PDA

View Full Version : Topping waxes and sealants

Kaban
01-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Can you top any of the following?

Collinite 476
Collinite 845
BFWD paint sealant

I'm just curious if any of these three LSPs can be topped to become more durable than using them individually.

Anyone tried it with success? If so, which LSP did you apply first and which did you apply on top?

Thank you.

mwoolfso
01-31-2012, 06:49 AM
A lot of folks have mentioned in prior topics that they top BFWD with Collinite. It just depends on your personal preferences. Search the forum for "collinite" and you will see what folks have done in the past.

RandyD
01-31-2012, 07:11 AM
You can top a sealant like BFWD with a carnauba (colinite 845) but not the other way around.

Kaban
01-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Can you put 476 on top of BFWD? Would it result in a more durable protection than 476 or BFWD individually?

mwoolfso
01-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Can you put 476 on top of BFWD? Would it result in a more durable protection than 476 or BFWD individually?

I would go with 915 rather than 476, but both will work find on top of BFWD.

Kaban
01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys. I tried 845 and topped it with 476. I like how the 476 goes on easier and doesn't "stick" so much when you are applying it on a surface that's been treated with 845. Usually I find the 476 is a bit sticky when using it individually and applying it on a clean "non-slick" surface. I think I'll use this combo on my wheels from now on since I'm using a nano sealant on the paintwork.

DejaVu
02-01-2012, 07:47 AM
I use a single coat of 476 once per year on my car. I do use OCW occasionally after a wash. Application is very easy with the Autoglym hand applicator, the coat should be barely visible during application. Water beads on the paint all year long. I haven't washed my car since September and the paint is still beading water and is shinier than most peoples cars who go through a coin op wash. I don't think a topper is needed for durability or even looks, just a spray wax every now and then.

KneeDragr
02-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Ive never had any luck topping a durable product with a less durable one. The products seem to combine and you end up with the durability of the lesser of the two products. I have tried this with waxes, sealants and glazes. For instance I topped BFWD with Midnight Sun and water stopped beading tightly after 1 month. I topped FL1000p with Wet Glaze 2.0 and it was dead in less than 2 weeks.

Stang Man
02-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Ive never had any luck topping a durable product with a less durable one. The products seem to combine and you end up with the durability of the lesser of the two products. I have tried this with waxes, sealants and glazes. For instance I topped BFWD with Midnight Sun and water stopped beading tightly after 1 month. I topped FL1000p with Wet Glaze 2.0 and it was dead in less than 2 weeks.

This makes me wonder if the topper is bonding to the original layer, and being removed with it?

I've never tried, just curious!

MI Mike
02-01-2012, 09:34 AM
IMO. Topping Collinite with more than two coats is a waste of product and time.

It provides extended durability. Use it along with Duragloss combo and you do
not need to apply anything else. You can then apply your talents to tires, and
the interior, etc.

KneeDragr
02-01-2012, 09:47 AM
This makes me wonder if the topper is bonding to the original layer, and being removed with it?

I've never tried, just curious!

Well the products are designed to bond to paint, so I imagine they wont really bond well to another product, especially one that is designed to be slick at the molecular level.

I think products might be designed to bond together, for instance if you have a polymer based sealant, and the wax has been infused with that same polymer, it may be possible for them both to cross link if conditions and timing are right.

Otherwise my guess is the solvents in the wax will either remove the sealant, or the wax may simply wipe away leaving perhaps a glossy shine due to the oils in the wax, but those would probably be gone the first rain or wash.

All of this is my conjecture based on my experience BTW, but I would love to see tests of
Sealant vs Sealant + wax, vs Sealant + glaze.

I did see a test of sealant vs glaze topped with sealant, where the glaze was put down first, and the glaze was gone after the first watch as evidenced by the paint imperfections returning. Who knows if it took the sealant with it though.

FUNX650
02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm using a nano sealant on the paintwork.

Originally, I thought your "topping" question was for vehicles' panels-paintwork...Not wheels. (Although, IMO, if the wheels are 'clear-coat painted' then your inquiry may be "topping related" for them, as well). Glad that's been cleared-up.

Mostly out of curiosity..What is the nano sealant currently on the paintwork? Thanks.

:)

Bob