PDA

View Full Version : What to add to my compound/polish arsenal?

Hoytman
02-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I would like to add some other highly used products here at AG...i.e., Wolfgang, Menzerna, Meguiar's, Blackfire, Fourstar, Mothers, Pinnacle, Optimum, Chemical Guys, 3M, etc.

If you have any experience with any other products such as, HD UNO, Wizards, Presta, Malco, Gtechniq, and others, please include them in your comments.

I can't really buy much at this time, but I'm making plans to hopefully be able to order something soon.

I currently have...
Meg's D300/301
M105/M205
Meg's UC/UP
...all being used with Meg's foam and mf pads currently.

I need something for the harder Cadillac and Corvette paints, and something for large fiberglass boats.

jamores23
02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
menzerna po85rd is a must in my opinion. po106fa is also really good from menzerna. Get a wool pad either 3m double sided or megs solo cut wool pad which will be great help with tough clears.

mjlinane
02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I used Optimum HyperPolish for the first time Sunday. Absolutely loved using it - good cut, beautiful finish, easy wipe-off and no dust.

Can't wait to use the matching compound. Haven't used it and already have a half gallon (not necessarily intentionally).

glen e
02-01-2012, 11:39 PM
For fiberglass boats:
a rotary and wool pad
duragloss 561 compound and 501 polish
or
meguires 1 step compound

Oxidized gelcoat makeover (Pics) - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/396344-oxidized-gelcoat-makeover-pics.html)

WRAPT C5Z06
02-02-2012, 12:37 AM
I need something for the harder Cadillac and Corvette paints, and something for large fiberglass boats.
Bill,

Nothing will cut and finish better than M105, IMO.

Hoytman
02-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Bill,

Nothing will cut and finish better than M105, IMO.

Hi Mark!

How's it going man? Good to hear from you.

Well, I followed your advice along with the same advice from a few other guys and bought the M105 when I first bought some stuff. Good thing I listened huh? I'm hearing that M101 is even better, but it looks like it's only available overseas. Of course, a few here have had some shipped to the states. I'd like to get my hands on some of it too.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Hi Mark!

How's it going man? Good to hear from you.

Well, I followed your advice along with the same advice from a few other guys and bought the M105 when I first bought some stuff. Good thing I listened huh? I'm hearing that M101 is even better, but it looks like it's only available overseas. Of course, a few here have had some shipped to the states. I'd like to get my hands on some of it too.
Bill, I'm doing great! Thanks for asking! :dblthumb2:

I should have been more clear, there IS something that cuts and finishes better than M105, and that would be M101!! I was referring to something that's readily available.

Hoytman
02-02-2012, 01:08 AM
For fiberglass boats:
a rotary and wool pad
duragloss 561 compound and 501 polish
or
meguires 1 step compound

Oxidized gelcoat makeover (Pics) - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/396344-oxidized-gelcoat-makeover-pics.html)

Nice article Glen.

My dad has a 25' Baha Cruiser, '96 model. We were using a 3M Marine light cutting compound with wool getting fair results, but it seemed like there was a lot of drag on rotary. So, I grabbed the Meguiar's mild clay and clayed the boat. The clay made a drastic difference, in feel to the hand, and less drag on the rotary when I went back to compounding. Even got more shine after buffing. Even the places I compounded first benefited from claying and re-buffing. Give that a try sometime.

By the way, I've got my eye on the Duragloss products you mentioned.

(Going to start another thread on Gel-coat)

Hoytman
02-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Bill, I'm doing great! Thanks for asking! :dblthumb2:

I should have been more clear, there IS something that cuts and finishes better than M105, and that would be M101!! I was referring to something that's readily available.

Nope. You were perfectly clear the first time, and I understood you. I knew you were aware of M101. I just thought I'd mention it for other who may read.

Stay in touch man. Call me somtime...whenever you feel like it. I've still got your number on my cell. I'm still a nightowl too.