PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen this?

TheGuyWho
01-29-2012, 01:45 PM
I assumed this was just water spots. It looks like someone ran thru a puddle and the water spray just dried, but I washed it, and scrubbed the area, then clay bared, and really worked the area with clay again, but nothing worked. I just used Megs105 and it got rid of the surface marks, but these are deep. I think they actually left scratches in the clear. I took some pictures, and I apologize, they are not very good, but here you go.
After clay, but no #105:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb99/spartacus3/27376189.jpg
After clay & #105, but if you look closely you can still see the markings. Unfortunately my camera just wouldnt pick them up really, so you kinda have to look a little harder.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb99/spartacus3/566671bc.jpg

Rsurfer
01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
When you say, they left scratches in the clear..is this a re-paint?

Kaban
01-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Most likely a repaint. Could be sand scratches or how the paint reacted with the clearcoat could have caused this also. For example, if not enough time was given for the base coat to cure before clearing. It could be many factors.

TheGuyWho
01-29-2012, 04:13 PM
When you say, they left scratches in the clear..is this a re-paint?

No, not a repaint. Just severely neglected paint…
And its only on the bottom of the doors. It literally looks like someone drove thru a dirty puddle and the water just dried on the paint like a water spot, but even the Megs 105 isn't enough to get it off. Ive been working on it all day and ive gotten nowhere.

TheGuyWho
01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
If Meg's #105 isnt working, what else can I do? If anything? I guess this is just more clear coat damage… This car is a pain in the ass!!

BobbyG
01-29-2012, 04:25 PM
The cracking or checking in the first photo looks like clear coat failure to me...

TheGuyWho
01-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Heres a better picture of an area thats untouched:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb99/spartacus3/70c85dfe.jpg

Rayaz
01-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Looks like an adheasion problem between color and clear to me. If the polish isn't doing anything, it's because there is nothing there to polish.

opie_7afe
01-29-2012, 07:37 PM
why not just sell that mustang as is and focus your efforts on something else, when you sell it say it needs a repaint, you will have to disclose that regardless and in all honesty why try to fix this paint when it is that bad that you keep comming across clearcoat failure issues. i would just leave it alone and let the next owner worry about it unless you want to own the car. not trying to sound mean or anything but its just a waste of your time. the needing a repaint will distract from the shiny flawless paint anyways, i know because my front end needs all new paint and all you see at first glance is bad paint not the shiny paint.

Rsurfer
01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Have you considered wet-sanding?

If Meg's #105 isnt working, what else can I do? If anything? I guess this is just more clear coat damage… This car is a pain in the ass!!

TheGuyWho
01-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Have you considered wet-sanding?

Its crossed my mind. But I dont have the knowledge of how to actually do it. And I really dont feel comfortable doing it either. I would love to learn how, but I dont think I want to waste more time than I need to on this particular car.

TheGuyWho
01-29-2012, 11:40 PM
why not just sell that mustang as is and focus your efforts on something else, when you sell it say it needs a repaint, you will have to disclose that regardless and in all honesty why try to fix this paint when it is that bad that you keep comming across clearcoat failure issues. i would just leave it alone and let the next owner worry about it unless you want to own the car. not trying to sound mean or anything but its just a waste of your time. the needing a repaint will distract from the shiny flawless paint anyways, i know because my front end needs all new paint and all you see at first glance is bad paint not the shiny paint.

I guess I just enjoy the challenge…