PDA

View Full Version : Grit Guard Gap

Pages : [1] 2

Detail_Dude
01-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Is it important that the grid guards sit flush at teh bottom of the buckets? My 5 gal buckets have varying diameters and the GGs float 4~6 inches high (off the bottom) on a couple of them.

Is the 'gap' between the GG and the bottom of the bucket 'okay', or is this counter-productive?

Stang Man
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Is it important that the grid guards sit flush at teh bottom of the buckets? My 5 gal buckets have varying diameters and the GGs float 4~6 inches high (off the bottom) on a couple of them.

Is the 'gap' between the GG and the bottom of the bucket 'okay', or is this counter-productive?

I think it'd be ok, except you will need more water and possibly more auto soap as a result.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
I would say it is okay to use still just have to push it down slowly to scrub it on the bottom don't go down to fast or you will make the dirt fly all over

You may also want to just put a few wraps of electrical tape or something around the diameter to make it a tad bigger so it stays put

TornadoRed
01-31-2012, 04:21 PM
My rinse bucket diameter is bigger than my GGs but they don't float. Put a fishing weight on 'em or something.

shoeless89
01-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Just buy regular sized 5 gallon buckets. Problem solved

Mustang81
01-31-2012, 04:47 PM
I have the same problem. I bought my buckets and grit guards from auto geek, and instead of the grit guard sitting at the bottom of the bucket it gets stuck before it can get there because of how the bucket narrows.

I don't think this is a problem. When you drag your wash medium against the grit guard the dirt will fall below it and the grit guard should keep it trapped there.

Detail_Dude
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
I have the same problem. I bought my buckets and grit guards from auto geek, and instead of the grit guard sitting at the bottom of the bucket it gets stuck before it can get there because of how the bucket narrows.

I don't think this is a problem. When you drag your wash medium against the grit guard the dirt will fall below it and the grit guard should keep it trapped there.

Exactly my problem. I think the water below the guard will swish around a bit when I agitate my mitt across the top of the grit guard.

Rsurfer
01-31-2012, 06:38 PM
They are not all the same diameter.

Just buy regular sized 5 gallon buckets. Problem solved

Rsurfer
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
I don't think you should scrub your wash media on the grit guard, as this will stir up the debris on the bottom. They do make a dirt dropper that is a grit guard that sits vertically in your bucket.

Exactly my problem. I think the water below the guard will swish around a bit when I agitate my mitt across the top of the grit guard.

jeepnxj3
01-31-2012, 06:48 PM

I feel some people are getting confused on what you mean here. Are you saying that they are wedged into place, just not all the way down? If that is the case, it may be even more beneficial as I know some people use 2 GGs per bucket to keep the contaminants further away from the wash media when rinsing.

Detail_Dude
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
I feel some people are getting confused on what you mean here. Are you saying that they are wedged into place, just not all the way down? If that is the case, it may be even more beneficial as I know some people use 2 GGs per bucket to keep the contaminants further away from the wash media when rinsing.

Yes, that is what I am saying. The GGs are wedged in, but far from the bottom. I hear what you are saying about 2 GGs, but that is when they actually touch bottom, enabling the vertical plastic pieces to prevent the water below them from swishing around.

Also, yes, I think its recommended to gently agitate the wash mitt on the top of the GG. In fact, I thought I recall seeing Mike Phillips do it in one of his videos. Am I mistaken?

armoredsaint
01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
this thing rocks, i have two of them - except that top tray is terrible, all the tabs broke off after 2 uses and you will need to glue the wheels because it keeps falling off.

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/GriotsGarage/67260_FAM?$detail$

tuscarora dave
01-31-2012, 10:44 PM
I think it would be a problem that takes away from the grit guard's design.

If you look at the underside of the grit guard you'll see that there are 4 solid plastic vanes that are designed to stop the swirling effect of the water, in essence keeping that grit contaminated water still. This prevents the grit from rising above the perforated top surface of the grit guard and out of your wash media. I'd think that if the grit guard isn't sitting on the bottom of the bucket, the water could be easily stirred up down there causing the gritty stuff to come back up into the water above the grit guard and contaminating your wash media.

2 grit guards sitting flat on the bottom of the bucket, stacked and offset doubles your insurance against stirring the grit back into the water you'll be washing with.

Just my 2 cents.

Kristopher1129
02-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Mine has a gap too. I actually prefer the gap, cause it's more of a buffer zone between what is on the other side of that gg, and my mitt or brush.

shoeless89
02-01-2012, 02:21 AM
They are not all the same diameter.

I stand corrected. Every 5 gallon bucket I've had has been pretty much the exact same. I guess I shouldn't ASSUME. I just experienced the ASS-ME part lol I hate admiting I'm wrong :D

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk