PDA

View Full Version : BMW wheels protectant

Noob
01-30-2012, 10:21 PM
What's a good solution to put on my wheels after cleaning them for protection and overall to keep the brake dust off?

AeroCleanse
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Clean the wheels with Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner, follow up with something like IronX next. If your OCD then clay. I would use something like Opti-Coat on the wheels to protect them.

embolism
01-30-2012, 11:54 PM
if you don't want to go the coating route, then something durable like collinite 845, optiseal, or even diluted KSG would work.

wash with car soap only after application cause once you hit them with wheel cleaner or APC, then you'll have to reapply.

tw33k2514
01-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Clean the wheels with Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner, follow up with something like IronX next. If your OCD then clay. I would use something like Opti-Coat on the wheels to protect them.

This.

Or you could put ceramic pads on the car and not worry about it ever again...

armoredsaint
01-31-2012, 12:32 AM
This.

Or you could put ceramic pads on the car and not worry about it ever again...

been there, done that to both my 2006 330i and 2009 335i M-Sport, both squealed like a stuck pig when stopping - i even bedded them correctly. i gave up after a week and went back to OEM.

OP: try the spray on synthetic sealants, it's so quick and stupid easy. i use Zaino Z-CS and Z-8 - awesome for wheels and Z-16 for tires :xyxthumbs:

http://images50.fotki.com/v1529/photos/7/499657/7560482/IMG_0015-vi.jpg

glen e
01-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Rejex polymer works great on BMW wheels. I've been using it for years. Brake dust hoses off very easily.

tw33k2514
01-31-2012, 01:22 AM
been there, done that to both my 2006 330i and 2009 335i M-Sport, both squealed like a stuck pig when stopping - i even bedded them correctly. i gave up after a week and went back to OEM.

Out of curiosity did you replace or cut the rotors on either of the cars when you tried the pads?
(sorry for the hijack, I am a mechanic, and have a curious mind...)

flyinion
01-31-2012, 02:26 AM
if you don't want to go the coating route, then something durable like collinite 845, optiseal, or even diluted KSG would work.

wash with car soap only after application cause once you hit them with wheel cleaner or APC, then you'll have to reapply.

Thanks for the tip. I nearly forgot about that, and just used some WG Spritz on my wheels on Saturday. Guess I better wash out my daytona brush really good too since I usually use 3:1 OPC on my wheels.

Meticulous-Detail
01-31-2012, 05:53 AM
What's a good solution to put on my wheels after cleaning them for protection and overall to keep the brake dust off?

Meguiars Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier is designed to cling to wheels, creating a barrier between the rims' surface and debris. Meguiars Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier allows dirt and grime to fall off with a quick rinse, making it easier and faster for you to clean your wheels. The quick spray application is unique among wheel protectants.

Meguiars Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier, wheel protectant, wheel wax (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-brake-dust-barrier.html)

flamed03vert
01-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Trying Ultima Trim and Tire Guard as a sealant on my Mini Cooper. I will let you all know the results...

armoredsaint
01-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Out of curiosity did you replace or cut the rotors on either of the cars when you tried the pads?
(sorry for the hijack, I am a mechanic, and have a curious mind...)

both cars had less than 100 miles before i switched the pads out - the rotors where just OEM. but i did notice over time there was less and less dusting. maybe because i used zaino on the wheels? :props: