PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove water spots with what I have on hand?

Pages : [1] 2

flyinion
01-30-2012, 02:46 PM
So, as near as I can tell I actually have water spots all over every window on my new Jeep. Not sure when it happened as you can really only see them if you are in a dark environment and shine a bright light (like a xenon bulb maglite) on them. You can see them at the right angle in sunlight as well but you don't really noticed them just looking through the window.

I tried a couple things to get rid of them last night and neither had an effect. First I sprayed a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water on a microfiber and wiped it on, let it sit for a few seconds and then tried to scrub. Nothing budged so I tried some leftover Mother's gold clay with ONR clay ratio and again nothing.

So.......
What I have left and am debating what to try is either WG TSR or finishing glaze on an orange or white pad. What do you guys think? Obviously I don't want to scratch the windows. Would some type of glass polish be better to keep that from happening? Or should I not have to worry with a paint polish?

tw33k2514
01-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Give TSR and an orange pad a shot. May not be aggressive enough, but worth a try.

Please make sure you clean the glass extremely well before you polish it though.

chevchenko
01-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Chrome polish, like mothers.

Detail_Dude
01-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Try Glass Scrub by Glass Science.

Malibulx3
01-30-2012, 06:59 PM
I know you said what's on hand, but I don't have any experience with any of those products in removing water spots, and this product can be found inexpensively and most likely locally.

The water spots I had to remove were really bad. I mean bad! I first tried to remove then with Optimum Compound and an orange flat foam pad. Even with that combo and like 5-6 passes, they were still there.

Then, I came across Duragloss 755: Nu-Glass. I was able to pick it up at Napa for around $9. (My Napa is very small and doesn't stock a lot of things, but they ordered it from the warehouse and had it there in a couple of hours). I applied it with the orange foam pad again, and after 3-4 passes, the glass was crystal clear! The only challenging part was getting into the corners, which I did by hand, and took much longer.

Here is a picture to get an idea of just how bad the water spots I started with were:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/MalibuLX3/DSC_0689.jpg

dad07
01-30-2012, 07:21 PM
another vote for DG if you can get it quick.....you'll be amazed at what it can really do!

S2K
01-30-2012, 07:26 PM
DP High Performance Glass Restorer removes etched water spots from auto glass and restores perfect clarity. Apply with a polisher or applicator for (http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html)

Vegas Transplant
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Malibulx3. Thank you for the addition to my arsenal. My current remedy is effective,though harsh.

rider9195
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Any polish will work. A glass polish like CarPro CeriGlass, DP Glass Restorer, or DG Nu-Glass will work better sometimes being that they are designed for glass. I would pick up some Nu-Glass locally. I know they carry it at NAPA.

van185
01-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't have any knowledge of the type of products that work either with what you might have on hand. I have removed a lot of water spots from glass with Diamondite Glasswork Restorer and the Zip Sponge. I was amazed at how good the product really is. It's a little expensive but does the trick.

BigBrad
01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
There's a product called "wink", it's a rust and stain remover for tubs, sinks and such.. I buy it at wall Mart for like 3 or 4 bucks! It's as thin as water, put it on a micro fiber and rub the glass, a lil elbow grease may be needed for the tougher ones but this stuff works awesome!! And cheap!! It's in a brown plastic bottle in the grocery section around the drano, liquid plumber section..

BigBrad
01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
If I knew how to upload a pic on here from my phone I would post a pi of it..

flyinion
01-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys, maybe I'll just look for some of the DG stuff. Once I find something that works I'll be sure to take before/afters and/or 50/50 so you can see what I was working with.

BWG707
01-31-2012, 07:32 AM
I've heard that #0000 steel wool works great for removing water spots. Never tried it yet myself but I read about people getting good results.

forrest@mothers
01-31-2012, 08:34 AM
We just started shipping our new Water Spot Remover for Glass (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06712.html)

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/product/images/06712.jpg