PDA

View Full Version : Griots 3" DA

Pages : [1] 2

CAMAROZL1
01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Im looking into getting the Griots 3" DA. Ive been looking for pads and do like LC Hydrotech pads. However they only come in 4". Does anybody think this will be a problem?

rider9195
01-29-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't think it will be a problem. But I see some members just using a 3.5 inch backing plate with 4 inch pads on a 7424XP or Griots DA for tight areas

daves120
01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
From my experience the 4 inch pads are too big. The polisher will not oscillate with those pads. Stick to the Griot's pads.

sillybinaries
01-29-2012, 07:13 PM
From my experience the 4 inch pads are too big. The polisher will not oscillate with those pads. Stick to the Griot's pads.

:iagree:

CAMAROZL1
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
thanks guys, looking at the griots pads I see orange is for polish and red is for waxes. What do you use for swirls? The yellow?

glen e
01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
yellow is a scrubber....use orange...I use orange for everything...

5.4 Shelby
01-29-2012, 07:33 PM
thanks guys, looking at the griots pads I see orange is for polish and red is for waxes. What do you use for swirls? The yellow?
Do not use yellow. These are designed to scrub rubber, canvas etc. Not for paint. Use orange pads for polishing.

You are not going to get major correction with this macihine anyway. It does not have a lot of power. As said above, stick to griots pads. Megs microfiber pads would be an option for you.

richy
01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
I have used the 4" with no problem. Just don't put too much downwards pressure or you'll stall it out.

TLMitchell
01-29-2012, 10:48 PM

You will be extremely unimpressed if you try to use the GG 3" for serious correction. It just isn't stout enough to keep the pad spinning when you apply the required pressure. I have used it successfully to remove light swirls but your technique needs to be perfect. Correction in the hard-to-reach areas I use the 3" isn't particularly noticable anyway.

The single best use I've found for the GG 3" is spreading wax or sealant and applying paint cleansers, especially on large roofs where you want to work one-handed. A light touch at a higher speed will keep a 4" pad spinning. Other than that forget about 4" pads.

Another handy use I've found for the 3" is polishing small shiney bits. I place the polisher upright between my knees using a wool pad and metal polish... a poor man's buffing wheel.

There's not a huge variety of 3" pads out there. They make 'em but nobody carries a real nice assortment. AG carries a few 3M, the GG and LC PFW in smaller sizes. If you're going to attempt correction the PFW work better than anything else I've tried. Buff & Shine makes small pads but I've found their velcro is a pain in the neck with the GG backing plate. They just don't want to stay put.

TL

glen e
01-29-2012, 11:15 PM
You will be extremely unimpressed if you try to use the GG 3" for serious correction. It just isn't stout enough to keep the pad spinning when you apply the required pressure. I have used it successfully to remove light swirls but your technique needs to be perfect. Correction in the hard-to-reach areas I use the 3" isn't particularly noticable anyway.

The single best use I've found for the GG 3" is spreading wax or sealant and applying paint cleansers, especially on large roofs where you want to work one-handed. A light touch at a higher speed will keep a 4" pad spinning. Other than that forget about 4" pads.

Another handy use I've found for the 3" is polishing small shiney bits. I place the polisher upright between my knees using a wool pad and metal polish... a poor man's buffing wheel.

There's not a huge variety of 3" pads out there. They make 'em but nobody carries a real nice assortment. AG carries a few 3M, the GG and LC PFW in smaller sizes. If you're going to attempt correction the PFW work better than anything else I've tried. Buff & Shine makes small pads but I've found their velcro is a pain in the neck with the GG backing plate. They just don't want to stay put.

TL

I agree with this 100% - if you want to do correction - in small areas - set up a rotary like this - 3 inch wool pad with meg's extender on a flex...or put the griots orange pad on the 3 inch plate:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/2e6aed6f.jpg

tw33k2514
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I think your better off getting a small BP for the DA than buying the 3" machine.

TLMitchell
01-30-2012, 08:56 AM
I think your better off getting a small BP for the DA than buying the 3" machine.

Depends on your point of view...for correction, yes. But when you're standing on a platform trying to reach the middle of a large truck roof or SUV when applying wax or sealant one-handed, especially after lugging a rotary around all day, you'll think the 3" GG is the best thing since sliced bread. YMMV.

TL

The Pad Man
01-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Look for the 3" Hydro pads

TLMitchell
01-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Look for the 3" Hydro pads

Where would you suggest one might look? New future release or existing product?

According to the LC Web site... at least last year when you could find things before they revamped it... LC makes almost every pad in 3 & 3.5" sizes as well as varying thicknesses. Nobody carries them. I've found one guy that carries 3.5" orange and white CCS pads.

I e-mailed LC Customer Service as well as PM'd you last year inquiring about the possibility of buying direct. No responses. Nothing.

TL

CAMAROZL1
01-30-2012, 05:03 PM

TL

TL, yes looking for correction and to polish chrome and bumpers. I'm still new to detailing and done only 3 cars. The small areas are hard to get done correctly and was looking for something that could handle the job. Based off this information and others. I might just go for a different backing plate with a 4" pad. Has that worked for you or anyone else on the forum?