it gets dark.

TLMitchell
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
i have Meg's clay.and the whole car was clayed. And Blackfire scratch resistant clear Finishing Polish (which i have not used) i just pulled it out into the sun and it looks fantastic. But i know I Want to try out the CG Petes 53 on it before it gets dark.

I was editing and adding to my original post while you were replying. If you're dying to try the Pete's 53 try a test spot for a look-see. Personally, I'd at least do a test spot and perhaps a panel with the finishing polish. Personally, I don't wax or seal without at least using a paintwork cleanser or finishing polish to amp up the shine.

TL

rcomito
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
That's a Great car. Enjoy it.

Rick

mrbh22
02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
I was editing and adding to my original post while you were replying. If you're dying to try the Pete's 53 try a test spot for a look-see. Personally, I'd at least do a test spot and perhaps a panel with the finishing polish. Personally, I don't wax or seal without at least using a paintwork cleanser or finishing polish to amp up the shine.

TL

That's a Great car. Enjoy it.

Rick

Rick I WILL and DO!! :)

the Finishing polish seems a bit "gritty" and i can not see any swirls in the paint with it in the sun. and I'm not going to lie. I am a little bit nervous using something that feels like it has some grit to polish the paint on my new $73K car. call me a sissy but I would hate to mess it up! :)

sunburn
02-02-2012, 01:57 PM
dude! I love the car!

great job on the detail :)

sgvevo9mr
02-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Use a finishing polish before pete's. That car is a monster by the way, congrats!!

rider9195
02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
At the very least use the BF Finishing Polish w/ the white pad on speed 4. Just to get some more gloss. I am pretty sure the clear coat on your Cadillac is very hard just like the Corvettes.

eaglefan
02-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Fantastic car! American class meets american muscle. That is a serious machine. If i was buying a luxury car, the caddy is the 1 for me. Please let us know what you think about Pete's 53! Did you take the 2 door caddy for a test drive?

Stang Man
02-02-2012, 04:40 PM
At the very least use the BF Finishing Polish w/ the white pad on speed 4. Just to get some more gloss. I am pretty sure the clear coat on your Cadillac is very hard just like the Corvettes.

This. You'll notice the depth and gloss when you amp up that shine- don't be scared!

(Feel free to try on another vehicle first for practice!)

FUNX650
02-02-2012, 07:23 PM

This. You'll notice the depth and gloss when you amp up that shine- don't be scared!

(Feel free to try on another vehicle first for practice!)

^^^^Great advice^^^^:props:

TL

EDIT: - OK, I see the Finishing Polish in the pic now... I'd advise claying then look over the finish in the sun or under inspection lighting. Find the worst marring or swirls and use that area for a test spot. I prefer a hood or trunk. If the swirls or marring is extremely mild try the polish with the blue finishing pad. If you don't like the result move up to the white pad then the orange. Once you get the result you want do the rest of the car... if you aren't getting what you want with the finishing polish a move up to a dedicated swirl remover may be in order. Depends on what you're satisfied with. Perhaps a wash before wax or sealant to remove polishing oils and dusting. You may also want to pick up some painter's tape to mask off trim before getting your baptism of fire with the PC.

TL

@OP:

My advice is to also follow TL's advice!...To the letter, if you will.

BTW:
Very Nice Vehicle...Enjoy it to the MAX!!!

:)

Bob

ShaunD
02-02-2012, 07:38 PM
@mrbh22, so at this point I assume you at least got some wax on the car, or did you try out some polish then wax?

TLMitchell
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
...the Finishing polish seems a bit "gritty" and i can not see any swirls in the paint with it in the sun. and I'm not going to lie. I am a little bit nervous using something that feels like it has some grit to polish the paint on my new $73K car. call me a sissy but I would hate to mess it up! :)

If you insist.... SISSY! ;)

You're not the first to buy a polisher and have apprehension about using it, especially on a new car. Lots better than a beginning post that says "I bought a rotary and used wool and 3M Fast Cut on my glossy soft paint and now I see primer". Erring on the side of caution isn't such a bad thing.

However, you have spent money sitting in a box and unrealized potential sitting in your garage. Only you can say what you're satisfied with. One of these days you're going to have marring and swirls to deal with. IMO, I'd rather start to learn polishing with a finishing polish and pad and lower speeds with light to no pressure than start out using compound and heavy pressure trying to remove defects, which are only a matter of time. Since it appears you've been deprived of the Dealer Installed Swirl Option throw some wax or sealant on and call it done.

You might want to volunteer to polish a relative/neighbor/coworker's car that isn't as new and expensive... perhaps even a beater. The finishing polish may be woefully inadequate for premium results but at least you'll get a feel for the machine.

BTW, what is that Blackfire Scratch Resistant product you bought? Finishing polish or compound?

TL

oneill24
02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
I find it hard to believe that there isnt anything wrong with the paint, theres gotta be something. Here is an example of another cts-v that someone detailed http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/139148-cts-v-full-color-sand-correction.html thought you might like it as it is one of my favorite details. Also great choice of cars, normally I dont like GM but I've seen one of these in person and it is an absolutely beautiful vehicle.