PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use/tried Mother's FX or Reflections Spray Wax?

Pages : [1] 2

ltoman
03-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey,
I was just messing around at Pep Boy's and I bought the following two spray waxes:
Mother's Reflections and Mother's FX. Both synthetic.
I tried both of them with the same result - UGH!!
One of them was left smeared all over the van - but that may be because it was on an unwaxed surface. ???? That was the FX. And I applied it while the van was wet, which would have diluted it. Took a couple of washes to get rid of the smears. ugh!

Then on the vette last night - I tried to use the Mother's Reflections after the wash - I sprayed it lightly, wiped to let it haze, and went back to remove it with a mf towel. Just like directions said. Oh my God! I couldn't get it off. Felt like I was scratching up the whole hood! I went and got AW and lightly used that to get it off and now it looks fine.
Yikes.
I know I have a heavy hand, but I have never had an issue like this with original CM, AW, or QS.
What is the deal?
ANyone want to try some and tell me?
Feed back please Thank you everyone!
lauren:)

nick19
03-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Did you apply them in the sun?

ltoman
03-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Did you apply them in the sun?

Nope, neither one. When the sun was down and it was cool.
??

nick19
03-02-2007, 02:45 PM
How long did you let it "sit" on the car? Usually anything past 10 minutes, will result in tough removal. Cali's humidity is much like FL's..

ltoman
03-02-2007, 03:03 PM
How long did you let it "sit" on the car? Usually anything past 10 minutes, will result in tough removal. Cali's humidity is much like FL's..

No, we are pretty dry here. You have a lot more humidity.
No, it certainly did not sit more than ten minutes - 5 or less at most.

nick19
03-02-2007, 03:05 PM
No, we are pretty dry here. You have a lot more humidity.
No, it certainly did not sit more than ten minutes - 5 or less at most.

Oh, thought it was humid there as well.. nevermind.

Could it be expired? lol

ltoman
03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Oh, thought it was humid there as well.. nevermind.

Could it be expired? lol

Never thought of that, but the bottles do not appear old at all. One of them was a last left in stock.

Maybe someone else on the forum has tried it?

No, if CA was humid, I would just move to Hawaii. That stops us.

nick19
03-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Never thought of that, but the bottles do not appear old at all. One of them was a last left in stock.

Maybe someone else on the forum has tried it?

No, if CA was humid, I would just move to Hawaii. That stops us.

Were they on sale when you bought them?

ltoman
03-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Were they on sale when you bought them?

No, not clearance or anything like that. Full price, updated packaging....
Maybe I am just the AG village idiot!
I think perhaps they just are -- well I don't know!!!
Confused!

Al-53
03-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Lauren

Actually those two products are very good...it seems like you used to much...I used the both before and had very good results...I never used on a wet surface also...but rule of thumb is 1 spray per panel is enough and 2 for hood...

The way I used them was spray on dry paint..wipe in with a MF applicator pad with a little already sprayed on the pad..very little to just prime it..and let haze and wipe off...

remember....more is problems..less is a easy...

also they do give a nice look....

reflections gives more of the carnauba look and FX gives a sealant look...

I am not a advocate of using products like this on wet cars..even tho they say it can be used like this...I tried it once and it was a nightmare...

try just ONE spray per panel and wipe it in...let haze and wipe off...see if that does any better...

AL

Nuke33
03-02-2007, 03:51 PM
That sucks never used them i have the FX non spray its liquid but have not used it yet

ScottB
03-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I dont particulary find the Mothers FX line to be "all that". Even the wheel cleaner acts like an acid based wash. Now if I HAD to use an OTC product I would go to the Reflections line for outcome. I think it has the nicest look.

As you have found, it is not always so easy working with OTC products. Thus why boutiques (like Pinnacle) have an edge.

SVTContour
03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
I agree with AL on this one. They are both good products that I use frequently that I find quite easy to apply/remove. Reflections spray wax takes maybe 5 more minutes to use than FX being that it is a little thicker. The way I use Reflections spray wax is to first shake the bottle thoroughly then I spray a squirt or two onto a Cobra Miracle towel or Super Plush Jr. that is folded into quarters then I spread on the surface, allow to dry, then I buff off with a full size Cobra Super Plush (blue one). I get perfect results each and everytime. I do this with a wet or dry vehicle, actually a little bit of water on the car helps to spread the product.

ltoman
03-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I dont particulary find the Mothers FX line to be "all that". Even the wheel cleaner acts like an acid based wash. Now if I HAD to use an OTC product I would go to the Reflections line for outcome. I think it has the nicest look.

As you have found, it is not always so easy working with OTC products. Thus why boutiques (like Pinnacle) have an edge.
You can say that again. Think I will stick to AG stuff.
These are for hubby and son now...lol...maybe...
Oh I will be the one using them on husband's vehicles anyway, so it is all the same.......................
Thank you, everyone.

ltoman
03-02-2007, 06:06 PM
I agree with AL on this one. They are both good products that I use frequently that I find quite easy to apply/remove. Reflections spray wax takes maybe 5 more minutes to use than FX being that it is a little thicker. The way I use Reflections spray wax is to first shake the bottle thoroughly then I spray a squirt or two onto a Cobra Miracle towel or Super Plush Jr. that is folded into quarters then I spread on the surface, allow to dry, then I buff off with a full size Cobra Super Plush (blue one). I get perfect results each and everytime. I do this with a wet or dry vehicle, actually a little bit of water on the car helps to spread the product.

Yes, I bet you and Al are right - I STILL sprayed too much. I am not sure I would necessarily buy them again tho - maybe for a beater.....that's it tho.

Many thanks to all!